You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

Let me drop some science... Axl/DC is the best chance you have at new material. Period.

It's the wrong time in the cycle though.

The Ac/Dc pattern is album drop, 2 year world tour, 3-4 years downtime, regroup, 6 months recording, album drop, repeat.....

On the normal pattern rock or bust would finish up the tour for the rest of this year, then go into down mode, Angus should resurface circa 2021 or so.

Given they're getting older maybe he'd work faster knowing he's running out of time. Or maybe slower given the touring would take more of a toll.

Additionally the next album may be harder to write - Malcom is not in the picture - the Rock or Bust was constructed from spare riffs Angus had kept lying around over the last two decades or so....but who knows if there's enough in that vault to go for a new album without needing to spend time writing properly....

I think Angus is the type to play until health stops him, but given these facts I think we're a few years out at least from the next record.

GNR on the other hand has had an album or more lying in wait since at least 2009, meanwhile Slash and Duff are back to repair any non-gnrness about it, and Slash smashes out an album about every 2 years or so.

Axl seems to be more like his old self, he seems happier, he is singing with rasp and seems to really care again - even doing stuff like coma.

I actually think a new-gnr album and maybe something epic is much more likely to happen next.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Mama's Good Boy wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

We hold GNR to a higher standard. I expect new music. Period.

One album in over 20 years.  Yea, high standards.

As we've pretty conclusively established in the other thread, Chinese Democracy was done and dusted in a perfectly reasonable amount of time. The delays were largely the result of record company politics – and their reluctance to accept Axl's relaunched GN'R. With Slash and Duff back, those barriers are gone. Recording new material will take no time at all, given the amount of stuff in the vault – and the fact that Slash and Duff are happy to play (and rework) CD-era songs suggests that they won't be averse to working on Axl's existing stash of material.

I wouldn't expect to see new material before they've milked the tour for all it's worth, though – it'll sell itself on the nostalgia value for the time being, and there's no way they'll release anything before they've done the US, Asia-Pacific and Europe regions at least once. Why would they, when the simple fact of the regrouping will sell out stadiums? Plus there's all the opportunity to mine the vaults for the Appetite 30th anniversary next year. No, if we get new material it'll be in 2018.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

Let me drop some science... Axl/DC is the best chance you have at new material. Period.

The Ac/Dc pattern is album drop, 2 year world tour, 3-4 years downtime, regroup, 6 months recording, album drop, repeat.....

On the normal pattern rock or bust would finish up the tour for the rest of this year, then go into down mode, Angus should resurface circa 2021 or so.

Given they're getting older maybe he'd work faster knowing he's running out of time. Or maybe slower given the touring would take more of a toll.

Additionally the next album may be harder to write - Malcom is not in the picture - the Rock or Bust was constructed from spare riffs Angus had kept lying around over the last two decades or so....but who knows if there's enough in that vault to go for a new album without needing to spend time writing properly....

I think Angus is the type to play until health stops him, but given these facts I think we're a few years out at least from the next record.

GNR on the other hand has had an album or more lying in wait since at least 2009, meanwhile Slash and Duff are back to repair any non-gnrness about it, and Slash smashes out an album about every 2 years or so.

Axl seems to be more like his old self, he seems happier, he is singing with rasp and seems to really care again - even doing stuff like coma.

I actually think a new-gnr album and maybe something epic is much more likely to happen next.

The simple fact of Axl's arrival throws a wrench into those plans, though. AC/DC might normally follow a preordained cycle, but if they plan to make Axl/DC an ongoing concern, they need to get new studio material out asap.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

He hardly needs years to recover. I guess, with Brian and the previous lineup, it had gotten to be about taking a leave from your ordinary life for 2,5 years and making the band a priority. It's a long time to stay together with a small bunch of people and away from family and friends. The downtimes enabled them to ease off on each other and do it all over again. They had a solid foundation, they could all walk away from the band after the tour and think, unless proven otherwise, they'd pick it up again for the next one.

monkeychow wrote:

Additionally the next album may be harder to write - Malcom is not in the picture - the Rock or Bust was constructed from spare riffs Angus had kept lying around over the last two decades or so....

It's a different band. They're revisiting the Razor's Edge -era somewhat. Brian was absent from lyric writing, as he was in the middle of a divorce. Ever since that album, the Young brothers have also written the lyrics. This is something I bet Axl would love take a shot at, to put down some Bon Scott metre.

Malcolm is a big loss, tho. Off the top of my head, why not bring Duff in as a songwriter, like he did with Jane's Addiction? He'd likely be the sort of no-nonsense guy Angus would approve to have around. They'd have a strong unit in place, so the process would be different as to with Malcolm, but they could certainly crank out an album. Having Axl on top it all could be pretty rocking.

monkeychow wrote:

I think Angus is the type to play until health stops him, but given these facts I think we're a few years out at least from the next record..

We can always wonder how eager Angus would've been to a do a follow-up with Brian, without Malcolm. They could've taken a break and toured the world for a few years with their back catalogue.

With Axl, Angus pretty much needs to do one album to legitimize him as more than a Brian replacement.

monkeychow wrote:

I agree. Axl's work on the vocals is probably all but done - and has been for a good while.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

So if this theory is true, why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch over Axl/DC when in theory it's going to be done until 2021 anyways? That leaves Guns plenty of time to come up with new albums, in theory. I think people are panicking over nothing here, even if Axl is a full member of AC/DC. And we're still merely assuming there will be new GNR material. Slash and Duff re-doing old GNR vault material isn't a collaborative reunion lineup album that we're salivating for. Not that it wouldn't be an amazing record.

I'm fairly confident if the day comes Axl is a full fledged AC/DC member, Angus will have a solid plan to go forward. If they don't plan to do anything for 5 more years, Angus isn't going to make him a member of the band publicly. If he announces Axl is in, I'm sure he'll be heading to the studio much quicker than before. If Angus wants to re-establish the new AC/DC he's gotta do things faster than before, especially if he wants to retain his singer.

It's all a crap shoot, but everything can coincide together here.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The simple fact of Axl's arrival throws a wrench into those plans, though. AC/DC might normally follow a preordained cycle, but if they plan to make Axl/DC an ongoing concern, they need to get new studio material out asap.

We don't actually know that they intend Axl for the long term though.

Brian is apparently making progress with his hearing. Meanwhile Ac/Dc has previously used fill-in members for isolated situations such as this illness. For example the band previously used Stevie while Malcom was in rehab or alcohol problems some years back. Once that was passed they went back to Malcom. I could see a world in which they thank Axl for being a stand-in and helping them out of a jam - then return to business as usual.

Of course hard to know what the market would prefer on that one. Brian still has more legitimacy as the Ac/Dc singer - but it's also a fact that he's 68 and it's hard to imagine him pushing onto the next album cycle in his 70s even if they sort out his ears. Angus himself probably has about 10 years left of realistic health for this - Axl is young enough to facilitate this. I suspect many fans may be torn - their love for Brian against the vitality that Axl can bring to what is probably the band's sunset years next record.

Angus has said he hasn't decided what to do beyond these shows.

Assuming he does decide to keep Axl though I disagree that we'd need new material soon. I think these shows itself were the ground-breaker for the concept. They're making those short promo videos and clearly on a PR push to win people over. My next move would be to finish this tour - then  release a pro-shot of one of the nights Axl was out of the chair and vocally still on fire - maybe London - or one of the shows yet to come. This would fit with the catalogue as they've done a DVD release of all of the other tours in recent years to close the tour.

Then have a couple of years downtime to refresh the market and write new songs. Then write your new comeback album ala "Black Ice" and "Rock or Bust" and just have Axl on vocals like it's normal. By then Axl on vocals will be old news and not shocking.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Putting out a concert DVD of Axl singing when Brian sang on the album the tour is based on and did 75% of the tour's shows to begin with? No, that wouldn't piss anyone off. Haha.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm with apex.....the standard cycles of these iconic bands are being thrown out the window due to the remaining sand in the hourglass. A major act sitting idle for 5-6 years is no more. The next few years will be very interesting for fans of all these types of bands(ACDC, Stones, GNR, Metallica, U2, Springsteen, McCartney,etc.). If any of them do go idle, its because they want to spend the remaining years of their lives out of the public eye.

ACDC isn't going to disappear until 2021 no matter who the lead singer is.

Putting out a concert DVD of Axl singing when Brian sang on the album the tour is based on and did 75% of the tour's shows to begin with? No, that wouldn't piss anyone off. Haha.

It has two huge fan bases to make money off of and a casual audience who would buy it just because it was so unique. Don't think anyone involved in that would give a damn about those who are pissed off by it.

There are people pissed that it happened in the first place yet stadiums full of people and the media are content to let those people piss in their own cheerios while the rest of the world enjoys it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

A double DVD might be an idea. One of Brians best show and one of Axls.

I'd like to see the Axl/DC thing wind down after the US shows anyway. Too much time was lost between 93-2015, it'd be a shame to lose more of it in the years to come on side projects and none GNR activities, however cool Axl in AC/DC is. Not to mention the long term wear on his voice.

Secondly Brian is rumoured to be on the mend. Personally I think Angus wanted to let him go but it's just my own opinion. However if Brian is fit to return then Axl can step aside as the conquering stand in. Probably with a lot more kudos among AC/DC fans and the rock community in general. It won't look as good if he replaces Brian full time and Brian's still claiming he's fit to continue. Then he becomes the guy that ousted Brian Johnson, not stood in for him.

With all that said I'm still seriously considering a last minute purchase of a ticket for manchester on Thursday 16

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

However if Brian is fit to return then Axl can step aside as the conquering stand in. Probably with a lot more kudos among AC/DC fans and the rock community in general. It won't look as good if he replaces Brian full time and Brian's still claiming he's fit to continue. Then he becomes the guy that ousted Brian Johnson, not stood in for him.

This is the important bit, right here. If Brian continues to claim he's still fit to perform, Axl will have to do the smart thing and step back.

Board footer