You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES Rumor: IZZY STRADLIN To Take Limited Role In Reunion Rea

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Izzy: Get the impression is difficult to contact too as he might be at home one day then walking the sahara the next.

He's like Bill Murray was to Ghostbusters for decades.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
misterID wrote:

There were several dates Izzy agreed to play with GNR where he no showed, as recently as the Vegas gigs in 2014.

Can't defend most of the points monkeychow raised, but Izzy never confirmed those dates ID. gtrunk at GNR Truth later admitted that he started that Vegas rumor:-

gtrunk.jpg

Of course the original post has now been deleted, maybe because I referenced it previously when the "Izzy bailed on Vegas" thing came up smile

I'd still attend an Axl/Slash/Duff gig, sorry if my posts last night didn't come across that way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Also bailed on VR when he didn't want a singer.

Rightfully so. He basically wanted to do a project with a reunited GNR with him and Duff on vocals. I drool at the thought of how that would've sounded at the time. The other guys wanted another shot at massive success(they got it). Izzy walked.

You seriously blame him for that?

Hahah here's a fun way to consider it.
Imagine the AFD 5 have announced a 20 date USA tour. The plan is to then do an AFD remaster and go global in 2017.
Would you bet $1000 that:
(a) Despite reliving his glory days, and going on one of the most important tours of recent music history, Steven Adler will remain sober and agree to anything and everything Axl wants.
(b) Izzy will be 100% cool with the pressure, media and general insanity of a reunion tour. He will absolutely show up to everyone on time, no questions asked.

Yes I think he can handle a 20 date tour. Why would he deal with the media? Other than a handful of interviews 87-91, he didn't bother with them back then either.

All he has to do is show up to the city, go onstage for the show, go to the next city, repeat cycle. He can do the tour with minimal contact with anyone.

Richard Fortus - Currently serving his 15th straight year in GNR. Has never resigned from the band. Does not do drugs. Has put up with everything Axl's way fuss free since day one. Mostly keeps his mouth shut to the media. Overqualified guitar ability wise for the rhythm section. Already knows every song. Only other work has been as a professional session/touring guitarist - until recent bike accident had never cancelled or missed any type of show for anyone. This guy defines professional musician.

We hear this every year about Fortus.

I'll still take Izzy without hesitation. Show me one thing from Fortus that stacks up to anything Izzy has done. You can even exclude all of Izzy's work in GNR. Hell, Izzy's backing vocals alone puts him a light year above Fortus in the GNR equation.

Yes Fortus is reliable. If no Izzy.... I'll take him as long as it leads to something.

I'm more interested in music being released than I am who is going to be onstage each night to bust out Jungle.

I liked what gtrunk did. Nothing wrong with calling out some bullshitters. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fortus has nothing distinctive about him.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I liked what gtrunk did. Nothing wrong with calling out some bullshitters. 16

Yeah I wasn't taking a dig at gtrunk, just wanted to point out that it was a forum rumor which he'd owned up to so fans can't really blame Izzy for not attending.

I think their was a gig maybe in 2010 somewhere in Europe where Axl told the crowd that Izzy was supposed to be their that night but nobody knew where he was, so ID's point isn't completely false...... just the Vegas bit cool

Another reason I'm not excited about the GNR news, aside from no confirmation of Izzys involvement, is the fact that it's only USA and Mexico confirmed so far. When the band comes to Europe I'll be hopping on the bandwagon axl 21 duff

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The other guys wanted another shot at massive success(they got it). Izzy walked.

You seriously blame him for that?

Blame isn't the right word exactly...but more...that incident speaks to his mindset which is relevant here. When UYI got crazy he left, when VR set course for superstardom - he left. He's basically hidden from his fame and lives a happy go lucky lifestyle. The music he does is clearly for artistic or fun sake rather than any attempt to go mainstream or recapture success.

Basically there's nothing about the guy that suggests he would be interested in the type of insanity and media scrutiny that a worldwide GNR reunion tour might produce, and no indication that he'd stick around for the long haul.

My opinion is he'd do a handful of shows then move on again. You want to go to the school reunion - not go back to school wink

We hear this every year about Fortus.  I'll still take Izzy without hesitation. Show me one thing from Fortus that stacks up to anything Izzy has done.

We're talking about a touring line up though.

God knows if there's any higher power it will lead to a musical release of some kind, perhaps with a reissue of AFD30 next year, but right now all we know they plan for sure is a tour, and given the usual "step by step" approach of team brazil. I think it's safe to assume USA tour, followed perhaps by some international dates - doubt much as been speculated beyond that yet.

I don't see Slash giving interviews about CD2 or UYI3 yet, I hear him saying he's going back to conspirators in a year.

So the question isn't which player is better for GNR or for us fans....it's what would Axl Slash and Duff do here?

Izzy is an old pal so it's probably more fun with him - recapture your youth and all that. Tour has more legitimacy publicly. Then again he has a history of vanishing when things get extreme and this is a "massive project" or whatever. He'd probably have to be paid more than a fill in too.

If it were me I'd give Izzy a call and expect him to do a few shows, but I'd be keeping richard on hand too.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

Also bailed on VR when he didn't want a singer.

Rightfully so. He basically wanted to do a project with a reunited GNR with him and Duff on vocals. I drool at the thought of how that would've sounded at the time.

Like this?

As good as that sounds, Slash, Duff and Izzy need a charismatic frontman with serious vocal skills. Not least because anything they do is going to be compared to Axl – Izzy and Duff are perfectly good on backing vocals, but their lead vocals won't cut it when people have Axl in the back of their minds.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That would be true if they're looking to be in the Top 10 and do a major arena tour. Izzy didn't give a shit about that and I have no problem listening to music that wont be in constant radio rotation. Ben Shepherd is perfect as SG's bassist/backing vocals but that doesn't mean I cant enjoy his Hater and Wellwater Conspiracy albums. Hardly no one listened to those albums and they sure as shit didn't chart and I doubt he expected them to.

Izzy probably felt the same way. He just wanted to do something with those guys. They had other plans.

A year after SG broke up, Matt and Ben did this project. So basically you think they shouldn't have even bothered since Cornell isn't involved? He definitely could've improved it but I'm glad they released it. You get to hear what 2/4 of Soundgarden could come up with out of that environment.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

As good as that sounds, Slash, Duff and Izzy need a charismatic frontman with serious vocal skills. Not least because anything they do is going to be compared to Axl – Izzy and Duff are perfectly good on backing vocals, but their lead vocals won't cut it when people have Axl in the back of their minds.

It wouldn't cut it when they were looking to become a "new" GN'R type band, but as a fan I would take their vocals over any of the lead singers that have been in their bands over the years. If you can't replace Axl you should do something different. Izzy and Duff are more than competent as singers to pull it off.

In the end VR gave them some hits, but I doubt if many will care about those albums down the line. A bare bones project with Izzy could have been a classic.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For my personal taste I disagree.

Izzy is a great songwriter, Duff is a great bass player.

But Rock bands are always better with a dedicated vocalist IMO.

Board footer