You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guns N' Roses: Coachella, April 16

James wrote:

I like how they're having fun with it...the Mickey shirts especially. Axl tweeting that AC/DC hint right before Angus....this is the kinda stuff completely lacking in the CD era.

I'll say it again....he was never comfortable during the CD era.

We already knew this but this show seals it.....the concert experience has went to shit. The average concert goer is not enjoying the show like in decades past. Its all about just standing there and recording it to prove on social media you were there so your friends can wear out the 'like' button. The rest of the crowd not doing this also feeds off the vibe. That massive crowd should have set off the richter scale during at least Jungle but nada.

Its not a GNR problem....its a crowd problem. The cell phone era has killed concerts. Doesn't bother me that much since I'm older and will likely just sit there(or stand) but I cant imagine anyone in their 20s just standing there like a statue.

bigbri wrote:

Pretty full set for a fest.

That surprised me. It looks like there's one set list with a few alternates. They aren't going to tailor a specific set list to a specific crowd. I was hoping this was going to the Soundgarden route since other aspects of it have.....it's not.

For the record I'm not complaining. There's nothing wrong with the set list. I figured they would throw a hits set at this crowd but instead it wound up being similar to the Vegas set.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

From what I saw I thought things went pretty well. Some issues. First time I really heard what people say about Frank. Noticed it on November Rain first. Slash's tone was off too..technical problem really. The energy was there. Long set which suprised me too. You can't really beat Angus up there either
Kinda put a jolt of excitement into the whole Axl DC

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I don't necessarily think the faster tempo is a bad thing. In 1986 at Music Machine they played super slow and it was fucking awesome, lol. Either way it gives the songs a different sound and that is refreshing when you think about how many thousands of times all of us have heard the songs. In general it would be better if they can get it locked down to the studio tempo, mainly for casual audiences.

I've noticed the faster pace too, but who's to say that's not by design? I mean, 4 shows in now, if any of the members had a problem with the pacing don't you think it'd be addressed? Are people afraid to speak up? Are they actively working on it but just aren't there yet? Or are they alright with the faster pace? To me it sounds like they are ALL rushing. It's easy to blame Frank, but I'm not sure it's entirely fair. Axl is rushing, Slash is rushing, they all are. Again, maybe it's by design?

I have heard complaints about Frank outside of GNR circles, but that could be a preference type thing. Even casual fans would rather see Adler or Sorum up there because they're familiar with them. So that might have something to do with it. There doesn't appear to be much worry from anyone in the band. They all seem genuinely thrilled with the performances so far, at least from what I can surmise. So again, maybe they don't view it as this huge problem that others seem to.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is what I like to see. Sorum waits for Slash. Eventhough he knows he is fucked up.  I have a feeling Frank would have just kept banging away.

James

James wrote:

I'm with Faldor....its either by design or they simply need more rehearsals. Each person onstage knows how big of an event this is. Factor their nerves into this as well. Imagine how Slash must feel each time TIL gets played.....a song that dates back to UYI that he should have been on, should have been released 96-97, but instead gets released a lifetime later with someone else on guitar yet he's performing it in 2016 and beyond. THis whole reunion is surreal.

I know some were hoping for the AFD 5 for Coachella. I think that can be officially ruled out now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I've noticed the faster pace too,

The problem isn't the faster pace, it's that the pace is inconsistent within the songs.

If they just played the song start to finish at a faster pace than the record that would be one thing - and perhaps not entirely bad - might allow more songs in the setlist given the slow pacing of a number of GNR tracks.

The issue though is that the songs seem to start at a certain pace then speed up throughout.

This causes people to get out of time with each other and I don't think that part would be by design.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

We already knew this but this show seals it.....the concert experience has went to shit. The average concert goer is not enjoying the show like in decades past. Its all about just standing there and recording it to prove on social media you were there so your friends can wear out the 'like' button. The rest of the crowd not doing this also feeds off the vibe. That massive crowd should have set off the richter scale during at least Jungle but nada.

The front of the audience were the closest ones to "into it" that you'll see on the Jungle/Rain videos. You missed the streams we're watching from the zombie crowd that barely recognized the hits. They didn't recognize Angus either or care about AC/DC.

You can say it's a crowd's these days thing, but this really wasn't their audience. Look at the rest of the acts there yesterday and the way the festival promotes their product, Guns were the odd act out.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I've noticed the faster pace too,

The problem isn't the faster pace, it's that the pace is inconsistent within the songs.

If they just played the song start to finish at a faster pace than the record that would be one thing - and perhaps not entirely bad - might allow more songs in the setlist given the slow pacing of a number of GNR tracks.

The issue though is that the songs seem to start at a certain pace then speed up throughout.

This causes people to get out of time with each other and I don't think that part would be by design.

Seems to happen some in November rain and PC and of course rocket queen and sometimes jungle. And I am not someone that usually notices that shit. Plus all these extra beats he plays on signature fills. Not needed. Like he even fucks up the easiest fill in GNR history and over plays it (the November Rain fill)

AtariLegend wrote:

Guess which former Guns N' Roses drummer was at Coachella last night?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEUqS6Lvbuo … lissareese

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The front of the audience were the closest ones to "into it" that you'll see on the Jungle/Rain videos. You missed the streams we're watching from the zombie crowd that barely recognized the hits. They didn't recognize Angus either or care about AC/DC.

You can say it's a crowd's these days thing, but this really wasn't their audience. Look at the rest of the acts there yesterday and the way the festival promotes their product, Guns were the odd act out.

Festivals like Coachella and Lolla don't even need major acts. People go simply because of the name of the festival.....the headliners bordering on irrelevant. Just like Soundgarden and Black HOle Sun, GNR could have just performed their biggest hits and it would have been enough for 99% of the crowd. Its why I'm so surprised they got what looks to be shaping up as the standard set list. They could have easily pulled out tracks like Coma, DTJ, CD, etc. and no one there would have complained. In fact, they wouldn't even know the songs were missing.

I bet GNR considered the Coachella performance a rehearsal. The audience consisted of probably a handful of hardcores, couple thousand casuals, and the rest would have been standing there even if the Honkeytonk Man was onstage instead.

It was money in the bank and massive promo. Nothing more, nothing less.

Board footer