You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

BBC are bringing up the petition on news reports now after the media were downplaying it earlier in the day. Expect the petition to really start picking up votes.

That said, at most the petition will be discussed then dismissed. I don't think it'll go anywhere, but it's important that it's discussed that alot of people didn't vote for this.

James Lofton wrote:

I understand people fearing the coming unknown but on this side of the pond, you discuss these things before voting, not after a vote while begging for another chance to vote, and then after that vote, another one...

These thinks weren't really discussed though. The past several months have just been inflammatory nonsense/lies with people yelling "you're wrong"... kind of like on an Internet forum.

Their's been discussion about immigration and numbers being paid, but no explanation of what money is actually spent on. Lots of mentions of red tape, no explanation that many of those things the Tories call red tape are actually our rights.

It's been all about propaganda. This isn't democracy.

This was a huge vote and it was really only officially campaigned for and against for 6 weeks. That is why it was such a high voter turn out.  Over 70% because it was discussed heavily for a short period then vote. Unlike the US where the campaign fr pres started in 2014 and we don't vote until November of 2016.

AtariLegend wrote:

Official campaigning is misleading, this has been all over the media for months.

Murdochs media have been going on about this since I was a child.

Oh and... http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 84#p280784

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Then what the living fuck were you guys REALLY voting for? Scare tactics? Propaganda? Typical lying to keep the corruption going?

Do I dare bust out the H and P words again? 16

When I'm feeling better I want to read up on Germany's stance on this. Cant stand Merkel. I'm about to get some rest but could one of you guys post an article on Germany's reaction to this crisis and I'll read it this afternoon? Thanks in advance.

Thursday’s referendum saw 17.4 million (51.9%) votes cast to leave the EU, compared with 16.1 million (48.1%) for remaining part of the bloc, with a turnout of 72.2%, according to the Electoral Commission.

That's a pretty close call. Do you guys do recounts? 15

James

James wrote:

What do you mean "under that system"? I see alot of Americans thinking that this is great, I don't think most of you actually know what the implications of this were.

I predicted a total collapse of the EU eight years ago. I wouldn't classify it as great. Technically it could go either way....maybe a success or total implosion in the coming years. The timing of this is terrible. Chaos in several EU countries, a hungry Russian bear watching your every move, etc.

STRANGE things can happen in times like this. If the Brits are perceived as weak, Argentina may want to retake those islands. You guys ready to fight a war thousands of miles away you are not currently able to handle?

NOBODY knows the implications of this decision. Many dominoes could fall in the coming years.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think a lot of people who voted leave are realising there's no plans for this. The leave campaign were a dog chasing a car and they've just caught it.

Now everyone's looking to the figureheads of the leave campaign to provide some answers to 'what next?' Yet all anyone who pushed for this seems to be able to offer is a shrug of the shoulders, a concession that we're in unknown but almost certainly painful waters and that we need to roll our sleeves up.

Then factor in that we need an almost entirely new government, that will largely need to be made up of pro Brexit politicians who by definition are leaning uncomfortably to the right.

On top of this, as a result of Brexit Scotland is likely to have another referendum on leaving the UK. If they leave (not certain but highly possible) that will signal a near death sentence for the Labour party, as without Scotland it could take generations before they got voted in again.

This potentially leaves us in a situation with cut political ties in Europe, an economic downturn of as yet unknown severity and a right wing government with no credible opposition meanwhile everyone who voted leave beats their chest and talks about making Britain 'great' again.

I hope I'm wrong and it could just be a storm in a tea cup but the highly possible scenario above sounds like a very dangerous cocktail.

James

James wrote:

So the people who wanted it haven't the slightest clue how to run the country and to make matters worse, Scotland may bail and join the EU itself?

Wow.

I sense chaos in the coming decade. Europe needs a "moment of pause" ASAP and reflect on what is going on and its future ramifications.

AtariLegend wrote:

APE just echoed my sentiments perfectly.

If middle England think the far right of the Tories are going to be looking out for their interests (give them more money, increase NHS funding) they're mistaken. If Scotland leaves you'll see people out campaigning in a decade and rioting against a government they just gave total authority over themselves too.

EU wasn't perfect, but quite alot of those policies helped people. I don't think people realize that this is alot different to a general election.

The issue is now that if their is a second referendum which I'm doubtful over to be honest, it's going to look like circus. It's going to make it look like we don't respect democracy and that the system is rigged, so that we just vote again until the desired result appears. Unfortunately I think it's in our own interests.

Even if their was a second referendum with a remain vote, it's quite clear this isn't a united kingdom.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

STRANGE things can happen in times like this. If the Brits are perceived as weak, Argentina may want to retake those islands. You guys ready to fight a war thousands of miles away you are not currently able to handle?

NOBODY knows the implications of this decision. Many dominoes could fall in the coming years.

We still apparently have the largest military in Europe (a scary thought in itself considering how severely funding has been cut). I doubt there'd be appetite for Falklands 2 but should it be necessary then we answer the call. It's still our people over there, it couldn't be ignored.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Funny you should mention that. It was in the news there recently must've been the anniversary or maybe some Argentinian politician brought it up..?? Can't remember the outcome of it all tho..

Putin's loving it.

A Private Eye wrote:

This potentially leaves us in a situation with cut political ties in Europe, an economic downturn of as yet unknown severity and a right wing government with no credible opposition meanwhile everyone who voted leave beats their chest and talks about making Britain 'great' again.

I hope I'm wrong and it could just be a storm in a tea cup but the highly possible scenario above sounds like a very dangerous cocktail.

I think we're totally and utterly fucked. They've played the game & they've won. We're living in a plutocracy that's just going to get more unfair & unjust over the coming decade.

In some respects it's actually an exciting time.. I just wish it wasn't happening to me!

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

From Facebook:

"Calling all EU migrants in the UK. Let's all skip work on the same day"

One of my Polish friends says this action will take this coming Monday (27 June). She is considering not showing up at work. According to her, most of her colleagues at the Hilton where she works are from Poland, Romania, etc. Only 2 people in senior management are British. It will be funny if the EU workers don't show up for work... No fresh sheets, no breakfast, no luggage porters, no room service.... tongue
I am traveling tonight and won't be able to be involved in any way.

Board footer