You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: 23/4/16 COACHELLA - Weekend 2

tejastech08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Damn, those Bucket solos actually make me sad. He might have been at his peak during those years in GNR, and it was totally wasted. Great stuff though.

Not totally wasted. TWAT solo is incredible.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yeah, Fortus does tend to overdo it a bit on his Nightrain solo. Oddly, it sounded much better when he played it back in 2002 – he's crammed more and more notes in there over the years, and now it comes across as a bit overstuffed.

Fuck, Bucket was awesome!!!  It should be Bucket and Slash, now that would be amazing.

Nah, it'd be like the Slash/Zakk Wylde situation – two monster lead players jockeying for position. Though I would love to see Bucket come back for a guest spot to belt out TWAT. Just once, I want to see him do his solo live; likewise with Finck and This I Love.

Now, one thing they really should be doing is reviving the "duelling guitars" during the Paradise City outro. For Christ's sake, let Fortus cut loose there, it's a complete waste to have him stuck on rhythm for the entire gig (KOHD, Nightrain and Chinese Democracy aside).

Shit Fortus is a monster lead player but he lacks identity and plays too much like Slash. Bucket does not. I mean can you imagine some trade of licks with Slash doing the ballsy blues licks and bucket the shred licks? Bucket isn't a show boat like Zakk. He seems humble and would probably work better than we think.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Damn, those Bucket solos actually make me sad. He might have been at his peak during those years in GNR, and it was totally wasted. Great stuff though.

That and Sorry are great, but there could have been much more.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck, Bucket was awesome!!!  It should be Bucket and Slash, now that would be amazing.

Nah, it'd be like the Slash/Zakk Wylde situation – two monster lead players jockeying for position. Though I would love to see Bucket come back for a guest spot to belt out TWAT. Just once, I want to see him do his solo live; likewise with Finck and This I Love.

Now, one thing they really should be doing is reviving the "duelling guitars" during the Paradise City outro. For Christ's sake, let Fortus cut loose there, it's a complete waste to have him stuck on rhythm for the entire gig (KOHD, Nightrain and Chinese Democracy aside).

I am fine with that, but to allow dueling guitars let that Outro go for a bit. Axl seems in a hurry to end that song. Slash doesn't even get to Jam it out like he does with Conspirators. PC Outro needs to be longer to allow ample time for Slash and Richard to RIP.

Yeah, it's weird – in the 2002 – 2014 era PC was a celebratory moment, an opportunity for the entire band to have their moment in the sun, with the guitarists trading licks. Now they've got Slash back and it's strangely abbreviated and muted.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

Great for the first time

Forget Nightrain. This sounds vintage.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Damn that Out Ta Get Me was pretty amazing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It really shows how strong their discography is when they can rotate major hits like Don't Cry and Patience.

That's what I was saying the other day when I looked at the recent Rolling Stones setlist from the same Mexico City stadium. Almost the entire Stones list is the Hot Rocks album with all their hits from the 60's and early 70's. It's almost like everything they've done since is completely irrelevant. This is where GN'R benefits. They basically disappeared for 20 years and it doesn't even fucking matter. The Stones kept making music since the early 70's and no one gives a shit about 99% of it.

Unreal that the Stones are ignoring 80s-00s discog. They are in a situation where they know their run is almost over so I guess its understandable to focus on earlier phases of their career. They did ignore a lot of that old stuff after their 89 comeback.

Don't Cry will always be one of my favorite GN'R songs for several reasons: it's their very first song together, Axl's vocals are friggin amazing in those early Sunset Strip bootlegs, and Slash's guitar is beautiful. The below video from 1986 pretty much sums up why I love that song so much, a band that was completely ignored on stage and 5 years later the song is Top 10 on the pop charts. You cannot get a better testament to just how unknown they were and how quickly they blew up than this video.

Another interesting aspect of the song's history is how close it came to being on AFD. That decision was a game changer and they didn't even know it.  While they were already popular before SCOM was a single, without SCOM exploding they do not get nearly as huge with any other song. When recording AFD they had three ballads to choose from....SCOM, DC, or NR. They went with SCOM. In 88 Axl claimed they chose SCOM because it was "the worst of the three". Not sure I buy that reasoning but it almost doesn't even matter. While I prefer the DC demo over the polished version, no way does that song have the impact of SCOM if its on AFD in its place. It doesn't have the universal appeal of SCOM and it also lacks the iconic intro.

bigbri wrote:

Definitely wasted. I don't think Axl understood at the time the magnitude of the talent just sitting there idle. It will forever blow my mind that Electric Tears was recorded in 2002 while GNR was tinkering around with those same initial sessions. Bucket must have been laughing or crying.

I think this is one of the reasons Soothsayer blew minds in 2006 when he first played it. We had been exposed to album leaks at that point and then you hear THAT and wonder why that is missing on the GNR songs.

Everytime I listen to Electric Tears it makes me think of CD. If Axl had a sneak preview of that album he was crazy for letting Bucket release it but by that point they had no desire to work on anything new so I guess it didn't really matter. It's a shame either way.

tejastech08 wrote:

He was wasted. He elevated every GNR song he touched but if you'll listen to the albums Bucket recorded during and right after his departure you can see how he was squandered to the point of needing a different creative outlet since nothing was happening. When you're in a major rock band at that level you should not have to release solo albums to get your material heard.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Regarding SCOM's inclusion on Appetite, I think I remember reading somewhere that they felt it was the better fit than other ballads due to how fast-paced it is. Kinda like Think About You, though that one is a ballad in name only when you realize Izzy wrote it about heroin instead of a girl. 14

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Thanks for the videos... hell of a show. Melissa was great on Better (I can finally hear her!) smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

For the record: 69-74 Stones is the greatest band to ever set foot on this planet. They are known as the Mick Taylor years and that was a power house band.

Board footer