You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GUNS N' ROSES Rumor: IZZY STRADLIN To Take Limited Role In Reunion Rea

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

There were several dates Izzy agreed to play with GNR where he no showed, as recently as the Vegas gigs in 2014. They literally had no idea when he would decide to show up.

So for that he's one of two most irresponsible/undependable headaches?! Big fuckin deal mate. He was only a guest star at that stage.. Think you're being a bit harsh on him tbh.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

There were several dates Izzy agreed to play with GNR where he no showed, as recently as the Vegas gigs in 2014. They literally had no idea when he would decide to show up.

So for that he's one of two most irresponsible/undependable headaches?! Big fuckin deal mate. He was only a guest star at that stage.. Think you're being a bit harsh on him tbh.

Yeah. You tell people you're going to be somewhere and no show several times, yeah, that's a trend, man... They finally took the position that Izzy can show up whenever he wants. I don't see how I'm being harsh, especially when people used to brag how rock n roll his behavior was. Axl used to say something like he'd be waiting for him to show up in 2006 for a show and find out after he no showed that Izzy decided to go dirtbiking in India instead.

Yeah, I would say counting on Izzy for a tour that will quite possibly bring over a hundred million, that I would be a bit concerned over Izzy showing up from night to night.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy will be there if it was something big.

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

Steven couldn't keep his shit together to open for Loaded in Japan. Then turns around and blames Duff for not being sensitive enough because he's a drunk. If you think his only meltdown/fuck up was farm aid, I don't know what to tell you neutral

I don't think that was an overreach.

I was talking about Stevens time in guns & how often he jeopardised gigs/things. But I forgot that he bust his hand/or was in rehab once before that & they had to bring in don Henley.

misterID wrote:

I don't see how I'm being harsh, especially when people used to brag how rock n roll his behavior was. Axl used to say something like he'd be waiting for him to show up in 2006 for a show and find out after he no showed that Izzy decided to go dirtbiking in India instead.

Yeah, I would say counting on Izzy for a tour that will quite possibly bring over a hundred million, that I would be a bit concerned over Izzy showing up from night to night.

O....k then. Well.. Ok. Whatever you think man.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Adler is okay now and I am sure Izzy would be there if everyone else was.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

We should not be grouping Izzy with Adler, those are two completely different things.

Absolutely.

You can have Izzy involved without Adler. No reason to bring Adler in if Izzy isn't there. Big difference.

Adler only makes sense for an AFD shindig for a song or a show.

With Izzy involved it improves the set list by at least two songs and improves the backing vocals immensely.

I don't care if he's eating chicken wings in Buffalo or bike riding in Timbuktu.... it doesn't change this fact.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The key question though is if these people are reliable and dependable COMPARED TO THE EXISTING OPTIONS.

Richard Fortus - Currently serving his 15th straight year in GNR. Has never resigned from the band. Does not do drugs. Has put up with everything Axl's way fuss free since day one. Mostly keeps his mouth shut to the media. Overqualified guitar ability wise for the rhythm section. Already knows every song. Only other work has been as a professional session/touring guitarist - until recent bike accident had never cancelled or missed any type of show for anyone. This guy defines professional musician.

Frank Ferrer - 10 years under Axl's rule in modern GNR. No drug use. Has demonstrated professional loyalty to the band such as finishing a show with a broken foot (Australia).

And the alternatives:

Izzy: Obviously the most legit GNR guy out there - but has a history of doing what suits himself. Bailed on the UYI tour back in the day, has made guest appearances from time to time since then, but never for a serious length of time - just when he feels like doing a show or two. Is known to "blow off" stuff when the bullshit meter gets too high - did this during UYI recordings - and many other Izzy associates tell similar stories - such as that one where he said he was going to get a drink during rehearsals for his own band - and just walking out and not returning at all. No one knew if he would come to the hall of fame or not. Also bailed on VR when he didn't want a singer. Get the impression is difficult to contact too as he might be at home one day then walking the sahara the next. Most of his projects appear to be part time or informally organised. Cool guy but basically hasn't demonstrated any willingness to go back into Axl's world full time or put up with the way things would be or do anything of this scale. He's showed up a few times cos it was fun and he felt like it and he can. Not dissing him - just saying - if you are Axl and making a choice...can he rely on Izzy to do a 20+ date tour and put up with whatever GNR tout drama may occur?

Steven - one of the most notorious junkies in Rock and Roll. Let them down so much in the past they actually fired him even when half the rest of the band at least were on drugs themselves! Has had one of the most storied attempts at trying to get clean and failing more times than anyone can count. Never put up with Axl being in charge even back in the day and seems to be relatively erratic still ("I love the new band. Great Guys. Fucking Scabs that arn't GNR"). Basically shows little chance of being an obedient employee. Duff doubts he is clean now. Has the worst record of staying clean in the band - a band which includes notorious junkies and substance abusers like Slash!

So look, of course all the fans want the real GNR and Izzy and Steven for that reason, but are we really doubting that it's not a reliable choice for Axl? Have a look at those 4 guys resumes and life histories and tell me which two you would put your faith in if you are plotting a "massive project".

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hahah here's a fun way to consider it.

Imagine the AFD 5 have announced a 20 date USA tour. The plan is to then do an AFD remaster and go global in 2017.

Would you bet $1000 that:

(a) Despite reliving his glory days, and going on one of the most important tours of recent music history, Steven Adler will remain sober and agree to anything and everything Axl wants.

(b) Izzy will be 100% cool with the pressure, media and general insanity of a reunion tour. He will absolutely show up to everyone on time, no questions asked. If any of Axl's modern traits - such as team brazil style seclusion and secrecy occur - Izzy will be 100% down with that and agree to do what he is told when he is told it. He will be everywhere exactly as planned and not deviate in any way.

So now, instead of imagining your virtual $1000, think about putting up tens of millions of dollars onto the line for the same bet.....meanwhile you have a workable relationship with Richard and Frank...who let's face it....if they are alive that day will be there and not cause any problems....I can see why it's a hard choice for Axl.

misterID

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

Steven couldn't keep his shit together to open for Loaded in Japan. Then turns around and blames Duff for not being sensitive enough because he's a drunk. If you think his only meltdown/fuck up was farm aid, I don't know what to tell you neutral

I don't think that was an overreach.

I was talking about Stevens time in guns & how often he jeopardised gigs/things. But I forgot that he bust his hand/or was in rehab once before that & they had to bring in don Henley.

misterID wrote:

I don't see how I'm being harsh, especially when people used to brag how rock n roll his behavior was. Axl used to say something like he'd be waiting for him to show up in 2006 for a show and find out after he no showed that Izzy decided to go dirtbiking in India instead.

O....k then. Well.. Ok. Whatever you think man.

I don't think you can ignore the last thirty years of fuck ups, and only count the four years of fuck ups when he was actually in the band.

No, I don't think Izzy is reliable.

tongue

misterID

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hahah here's a fun way to consider it.

Imagine the AFD 5 have announced a 20 date USA tour. The plan is to then do an AFD remaster and go global in 2017.

Would you bet $1000 that:

(a) Despite reliving his glory days, and going on one of the most important tours of recent music history, Steven Adler will remain sober and agree to anything and everything Axl wants.

(b) Izzy will be 100% cool with the pressure, media and general insanity of a reunion tour. He will absolutely show up to everyone on time, no questions asked. If any of Axl's modern traits - such as team brazil style seclusion and secrecy occur - Izzy will be 100% down with that and agree to do what he is told when he is told it. He will be everywhere exactly as planned and not deviate in any way.

So now, instead of imagining your virtual $1000, think about putting up tens of millions of dollars onto the line for the same bet.....meanwhile you have a workable relationship with Richard and Frank...who let's face it....if they are alive that day will be there and not cause any problems....I can see why it's a hard choice for Axl.

Izzy will show up to what's fun. I think the first five shows would be fun, but show twenty five or thirty, wouldn't look too fun.

I think the stress Slash and Duff would feel to deal and babysit and worry about Steven is a non starter. I don't know if Steven could make it through rehearsals, tbh.

Board footer