You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: What a GNR set list/discography without Izzy Stradlin looks like

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Might be an assumption but I am strictly sticking to songs he is credited with either writing or co-writing. Kinda hard for a song to exist if one of its writers does not.

That entirely depends on the writing process though.

I'm sure at times Izzy came in with an entire structure, Axl sang over it, Slash soloed over it....you're right...those ones wouldn't exist in the GNR catalogue.

However I bet there's also times where Axl came in with a song basis, or Slash with a riff, and Izzy was the one who played some stuff over the existing idea or suggested small changes.....in those cases something similar to the song would exist.

Take 14 years, Izzy wrote the verses and Axl wrote the chorus. So 14 years wouldn't exist. But that chorus might exist. Likewise if Slash didn't play that bluesy solo in 14 years, i suspect it would have found it's way onto a similar track on day.

If you really want to imagine GNR with no Izzy, look at the best of Slash's solo album songs - then imagine those riffs with Axl's voice and lyrics, and then look at the best of the CD era songs and imagine them with Slash riffs and solos. That's a much closer approximation.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Might be an assumption but I am strictly sticking to songs he is credited with either writing or co-writing. Kinda hard for a song to exist if one of its writers does not.

That entirely depends on the writing process though.

I'm sure at times Izzy came in with an entire structure, Axl sang over it, Slash soloed over it....you're right...those ones wouldn't exist in the GNR catalogue.

However I bet there's also times where Axl came in with a song basis, or Slash with a riff, and Izzy was the one who played some stuff over the existing idea or suggested small changes.....in those cases something similar to the song would exist.

Take 14 years, Izzy wrote the verses and Axl wrote the chorus. So 14 years wouldn't exist. But that chorus might exist. Likewise if Slash didn't play that bluesy solo in 14 years, i suspect it would have found it's way onto a similar track on day.

If you really want to imagine GNR with no Izzy, look at the best of Slash's solo album songs - then imagine those riffs with Axl's voice and lyrics, and then look at the best of the CD era songs and imagine them with Slash riffs and solos. That's a much closer approximation.

Exactly. Great post monkey.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Or look at the amount of crap.

Izzy was the best.
They should've followed his vision/direction. The place he was in during the UYI songs was the best.
He was the catalyst for their strongest material.
They fucked up not latching onto Izzy for dear life. Best guy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The amount of crap?  I really like Axl and Slash's solo songs.

And I think most of Izzy's GNR songs would be boring if they Izzy solo.

How would YCBM be or SCOM without Axl and Slash?

I like izzy he brings good structures in for the band to work with...but lets not get carried away...the sound of GNR is Axl and Slash.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

To me, there's no denying Izzy's input to GN'R when he was there - awesome riffage like Brownstone and Nightrain wouldn't exist without him.

But my question is, where is that type of stuff amongst is solo work?
His solo work sounds like kinda bland 3 chord rock, and I say that in the nicest way too, because I don't really hear any genius songwriting, or genius riffing that you guys are referring to. Even that Baby Ran song... what a snoozefest... 10

Again, just my opinion, from what I hear.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The amount of crap?  I really like Axl and Slash's solo songs.

Different strokes for different strokes. Seldom was a truer word spoken.

metallex78 wrote:

His solo work sounds like kinda bland 3 chord rock, and I say that in the nicest way too, because I don't really hear any genius songwriting,

Jeez.. Wouldn't want to hear you when you're not being nice! wink
Tho actually I would, that's not true. I would like to hear you when you're being harsh. Lay it out there.

But yea his solo work is just pure classic rock. That's all. He's tapped into the source. A classic American songwriter. Not that he's just limited to Americana, tho he's clearly a master of the genre. He has a breadth & understanding of the traditional influences of r n b & rock n roll that the others take for granted or don't understand, or lose track of in striving for some phony, misjudged & unnecessary complexity. I guess the sum of Izzys influences are more appealing than those of Slash n Axl. For me, obviously.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

To me, there's no denying Izzy's input to GN'R when he was there - awesome riffage like Brownstone and Nightrain wouldn't exist without him.

His solo work sounds like kinda bland 3 chord rock, and I say that in the nicest way too, because I don't really hear any genius songwriting, or genius riffing that you guys are referring to. Even that Baby Ran song... what a snoozefest... 10

Again, just my opinion, from what I hear.

This, a thousand times this! The whole exercise is conjecture, and it could be that you'd be stuck with a much less impressive list of songs, but you might just as well have a whole list of songs that were 10 times better than some of the Izzy stuff, or a bunch of songs on the same level. There's no way of knowing and the only thing you can say for sure is that it would've been different.

Looking at their post-GNR catalogue thought, I fully agree with Metallex, Izzy's solo stuff is just bland middle-of-the-road rock that fails to excite me in even the slightest way. Izzy's contributions to GNR were massive, and absolutely instrument to their overall sound, but looking at their respective solo careers, it seems to me that Izzy needed the GNR band environment to be inspired and pushed much more than any of the other guys. His talents are undeniable, but he doesn't seem to push himself very hard.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great posts guys!  The Mole, Monkey, and Metallex all make great points.

Looks like Izzy is a good singer song writer type but the balls and the hard rock vibe come from Slash/Axl. Reminds me of when Slash showed how Brownstone was created.  Izzy's brownstone riff was very tame. Slash modified it, per Slash, to give it a real kick in the ass. He played it both ways, Izzy's way then the album version. There is no comparison. They all needed each other.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The amount of crap?

Maybe he's also pointing out how some say Izzy's solo stuff is kinda bland but we're supposed to look at Axl and Slash's best material when imagining them without Izzy.

That's an unfair advantage. Also take into account that in the post Izzy era of GNR, Axl and Slash worked with legends and couldn't come close to what they did in 87-91 yet this doesn't get pointed out whie Izzy released very low key solo albums.

I bet Izzy could whip up something interesting if he had Buckethead, Tommy Stinson, Brain, Scott Weiland,etc. at his disposal.

As far as the lack of Dust N Bones/GNR songs in his post GNR discography, this is a fair point but I'm not seeing much of it in the other discogs either.

When Izzy did join up with VR before bailing, supposedly the best GNR album never heard was recorded. 12 years later we're still waiting to hear it. Axl called Izzy several times during the CD saga for songs. Apparently they realize what he's capable of bringing to their table.

but you might just as well have a whole list of songs that were 10 times better than some of the Izzy stuff, or a bunch of songs on the same level. There's no way of knowing and the only thing you can say for sure is that it would've been different.

Fair point but I wish that post Izzy UYI lineup had released this 10x better stuff instead of releasing covers after he left.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Best Post Izzy GNR related songs off top of my head:

Beggars
Back and Forth Again
Been Here Lately
Ain't Life Grand
Set Me Free
slither
You got no right