You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: How Duff McKagan brokered multi-million dollar deal (Tabloid Article)

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Slash's Snakebite?

Fucking hell...

I do not know why but that just makes me smirk.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

You know what..? Up until these gigs started I would have given a nut to hear all about how these guys got back together again. Now?
Frankly, the music is so fucking good and so FRESH and NEW again that I'm just to damn pleased with all of them to really give a shit.
My only hope is that all of the shit is really dealt with and the hurt is over.
They are playing so well that I think it just might be.

I agree. The CD years were all talk, no action. Now its all action, no talk. I think they should just skip explaining to fans/media how it all came together an ignore all the negative crap between both sides over the past 20+ years. Nothing good can come of it and fans don't deserve an explanation anyways.

I like how they labeled it the "Not in this lifetime" tour. Took that negative jab, turned it into a positive, and now have the 21st century's Hell Freezes Over on their hands.

Sky Dog wrote:

good luck with new music....this is the cash grab of all cash grab tours.

I disagree. Well its a cash grab simply because they are making truck loads of money but other than that it does not come across as simply doing it for the money. There's a lot of ambition behind it. They could have phoned it in with an AFD rehash set list that the world had already been accustomed to. Instead they are digging into their deep cuts that fans have wanted to hear for 20+ years. Playing reworked CD tracks is also a great sign. They could have easily pretended CD didn't exist and just performed AFD songs in their place.

If it was all about money you add Izzy and Adler to add a few more mil to the asking price and play the same set every night for 90-120 minutes and move on to the next city. Repeat until your bank account is overflowing. It would be easy to do this. Give Izzy a slice of pie, Adler would do it for chump change, and everyone just has their hangers on keep em separated. You also wouldn 't bother bringing in someone like Melissa. Dump Pitman as a cost cutting measure and simply retire that slot like they did the 3 guitarist concept.

edit: I would like to hear how things went down at several points during the saga, more specifically in late 00/early 01 when Izzy was offered a spot before HOB/Rio and of course Axl's willingness to let Slash be on 3 CD songs if he apologized. Sounds like he may have been putting out feelers at that point. Then of course the behind the scenes stuff in late 05/early 06. I'd be more interested in this than the cancer, not in this lifetime 09-14 abortion years as he was just coasting on fumes during the second half of the CD era. Now THAT was a 100% cash grab.

If it might open healed/healing wounds I'd rather they just ignore it. Keep doing killer shows and unloading that vault and no one is going to ask about it.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I agree with James, the DJ/Ron era of GNR was the ultimate cash grab and boy did it show...jaded to tatters set lists, low energy singing, poor band dynamic, burgeoning alcoholism and bad humored interviews with Tommy...

This is really different, frankly Axl is singing with so much fire and passion I am scared the guys throat is going to explode out of his neck. He's grinning all the time, deep cuts that even the most hopeful of us thought we'd never see again were straight back in.

I mean did Axl suggest Coma to Slash? He must have as the band always knew its a bastard to sing, so that decision had to rest with Axl. That means that Axl must have sat down and thought about what songs Slash loved to do in GNR and he gifted Coma to him...

Slash is remaking CD bit by bit, that means he put thought, consideration and effort into respecting Axl's work done without him.
This kind of shit is not cash grab, its putting on a fucking amazing show for the fans AND making a ton of cash for doing it.
Big difference.

Last thing - no teleprompters? Am I right in thinking that? If I am right, that is a HUGE deal for Axl, he's obviously not drifting during songs anymore. This is real.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Rasp, power, confidence, soul and taking on Coma...? Incredibly brave and not just brave either..fucking KILLING it too.
I can even see Axl's younger face starting to re-emerge from the bloat...this has been very good for Axl's health, this is obvious.

Yup, he looks reinvigorated and confident. Taking on Coma means business. Delivering with it is pretty exciting.

Also agree on his physique, he fell into heavy drinking after the disappointing CD release and I reckon he gave up to the urge to 'live a little' after being sequestered in the studio and his mansion for over a decade. He'd been entitled to the Rock Star deal for a long time, only to use it as a leverage to make his own art, exercising ferociously in the process. Despodence followed, along with decadence.

Intercourse wrote:

Slash has been so generous to Axl here, he's a huge act on his own, his back catalogue with GNR could fill the night  easily, yet he still graciously agreed to work on these songs.

I think Slash mostly cared about the freedom to create his own gtr solos after Axl explained to him why he wanted those three songs. It's generous, but, across the table, it's also Axl. His songs, which he offered to Slash to elevate, like Estranged. And there's still good tunes for this band on that album, like The Blues, Catcher - and TWAT.

Great post Apex, thanks for taking the time.

Board footer