You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

People paid THOUSANDS....

Rock N Rio wasn't a reunion. This is 23 fucking years and the first time they were supposed to be together is April 8. You can't spin it any other way. It is bullshit. They don't need to rehearse for a crowd. They are all over 50, not 15. Show up like a badass and own it in Vegas. Vegas sold out fast as fuck cause it was to be the first show. PERIOD.

Totally agree.

I don't think warm up gigs of the past are on the same scale - this was marketed on the ticket sites I looked at as their first show - and it should rightly be that or they are screwing over the very people who care enough to pay to fly across the world etc.

If they wanted to do a small warm up. The way to go about it would have been to admit all along their would be one, then do a contest or something for fans or something like that. As it stands they burnt the cochella buyers with vegas, and now the vegas buyers with this. It's just inconsiderate and kinda disrespectful to your audience.

I also note how the fan club has increased from $15 minimum to $50 or whatever it is now.

I don't mind them earning a buck but there's a way to go about things. Similar acts don't treat their fans this way.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Sounds like GNR, market a show as the first time Axl and Slash have been together on stage in two decades, your fans pay thousands to go rather than wait for the inevitable global tour so as to feel the excitement of the first time , many traveling from overseas for thousands of bucks, and then you play a secret show before hand.

I love the music but this band literally has no respect for it's fanbase at all.

They have shown a gross lack of respect for their fans in the past, yes. Repeatedly.

But I have to ask, what's with the exclusivity? Why is it so important to compare your personal concert experience to others and insist on being in the 'first' show is more significant than the 'third'?

And all those people, who actually thought Coachella would be the first, got served for being gullible. One could sense warm-up shows coming up a mile away, because a show of that scale is a bit too much to just jump into after 20 years.

You buy the ticket, you make the call and face the music.

If they cancel or postpone I can see the ire. But by booking other shows? Less so.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Back when people had ethics, the rule of promotors was to always book extra shows after the first announced one, not earlier.

I don't believe in the idea that if you trick someone the fault it theirs for not figuring it out. That's the kind of mentality people have in this world it seems - that if I rob someone it's their fault for not stopping me.

As for why the exclusivity is important, why do people collect signed trading cards? These types of things are important to fans. I think so many people have wanted this to happen for so many years, I think people are going for the historical aspect, they want to be able to say to their grandkiddies..."I was there when....."

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Don't understand the upset over this at all. Makes sense to do a warm up show to me, loads of acts do it. Loads of acts also add dates to tours due to demand, sell outs etc and often what was looking like being a first show ends up not being.

People have waited two decades for this and now we're pissed because Axl and Slash will be on stage possibly as soon as tomorrow rather than next week!? And that's somehow a bad thing?

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Back when people had ethics, the rule of promotors was to always book extra shows after the first announced one, not earlier.

Is this sea change a fault of the band or is it then simply a symptom of a larger issue?

monkeychow wrote:

I don't believe in the idea that if you trick someone the fault it theirs for not figuring it out.

They spend money to see a certain band at a certain place at a certain time. As long as that's delivered, we're talking first world problems.

monkeychow wrote:

I think people are going for the historical aspect, they want to be able to say to their grandkiddies..."I was there when....."

To me, the third show would be just as viable than the first show for that purpose. Mind you, only a select few fans of all people interested in Guns are able to attend at all. Anyone with a ticket is privileged, I think - too bad some of themselves appear to think otherwise.

lance

lance wrote:

Hell were all GnR fans here and im sure most of you like my self have been waiting for Axl Slash Duff GnR for a long time .

So im down for them to play as many show as possible and small warm up gig should excite the fan base not piss them off they are not seeing the the 1st show.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Hahah...Maybe I'm just bitter cos I can't go at all to any of this tour sad

I just feel for people I know who have pony'd up thousands to go to the first show and now find it's the second or worse.

Obviously l'm excited the band is back in general, but I dunno if it's just me, but there's something about the way this is all going down that's rubbing me the wrong way. People keep saying things along the lines of "finally Axl and Slash are back and you're making problems" and maybe I am - but to me that's sort of thing thing - finally they are yet they're still playing silence and not doing right by fans.

I think the reason is - in terms of wanting a reunion the band is "Johnny Come Lately".

Like NOW Axl thinks it's a good idea. NOW slash can be bothered sorting it out. Really? Now?

Most fans wanted a reunion past 20+ years and we were repetitively told to get fucked.

We've had to endure stuff like Jarmo referring to Slash as "your hero" and Axl rewarding him by making him a photographer and singing for his birthday on stage.

We had to listen to Axl calling people cancerous and promising death before a reunion, and Slash and Duff proclaiming they won't go back unless Axl changed his ways.

Three decades of bullshit, countless projects delivered under ability, and the one constant has been that fans can go fuck themselves.

Now suddenly everyone changes their mind, can't be fucked showing up to the talkshow to explain it, decide to play more secret mystery games on twitter...won't even say who is playing...and we're supposed to like it?

I've had my fill of bullshit thanks. That they've finally decided to do something is great, but try doing it professionally for once, maybe not fucking over your audience just once, and don't want a cookie for doing something 10-15 years after it should have happened.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Now suddenly everyone changes their mind, can't be fucked showing up to the talkshow to explain it, decide to play more secret mystery games on twitter...won't even say who is playing...and we're supposed to like it?

We have a choice. We can say, 'Fuck it', and let the shows happen at their own pace, come what may.

I too would've preferred a bit more openness in regards to the lineup et al, but this is Guns. Remember Hammerstein? New guitarist was who, now?

These shows are sold to Joe Q Public with Axl getting back together with Slash and Duff. From a promotional standpoint, the backing players are irrelevant - unless you're doing an entire tour with original members. Fortus has a comparatively low name recognition value in the mainstream.

I get the gist of what you're saying, but the thing is, this regrouping is big business and it's beyond the level of public attention Guns have attracted in the past... 10 to 15 years. They want to close the wound and make money in the process. If we're all lucky, the shows will be good, too.

lance

lance wrote:

Monkeychow you are 100 percent right ! The way you feel is way i think most of us feel.
We are the most loyal fan base of any rock band and we have been fucked so many times hell we got only 1 new album in the last 23 years.

I do not blame anyone but Axl for this facts are facts and he has been the only constant in GnR.
It would seem though we might get what we always wanted soon.
We are a little over a week from our band being back and if we can get some new music and see the band live (which i hope everyone here does) then it might have been worth it.

AndyShores
 Rep: 11 

AndyShores wrote:

As a fellow artist (painter for a living, not musical artist, but still) I'm gonna side with Axl and the boys in this "respect for the fans" debate.  Its not about you.  Its about them.  They're putting their artwork out there and its not about pleasing fans, its about putting their artwork out there.  If you like it, good.  If you don't, others will.

Board footer