You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: MATT SORUM 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If it comes down to saying the right things. I don't see how Slash/Duff could listen to this and feel comfortable. That was from 28th September last year, after months of rumors.

I just listened to that whole thing, again. He said he doesn't care about the money just wanted to play appetite and civil and war and said he would love to share the stage with Matt. Let him play his songs. I think if he gets healthy he will get some time!

He also raved about about Slash not believing him and Duff not thinking "he's cool" multiple times. In the same interview where he said he doesn't care if he gets equal money and would play with Matt, he also tries to dismiss everyone in the band since he left too. He just could not help himself.

He probably would have buried Axl too, if Eddie didn't keep interrupting him to tell him what Eddie thinks.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I thought Matt's behavior in the VR doc when they were looking for a singer was douchey. Btw, Duff reemed his ass for being an asasshole on that show.

Yeah duff called him out for being negative about the singer auditions. But Matt explained that he just didn't feel it was worth wasting time with people who clearly weren't on their level.  I think time demonstrated that Matt was kinda right on that one - the demos that leaked before they hired scott are no where near the quality of what they did with scott!

misterID wrote:

And his behind the music interview was dickish, saying he thought he joined a rock band but bitching about the piano.

I always thought that was kinda a joke. Let's face it Axl's ballads are a polarising thing, we love them, but I can't mention GNR without someone mentioning dolphins too lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

Axl never tried to reduce Slash from partner to employee until after Slash refused to move forward with GNR and threatened to go solo and hold the band hostage.

That's interesting - but what do you mean by "go forward" exactly.

Slash's take was that Axl wasn't interested in the snakepit demos - while Axl seems to think he was but Slash wouldn't allow him the time to work on them.

However I've read Duff say that Axl rejected everything from anyone for a period of years.

Was Slash refusing to go forward meaning he didn't want to work on Synth type tracks?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

Axl never tried to reduce Slash from partner to employee until after Slash refused to move forward with GNR and threatened to go solo and hold the band hostage.

That's interesting - but what do you mean by "go forward" exactly.

Slash's take was that Axl wasn't interested in the snakepit demos - while Axl seems to think he was but Slash wouldn't allow him the time to work on them.

However I've read Duff say that Axl rejected everything from anyone for a period of years.

Was Slash refusing to go forward meaning he didn't want to work on Synth type tracks?

My recollection was that Axl hadn't offered anything for the guys to work on. He was taking in material and rejecting most of it but stating that he saw several riffs as "songs" which perplexed Slash somewhat. Nothing came from his side as far as I know.

Also to counter MSL's outsider version of how things went down in the song writing arena. Have a listen to Duff talk about the process 3:30 onwards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_sBocJkWY

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

A good promoter would tell the band to keep it simple in the beginning. Just get out there, see how many tickets sell, test how well they get on in each others company then take it from there. Adding other elements, previous members and whatever else should come later on. Financially, paying expenses then splitting the profits would also be the simplest and fairest way to go.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I thought Matt's behavior in the VR doc when they were looking for a singer was douchey. Btw, Duff reemed his ass for being an asasshole on that show.

Yeah duff called him out for being negative about the singer auditions. But Matt explained that he just didn't feel it was worth wasting time with people who clearly weren't on their level.  I think time demonstrated that Matt was kinda right on that one - the demos that leaked before they hired scott are no where near the quality of what they did with scott!

misterID wrote:

And his behind the music interview was dickish, saying he thought he joined a rock band but bitching about the piano.

I always thought that was kinda a joke. Let's face it Axl's ballads are a polarising thing, we love them, but I can't mention GNR without someone mentioning dolphins too lol

He was being a dick, though. That's why Duff blew up on him. That was my evidence of him being a dick. wink

AtariLegend wrote:

This might have been a more interesting comment, had Matt been part of the band currently. (It's from October 29th)

Matt Sorum Thinks the Foo Fighters Lack ‘Danger’

Matt Sorum may not remember much of his wildest rock ‘n’ roll days, but he definitely misses the feeling of barely controlled chaos that surrounded many of the classic rock era’s biggest bands.
As the former Guns N’ Roses drummer explained during a recent interview with the Windsor Star, it’s no accident that he named his current touring supergroup Kings of Chaos — and when he was asked to compare Kings member Sebastian Bach with GNR frontman Axl Rose, it got Sorum started on what he thinks is missing from today’s music.
“They’re both powerhouses,” Sorum said of Bach and Rose. “I think it’s a bit of a lost art form. A lot of the bands that are coming out now, you don’t really hear those kinds of powerful voices … You know, I see bands with lead singers who are really nice. Squeaky clean. And I really don’t feel I’m getting that wild, rock ‘n’ roll sensibility that I want.”
As an example, Sorum pointed to Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters. “I love Dave Grohl, don’t get me wrong. But he’s a drummer who got out front with a guitar,” he pointed out. “Is there any danger in it? Not really.”
As Sorum sees it, even if Guns N’ Roses have been frequently criticized over the years for their often unpredictable live performances, it’s exactly that element of the unexpected that makes a rock band truly great. “If you go to a Foo Fighters show, you’re gonna see a band play their set, and everything is gonna go down nice, and he’ll thank the crowd, and everyone’s gonna go home and go ‘Wow, that was a really nice rock ‘n’ roll show,'” he argued. “Not everything went perfect in any of the bands I’ve been in, but I know one thing: People on their way home were going ‘Holy —-, what was that?'”

Source: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/matt-sorum-foo-fighters/

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Foo Fighters is bubblegum rock. I agree. Nice fun show but no danger or anything crazy. Just standard issue rock. I like the Foos okay... But they are closer to pop rock like U2 than badass rock like GNR.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

“If you go to a Foo Fighters show, you’re gonna see a band play their set, and everything is gonna go down nice, and he’ll thank the crowd, and everyone’s gonna go home and go ‘Wow, that was a really nice rock ‘n’ roll show,'” he argued. “Not everything went perfect in any of the bands I’ve been in, but I know one thing: People on their way home were going ‘Holy —-, what was that?'”

Source: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/matt-sorum-foo-fighters/

He's fucking kidding right??  I went to 2 Foo Fighters shows.  Not a huge fan, just happened to get tix. The first in fact, was a neighbor I didn't know all that well who's wife/gf bailed on him the day of. Anyway, the shows were good, really good. I admit it wasn't AIC or NIN in 92 or anything, or GnR AFD/UYI.  However wth about the GnR "chaos" he's so proud of??  I went to 1 GnR show. We all know how that turned out (Philly 2002).  Granted Matt wasn't a part of that but he shouldn't wear the riots & cancelled shows like a badge or honor. It was all petty, childish & disrespectful to the fans.

AtariLegend wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Granted Matt wasn't a part of that but he shouldn't wear the riots & cancelled shows like a badge or honor. It was all petty, childish & disrespectful to the fans.

In the BBC documentary from a while back, once they get around to the riots part... Matt laughs it off and says sales skyrocketed.

Board footer