You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Any Rumors on Opening Acts?

Bouncing to the top to push shithouse crap spam posts off the top of the forum.

Agreed on the need to pair up with contemporary acts – but there are very few acts who have the staying power to open for GN'R. There are young retro-rock bands, but you might as well get an established name if you're going down that route. Or there are mimsy hipster-rock bands who look like a stiff breeze would knock them down. What to do?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I am just happy to have Alice In Chains, just got into them last year. The Rooster = so good. I do know that their original lead singer is dead, but, I think they're a good opening band.

This is exactly how I feel about The Cult. I would've preferred Chains, but The Cult... I am a-okay with that. If I remember, The Cult was on my short-list.

I think with these opening acts, you just can't please everybody. Everybody wants something different. Some people love the idea of Black Crowes or RHCP... but I ain't into those bands. Others want Lenny Kravitz, but some don't. Another group is demanded a Skid Row reunion (even though Sabo & Bolan have repeatedly said NO, and are currently on their 5th singer I believe, in order to avoid Bach). I love having The Cult, but others feel they're too dated and irrelevant, and should be left in the 80's.

How to win? Some people are pissed GN'R tried to use contemporary acts like Chris Stapleton & Skrillex.

What are they supposed to do? A GN'R crowd can be rough. Acts like Alice In Chains, Lenny Kravitz and The Cult have immediate rock-respect with the crowd and will probably keep most butts in the seats during the opener. Then again i've heard some Alice In Chains fans who were pissed, because they wanted to see AIC perform in their area in front of 40,000 people, but didn't want to pay GN'R-prices to see an abbreviated 9-song set.

Yet if GN'R would've went with a newer rock act... who would've got the gig? Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown? A virtual no-name act to most. Sure they would've saved money, but there would've also been criticized there.

To have the majority of the tour, split between Alice In Chains, Lenny Kravitz & The Cult... I think GN'R did a pretty damn good job on picking openers. All three of those acts are a tip of the cap to the golden-era of GN'R. AIC was the one band of that era, big time influenced by GN'R to go on to major success. I believe all four original members (Staley, Starr, Cantrell & Kinney) all marked out at some point in various interviews. Kravitz harkens back to the Always On The Run 1992-era collabs with Slash, and specifically the Paris '92 show... a classic. And The Cult was one of the bands that gave GN'R their start and originally GN'R opened for The Cult, on their Electric tour in '87.

The Cult was also a band who not only gave GN'R one of their early prime slots on tour, but Axl & Slash both mentioned in interviews back then how well The Cult treated them, even though they were just kids and an unproven band.

This is them paying them back. So I don't get everyone's attitude about the opening acts. If you don't like The Cult, check your rock card at the door and fuck off, because you don't get it.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wolfmother? Interesting. Wonder if Stockdale will come out and guest on By The Sword...

Board footer