You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

Got a leaflet through the day called FACTS. It mention the £350 mill figure again, neglected to mention how much of that is spent back on the UK each week.

Mentioned the hospital every week, ignoring that... we don't have enough doctors for this.

Then had a map of countries wanting to join the EU, with Syria/Iraq also not too subtle highlighted as well. So in other-words they want people to read that and think I don't want Syria/Iraq to join!

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

if the UK desires to remain in the EU, that's fine.  But they should go all the way in giving up their autonomy.  The UN should no longer recognize independent countries that enroll in the EU, no more than states in the US get recognized as autonomous entities.  The EU will never reach parity with America, because while they're going bonkers letting every Haji under 40 enroll in middle school, they still very much want to hang on to their identities and languages.  How the hell are you ever going to have a European military when 30 different languages are spoken in the continent. 

I hope the UK leaves and forces the rest of the EU to buckle and reform under rules that actually make sense, but I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

if the UK desires to remain in the EU, that's fine.  But they should go all the way in giving up their autonomy.  The UN should no longer recognize independent countries that enroll in the EU, no more than states in the US get recognized as autonomous entities.  The EU will never reach parity with America, because while they're going bonkers letting every Haji under 40 enroll in middle school, they still very much want to hand on to their identities and languages.  How the hell are you ever going to have a European military when 30 different languages are spoken in the continent. 

I hope the UK leaves and forces the rest of the EU to buckle and reform under rules that actually make sense, but I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Would be best for everyone to just learn English. Most know English anway

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Knowing English won't make it much easier to cooperate with, say the Italians. No language in the world can overcome that enormous cultural divide. That's why the EU was a bad idea from the start and why it is doomed to fail.

The only unions in Europe that could work is a Scandinavian one, a German one and maybe a pan Germanic one. The rest don't like each other enough to ever agree on anything.

AtariLegend wrote:

Their is no desire for an EU army and that would require consent from all member states along with another referendum.

You're Haji comment is ridiculous. Stay out off this thread.

Randall Flagg

AtariLegend wrote:

Their is no desire for an EU army and that would require consent from all member states along with another referendum.

You're Haji comment is ridiculous. Stay out off this thread.

They're haven't been hundreds of thousands of muslim migrants entering Europe over the past couple years?  Sweden's not considered the rape capital of Europe because young, Muslim men are attacking women?  Bands of Muslim immigrants aren't roaming the streets of Britain in certain areas, trying to enforce Sharia?  Germany didn't suffer unprecedented sexual assaults enacted by young, Muslim immigrants?

You  can bury your head in the sand and pretend the one Muslim guy you talked to in Political Science 101 was indicative of something, but the reality is the majority of Muslims in the world hold beliefs that are in complete contradiction with western values.  If you too feel that the prophet shouldn't be depicted in any manner, and those who violate this should be punished, you're not compatible with western values either.  This isn't some fringe elements.  Lookup the statistics in any western nation.  In nearly every Muslim nation, homosexuality is punished by death and these people are coming to the West with no interest in adapting to OUR culture and way of thought.  So maybe rather than bitch about some photographer who doesn't want to take photos of a lesbian wedding, maybe you should cut the PC ignorance and admit there is a major cultural problem coming from Islamic nations.

AtariLegend wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Bands of Muslim immigrants aren't roaming the streets of Britain in certain areas, trying to enforce Sharia?

That's what happens when you rely on Fox news. Complete fucking bullshit.

...And this is not a referendum on Islam, go debate that in the gun thread.

Randall Flagg

AtariLegend wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Bands of Muslim immigrants aren't roaming the streets of Britain in certain areas, trying to enforce Sharia?

That's what happens when you rely on Fox news. Complete fucking bullshit.

...And this is not a referendum on Islam, go debate that in the gun thread.

So none of those things I mentioned happened?  You're right.  It's a referendum on the UK staying in the EU.  My position was and is, if the EU wants to exist, it should be treated as its own country. Why should a country that has 5 or 6 people in it have the same vote and stature as one who has 330 million? 

I'm an American, so I have no dog in the fight.  I just would hate to see one of the oldest and most important nations in the history of the world give up its autonomy and be required to adopt policies that will hurt the UK in the long run, just so some guy from Poland can escape eastern Europe and get better social welfare.

AtariLegend wrote:

Great play by Bob Geldof, for the spectacle anyway.

Worth pointing out that Farage himself isn't exactly poor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e … m-36537180

AtariLegend wrote:

Euro 2016 doesn't seem to be having a positive effect on the polls. Every day/night people are watching a European tournament with European anthems and music.

You have to question the timing of this referendum, if they scheduled it to happen around now expecting a positive effect.

Board footer