You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree to a point in age... But you are a hard core fan...

It sucks to miss out on those things for sure due to being born at the wrong time, but on the bright side at least I'm not an old fuck. 16

I was born in 1979. Too young to go to concerts at their peak

I was born in 1979 also. The first I knew about GNR was Welcome To Jungle video. My brother and I made fun of the name, then the music played and we were both just blown away. I was sucked in at that moment. I remember staying up all night to watch Live At The Ritz when it premiered during a GNR marathon. And the little thing that stands out was Slasdh telling the crowd to shut up when Axl introduced him. I thought he was a dick, and coolest thing ever 16

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

The first I knew about GNR was Welcome To Jungle video. My brother and I made fun of the name

Made fun of the name of the song or name of the band? Guns N' Roses is kind of a cheesy name I guess but it's perfect too, especially once you listen to the full spectrum of music they were capable of producing. They were great at the kickass Gun songs and about a million times better on ballads than anyone else in hard rock music at the time.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Real or photo-shopped? tongue

Photoshopped 19

misterID

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

The first I knew about GNR was Welcome To Jungle video. My brother and I made fun of the name

Made fun of the name of the song or name of the band? Guns N' Roses is kind of a cheesy name I guess but it's perfect too, especially once you listen to the full spectrum of music they were capable of producing. They were great at the kickass Gun songs and about a million times better on ballads than anyone else in hard rock music at the time.

The band name, and we were making fun of every video/band that came on. I can't remember any of the other bands, but I remember the bus pulling to the sidewalk, the title popping up and me saying, "What kind of name is Guns N Roses?", then the riff started and Axl's scream, and my brother said, This is pretty cool.

Paradise City was a big moment too. Everyone was talking about it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Izzy was a fuckin' cool drug dealer, haha. Even Joe Perry and Steven Tyler bought drugs from him. You can't make up shit like that. Little things like that make GN'R one of the absolute greatest bands ever.

misterID

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Izzy was a fuckin' cool drug dealer, haha. Even Joe Perry and Steven Tyler bought drugs from him. You can't make up shit like that. Little things like that make GN'R one of the absolute greatest bands ever.

The thing about them too was that they had a more punk vibe than anyone else on that scene, like White Snake and Winger, etc. All the girls were into Poison, INXS, Bon Jovi and New Kids On The Block, and they looked at GNR as scummy, which was awesome.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

No way 7 and 8 year olds would dig GNR.

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

My earliest childhood memory is watching the video for "You Could Be Mine" at the end of some movie review show reviewing Terminator 2.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why? I loved Dead Milkmen, Danzig, REM, I even loved the Girls, Girls, Girls, video and album.

Guess I was just a cooler kid than you. big_smile

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The thing about them too was that they had a more punk vibe than anyone else on that scene, like White Snake and Winger, etc. All the girls were into Poison, INXS, Bon Jovi and New Kids On The Block, and they looked at GNR as scummy, which was awesome.

GN'R accidentally appealed to everyone. They had the street cred with metalheads and punk rockers and they were respected by critics for their musicianship...but they could also appeal to girls and the least common denominator with extremely catchy melodies in songs like Sweet Child, Paradise City, Jungle, Patience, November Rain, and Don't Cry.

But when you look at them on the surface, they should have been a band with "cult classic" type of popularity, kind of like Hanoi Rocks or something. But I guess they were too good at songwriting for that. You make shit with such catchy melodies and no matter how hard-edged you might be, it will appeal to a lot of people.

Board footer