You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: SCOTT WEILAND Is A No-Show At VELVET REVOLVER's SUNDANCE Concert

Intercourse wrote:

Good old Scott, shitting on his bandmates again. I am a massive fan but sometimes this guy is a vortex of self obsession and selfishness.

Poor Slash, a guitar legend robbed of his real legacy by mad frontmen who insist on biting the hands that feed them (bandmates, fans etc).Axl...well we've worn out that argument, Rod - heroin addict who also was often a no show for gigs and Scott...well we've worn that one out too. Duff too, while never my favourite bass player, he is a lovely guy and the most grounded of them all. He really deseves better for his efforts.

It's incredible how all of their respective careers roared into action with massive debut albums only to falter a few years up the road and remain that way for almost a decade. The frustration must be unbelievable for Slash & Duff. Is a strong front man that writes excellent vocals and shows up sober when requested that hard to find when operating at their level?

When you think of it, many rock front men are a dodgy bunch:

Sebitchian - bitter over VR, Axl's new ball washer - dull, stupid and boring - talks like a 16 year old surfer.
Mike Patton - prefers to play noise than sing anymore...why? Arrogant beyond belief.
Chris Cornell - dumps AS via the press after seven years (they jump started his career got him off the booze and the drugs)
James Hetfield - whiney and domineering in Some Kind of Monster, HORRIBLE.

I'm sure the list could go on and on...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Fire the douchebag first and then decide if you wanna continue together. Then get a good singer (Eric Dover or Rod Jackson is much better than Weiland) or go solos. I'm sure that Slash is better without Weiland.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Fuck.  This doesn't look good for the continuance of VR.  I'd like for the guys to continue on with a different singer if they have to.  I wonder what Axl's doing now? haha

If there wasn't a rift in the band, they would've just canceled the show after Scott missed his flight.  Performing without him just means that he's not that important to them in the first place and that they're ready to move on.  Sucks for the fans who showed up to see the full band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I laugh every time I see someone at one of these sites mention Cornell as a possible replacement. Cornell wouldn't play with these guys for all the money in the world. He wouldn't create music with them, wouldn't play GNR tunes,etc.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Backslash wrote:

Fuck.  This doesn't look good for the continuance of VR.  I'd like for the guys to continue on with a different singer if they have to.  I wonder what Axl's doing now? haha

If there wasn't a rift in the band, they would've just canceled the show after Scott missed his flight.  Performing without him just means that he's not that important to them in the first place and that they're ready to move on.  Sucks for the fans who showed up to see the full band.

I don't really see it that way, the band was there all except Scott they could either cancel the show or go on and at least give the fans something for their money.

I think people might be jumping the gun a bit announcing VR as over because of this, it's not good certainly but we don't know the details as to how/why he missed his flight. I think the reason he wasn't there will be far more important in terms of VR's future rather than just the fact that he wasn't there (if that makes sense).

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the next show...

WOW that's really not good.   Although how cool would that be to be in the audience and get up on stage and sing with them 9

Definitely have to watch out for the next show, if that show gets cancelled, I'd say it's Scott is totally not into them anymore and getting itchy for something else.

I wonder if they will air another show actually looking for another singer or will they all just call it quits.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

It's not looking too good, and Scott can blame himself for giving that impression. I mean, just look at this:

On 01/19, he's at a charity event in Miami without the rest of the band and talks publicly about an STP reunion.

On 01/20, he misses the flight to Utah, where the rest of the band is. The band performs without him.

Granted, they were 2,000 miles apart, so the flight would take about 5-6 hours, provided it was a direct one. All the more reason to show up to the airport early. Scott's travelled well enough to realize this. Other than that, Slash's connections to the Axl camp and Scott's STP talks caused a stir within the band during the Libertad recording; didn't Matt even scold Scott about it, saying something to the effect that "an STP reunion wouldn't shake the music world"? And now Scott's doing it all over again. While these two might be isolated incidents, missing the VR show immediately afterwards doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I doubt the band that pleased either...

When do you expect to head in the studio?

It depends on how long we continue touring. Right now, we're going through April. I would imagine that, between now and April, a bunch of ideas for summer will probably come up. We'll go as long as necessary and then probably jump in, hopefully right away, start working on the record. - Slash, 12/20/07

So does this look to be a pretty big year for the band?

It's been great so far. We've done a lot of touring. We're definitely not going to tour as much as we did on the last record. That almost killed us. We were out for 2-1/2 years. In April, we are going to start working on the next record. - Slash, 01/17/08

Slash sounds very adamant about finishing the tour off in or by April, after which he'd like the band to immediately start working on new material. The last confirmed tour date so far is on April 1st, so this leg isn't going be exceedingly long. I'd imagine there's no point in touring excessively behind an album with such lackluster sales, and the best solution is to get the band back into the same room, resolve their differences and get on with the third (and final) contractually obligated album. It might even be a good one, a better seller than Libertad (which isn't intended as the world's smallest compliment).

But currently, it doesn't look like a good time for VR to be on tour. They have a lot of things they need to bounce back from.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'd go sing for them if I could get over the stagefreight.  My range is limited to roughly Scott's range anyway and Duff could sing the higher parts.  Maybe I'll send an audition tape.  then they can really see what it's like to work with an egomaniac frontman that isn't willing to give an inch when it comes to opinions in music.  I'll make Axl and Scott look like gentlemen.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so a cancelled flight is indeed the official explanation

SCOTT WEILAND Explains SUNDANCE Concert No-Show - Jan. 22, 2008 

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received an official statement from VELVET REVOLVER's publicist regarding frontman Scott Weiland's absence from the band's concert Sunday night (January 20) at the 944 Magazine's party at Tao during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. It reads as follows:

"On Sunday, January 20, the private plane that Scott was traveling on from Miami (where he performed the night before at the AROD Family Foundation and Bay Point Schools benefit) to Utah was diverted because of bad weather. The pilot wouldn't fly from Miami to the Salt Lake City Airport because of extremely poor visibility and a potential poor weather system that made it dangerous for the plane to fly to Salt Lake City. Two hours into the flight, it was diverted to the Van Nuys Airport (in Los Angeles).

"Scott, the band and management tried to find a flight to take him from Van Nuys to Salt Lake City in time for the band's show, but this was not possible. By the time Scott landed at the Van Nuys airport, it was too late to make any connecting flights. VELVET REVOLVER's tour manager also looked into private flights for Scott, but a crew was not available in time for an immediate departure that would have brought him to the show on time."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … emID=89035

Board footer