You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: AXL In ACDC???

monkeychow wrote:

The question to me is What's Next?

Is this era the start of a "new Axl", like James said, who will go back to his 1987 was of writing and releasing music and kicking the worlds ass.

Or has Axl actually given up and this is a retirement run. Decided to 'give in' and hang with Slash for the $ but just avoid each other when not on stage, and then do Ac/Dc for his own amusement before hanging up the boots.

I wish they'd do some press so we know which it is.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We will know a lot more in less than 2 weeks.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The question to me is What's Next?

Is this era the start of a "new Axl", like James said, who will go back to his 1987 was of writing and releasing music and kicking the worlds ass.

Or has Axl actually given up and this is a retirement run. Decided to 'give in' and hang with Slash for the $ but just avoid each other when not on stage, and then do Ac/Dc for his own amusement before hanging up the boots.

I wish they'd do some press so we know which it is.

I think they might just be playing it safe right now and see how this whole thing rolls out. Instead of coming out and promising all these grand plans, make sure they're viable first. This is a pretty big undertaking that could combust at any moment. I don't think it will, and I certainly hope it won't. But I can see reasons for them wanting to tread lightly.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

What's not viable though?

Guns N' Roses is one of the most famous brands in rock.

Only thing not viable is if Axl and Slash can't work together or if Axl's voice is damaged or if Axl is still suffering from whatever it is that has made him do this secrecy stuff since 1999.

Look at the recent success of Motley Crue's recent fairwell tour. That's band that has toured far more than GNR in recent years and never achieved the same cross over success. Look at aerosmith, the stones, metallica. There is plenty of market for retro rock acts with near original line ups touring the world.

AndyShores
 Rep: 11 

AndyShores wrote:

I think viability goes beyond just whether they can manage to work together - frankly after all this time, I think that's probably a minor issue amongst the guys.  Viability lies in whether Axl can return to 2006 ish form.  That said, if he's seriously considering the ACDC thing, you have to assume he's back in shape and expects to be able to put on a hell of a show.  Let's hope so.  I saw him twice in 2011 and both were great performances.  Its been pretty hit and miss over the years though, and something as big as this reformed GNR requires Axl be the Axl we all know is in there.

Major Mayhem
 Rep: 6 

Major Mayhem wrote:

I'm 100% positive Axl can still sing, especially in a studio setting.  I'd think all parties would want to capitalize on this.  I'd like to think we're heading into a productive era of GNR, although admittedly, I'm hesitant to get my hopes up.  I kept a positive attitude from 1994 till 2015, and just felt lucky to have CD at that point.  Now, I'm going to sit back, let them prove themselves again, and enjoy what may come.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

What's not viable though?

Guns N' Roses is one of the most famous brands in rock.

Only thing not viable is if Axl and Slash can't work together or if Axl's voice is damaged or if Axl is still suffering from whatever it is that has made him do this secrecy stuff since 1999.

Look at the recent success of Motley Crue's recent fairwell tour. That's band that has toured far more than GNR in recent years and never achieved the same cross over success. Look at aerosmith, the stones, metallica. There is plenty of market for retro rock acts with near original line ups touring the world.

The viability lies within how the band gets along. If certain key members don't get along, this could be short lived. If all is forgiven and forgotten, then we may be in store for some special stuff. I'm not questioning whether they can be successful. Obviously the demand is there. That's why I'm saying, maybe they need a feeling out period to find out if they can reach great heights. As long as they get along, I don't see any reason why they can't.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Major Mayhem wrote:

I'm 100% positive Axl can still sing, especially in a studio setting.  I'd think all parties would want to capitalize on this.  I'd like to think we're heading into a productive era of GNR, although admittedly, I'm hesitant to get my hopes up.  I kept a positive attitude from 1994 till 2015, and just felt lucky to have CD at that point.  Now, I'm going to sit back, let them prove themselves again, and enjoy what may come.

Yeah I'm sure Axl would be great in the studio, although studio stuff requires the most 'faith' in GNR in terms of will they do it. After-all it's been the primary weakness of the 1995-2015 line ups - dozens of songs in the can that they can't get out - and it was also one of the primary disputes causing the breakup of old GNR.

Also in the modern era of live shows making more than records, there's also limited incentive for the band to work on new music. I deeply hope it happens...but I wouldn't be surprised if they just regrouped for a hits tour every 4 or 5 years from now on.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Also in the modern era of live shows making more than records, there's also limited incentive for the band to work on new music. I deeply hope it happens...but I wouldn't be surprised if they just regrouped for a hits tour every 4 or 5 years from now on.

If Axl only wanted to secure his retirement I don't think he would consider the AC/DC job. It's a bit of a risk and not something he needs to do. He does it because he wants to, not because of money or whatever.

That could suggest a desire to "do something" with GN'R too, and by that I mean something else than just play tired old hits for big bucks.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I see it either way. It could also mean he's so over GNR that he doesn't mind blowing the media buzz on the reunion by touring with Ac/Dc. Like he doesn't seem to have taken GNR seriously since around 2009 at least.

Board footer