You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Troubadour 04/01/16 - videos

Smoking Guns wrote:

I can't add fuck to that Axlin.... I just cannot.  I agree too much.  When I said "same page" I mean get in the UYI pocket, the rhythm section, like Gilby, Duff, and Matt did... They need to be tight like that... Fortus doesn't have two other players and pitman to mask mistakes with layers of guitars and samples and effects and sub bass... This is a kick ass two guitar band and they will have their shit in order soon.  These are pros... Slash will take the lead.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

They weren't super-tight during the UYI days. But they were all on the same page. Especially when Gilby showed up and was just happy to have the gig and was willing to do whatever to make it work, and little did he know Slash & Duff were secretly dying inside from too much Mr. B.

BUT...

They were a tighter group... much tighter group... during the UYI days than they were during the AFD days. They were tight during CD era 01-02 and CD era 06-07 as well. But the wheels fell off during the third and final CD era. DJ is a showman and a writer, NOT a guitar player, and was criticized (unwarranted) for being a crappy player and I thought so as well, to discover years in that DJ is a showman player from the school of Ace Frehley and KISS, rather than a guitar player's player. Ron had personal problems and got sloppier and sloppier as his tenure in the band went on

Now we have what we have. Richard & Frank were the tighest players of the nuGN'R group from 2006 onward, but they are used to playing almost robotic like to nail the pieces. Slash plays looser, as does Duff.

The good news is the two most likely players to be good at adapting to change are the ones in the band -- fortus frank

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fortus looked cool as fuck up there... He is a cool dude, looks the part.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Jungle video now over 312,000 views in roughly 24 hours. Shit is getting real.

Lomax wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought he played off Slash really well too.
Listen to them on this track. Fortus and Slash really do work very well together.
I bet when Axl heard that he thought to himself "Who's Izzy?"

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Lomax wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought he played off Slash really well too.
Listen to them on this track. Fortus and Slash really do work very well together.
I bet when Axl heard that he thought to himself "Who's Izzy?"

[/embed]

Fortus is not on that track. He also refused to jam with Slash when Slash was asked to Jam with Thin Lizzy. I think he left the stage for respect to Axl. Funny how he had to cover Slash in GNR and Dead Dasies. Haha.

AtariLegend wrote:

Not sure if this review was posted anywhere, but here it is. It was Slash supposedly playing the solos on Chinese Democracy and Better.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/heres-wha … ur-6784478

There's a claim in there that Adler was never going to take part.

Also a joke Axl made about the setlist. "I'm like Trump, I consult with myself".

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Seems pretty good overall.  Amped up, cool to see them onstage together.  One thing I'll say tho is expectations are a bit different in a small club venue, versus a large outdoor stadium.  Small clubs, I'd be just happy to see them.  Large football stadium, I sorta expect them to sound great.

Again, great to see, hope the tour is a success but also looking forward to possibility of new material, which is what I'd also want.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

They were tight during CD era 01-02 and CD era 06-07 as well. But the wheels fell off during the third and final CD era. DJ is a showman and a writer, NOT a guitar player, and was criticized (unwarranted) for being a crappy player and I thought so as well, to discover years in that DJ is a showman player from the school of Ace Frehley and KISS, rather than a guitar player's player. Ron had personal problems and got sloppier and sloppier as his tenure in the band went on

The post-CD-era would've been better without Ashba. Just Fortus and Ron.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The post-CD-era would've been better without Ashba. Just Fortus and Ron.

Not only would it be better not enduring Ashba, it would have allowed Bumble to take the lead in the band. Perhaps that would have made the atmosphere different and kept some spirit going.

Finck and Fortus without Bumble would be interesting as well. Think I'd prefer that one. You can't really sell a nostalgia act with Finck, so forces Axl to keep going with the 01/02 sound.

Board footer