You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Guns N' Roses: Coachella, April 16

Smoking Guns wrote:

The more of this show I see the worse it gets. Thank god we got the troub, and Vegas. This is a far inferior show.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The more of this show I see the worse it gets. Thank god we got the troub, and Vegas. This is a far inferior show.

I haven't seen much of it but I don't think its bad. No one should have expected some monumental show. It's Coachella. That crowd is lucky they got the set list they did. GNR could have just coasted through a condensed set on autopilot.

AtariLegend wrote:

Guess which former Guns N' Roses drummer was at Coachella last night?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEUqS6Lvbuo … lissareese

Stuff like this isn't going to make any waves. From an extreme hardcore perspective....yeah pretty cool. Other people wouldn't even make the connection. Axl could stand next to him and no one would know his connection to Chinese Democracy.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Stuff like this isn't going to make any waves. From an extreme hardcore perspective....yeah pretty cool. Other people wouldn't even make the connection. Axl could stand next to him and no one would know his connection to Chinese Democracy.

What if Chris Vrenna is backstage at the next show?

You'd at least to have to find it funny.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I haven't seen much of it but I don't think its bad. No one should have expected some monumental show. It's Coachella. That crowd is lucky they got the set list they did. GNR could have just coasted through a condensed set on autopilot.

Honestly? They probably should've. Read a couple of reviews where the casuals were just sitting there screaming for November Rain and SCOM, and completely ignoring Coma, Better etc. Give the public what they want, etc.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

There are good nights and bad nights. Don't be surprised if they have a bad night when they're playing too a shitty crowd.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I've noticed the faster pace too,

The problem isn't the faster pace, it's that the pace is inconsistent within the songs.

If they just played the song start to finish at a faster pace than the record that would be one thing - and perhaps not entirely bad - might allow more songs in the setlist given the slow pacing of a number of GNR tracks.

The issue though is that the songs seem to start at a certain pace then speed up throughout.

This causes people to get out of time with each other and I don't think that part would be by design.

I can't say that I've watched enough videos close enough to notice the inconsistencies. I did notice the faster pace, but it didn't take away from the quality of the performances for me. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't hear it that way.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Honestly? They probably should've. Read a couple of reviews where the casuals were just sitting there screaming for November Rain and SCOM, and completely ignoring Coma, Better etc. Give the public what they want, etc.

Soundgarden dealt with the same shit at Lolla. A crowd full of hipsters yelling for Black Hole Sun. A few of us hardcore fans were hoping they'd have the balls to open with it so it would dilute the crowd and all hardcorees in attendance could get up front.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

What if Chris Vrenna is backstage at the next show?

You'd at least to have to find it funny.

Hell...I wouldn't even recognize him. 14

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

See, good thing they announced those Vegas shows so you could sell your Coachella tickets. I'm not sure I could've sat through all that other stuff to get to GNR. I mean, I'm sure I still would've thoroughly enjoyed their set, just not everything else that surrounded it.

As for the performance, I think I've only seen the AC/DC songs and the pro shot footage. Those 4 songs sounded pretty great to me. Do you disagree or are there other songs you're referring to that made the show inferior?

James

James wrote:

As far as the songs at a different pace....anyone think it might be intentional?

Where's dave and his magic headphones? 13

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm not sure I could've sat through all that other stuff to get to GNR. I mean, I'm sure I still would've thoroughly enjoyed their set, just not everything else that surrounded it.

Nah, you just sit round the campsite all day getting shitfaced & sunburnt & head over to the festival for about half 9/10. The only headache you'd have to deal with would've been the actual audience - like James with lolla, in these places the hardcores are the minority.. well fuck tbh sometimes GnR fans piss me off - well the ones at that Dublin gig in '08, but that's prob more to do with Dublin people than GnR fans tbh..

Board footer