You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: SLASH Gets New GUNS N' ROSES Guitar Pick (Photo)

monkeychow wrote:
Major Mayhem wrote:

I also believe that GNR know exactly what they're doing with (lack of) promotion and it's working really well.  They've sold out all the shows they've announced and, depending on if Axl sounds good and performs well, they'll be able to charge even more if there is a summer tour.

I would paint the lack of promotion as part of a plan, except it's basically the same thing Axl did for all of the Chinese Democracy tours and his album, so I see it more as just he doesn't like the media too much, and it's how everything will always go.

Obviously Slash and Duff's silence is deliberate but I think their plan is simply: "It used to make Axl mad when we talked - let's not fuck this up"

Adler and Matt I would hesitate to guess are in flux and so are keeping their mouth shut as a play to end up in the band. May not work but running their mouth will guarantee they don't get the gig.

As for it working really well, these shows were destined to sell out. GNR was so important back in the day, and the Axl/Slash feud was one of the longest and most well publicised falling outs in rock history that there was no chance of them not being able to sell out some early appearances.

To me what this shows is that the brand is strong enough to flourish DESPITE the silent approach to business, rather than because of it.

Major Mayhem
 Rep: 6 

Major Mayhem wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Major Mayhem wrote:

I also believe that GNR know exactly what they're doing with (lack of) promotion and it's working really well.  They've sold out all the shows they've announced and, depending on if Axl sounds good and performs well, they'll be able to charge even more if there is a summer tour.

I would paint the lack of promotion as part of a plan, except it's basically the same thing Axl did for all of the Chinese Democracy tours and his album, so I see it more as just he doesn't like the media too much, and it's how everything will always go.

Obviously Slash and Duff's silence is deliberate but I think their plan is simply: "It used to make Axl mad when we talked - let's not fuck this up"

Adler and Matt I would hesitate to guess are in flux and so are keeping their mouth shut as a play to end up in the band. May not work but running their mouth will guarantee they don't get the gig.

As for it working really well, these shows were destined to sell out. GNR was so important back in the day, and the Axl/Slash feud was one of the longest and most well publicised falling outs in rock history that there was no chance of them not being able to sell out some early appearances.

To me what this shows is that the brand is strong enough to flourish DESPITE the silent approach to business, rather than because of it.

I concur, and will add that they've waited to announce a summer tour until after these first shows, using the performances as a way to sell it.  It's word of mouth advertising.

When Chinese Democracy was released, it didnt get a lot of publicity because those who were interested knew it was coming out and those who didn't would have heard about it through the little attention it did get.

Axl Rose has learned the hard way to keep the media at arms length.

Major Mayhem

Major Mayhem wrote:

It would have been great if we'd got another Wayne's World out of this, focused on Wayne and Garth's attempts to reunite Guns N' Roses.

AtariLegend wrote:
Major Mayhem wrote:

It would have been great if we'd got another Wayne's World out of this, focused on Wayne and Garth's attempts to reunite Guns N' Roses.

I think Mike Myers has made enough sequels for a life time, Wayne's World 3 isn't a good idea. It's been decades since his last funny film sad.

Major Mayhem

Major Mayhem wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I think Mike Myers has made enough sequels for a life time, Wayne's World 3 isn't a good idea. It's been decades since his last funny film sad.

Maybe a short film shown before the first show.

They just need to follow the formula of the first two with GnR references. 

"A little November Rain anyone?" 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Bringing up pop culture things like that reinforces the point of how this would have been even more massive had it happened 10 years ago. The world has changed a LOT in those 10 years. Social media has had a massive impact on media in general and in peoples personal lives. The coverage of this event would've been different at the time.

Board footer