You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Axl vs Google/the internet

Interesting... The Guardian article on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ … ove-photos

links to the "2 minutes of Axl Rose asking for some reggae" YouTube video – and that's been taken down by the same firm that's handling the copyright claims on the "Fat Axl" photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7Z20fJH6I

Seems like Axl is doing a more comprehensive image-management push than it first appeared.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It may be futile, but at the same time image means a lot. Being in shape and doing good shows will only go so far when the first picture after an Axl Rose google search is a fat man meme. Plenty of people still go around thinking Axl is always 3 hours late and has riots at his shows. This might help alleviate things. If not it's a bit of promotion at least (front page "news" in Norwegian papers).

He's got one thing going for him in this, and that is delivering great performances. For once people are defending him. If this was 5 years ago it would only make things much worse since then the meme was basically accurate. It's not really anymore.

johndivney wrote:

Slightly off topic but for me it's a crying shame. Axl n guns used to represent something for me, individualism & freedom. Now I see him buddies with these web sheriff cunts it kills my soul. Used to run into web sheriff a lot during my pirating days & to my eyes they're representative of a moment where the internet started to be policed. Corporate greed run amok, & axl in bed with them & his lawyers, the fat fucking cunt. Fuck them all. It was all just an act to be sold at the end of the day the fucker. If I'd known then..

On topic, he's clearly made a rod for his own back here/the striesand effect as has been noted. But he also believes there's no such thing as bad publicity so he doesn't care in that regard.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

I was just reading the Nighttrain thread, and people there were saying it was a good move because it "raised awareness". I wouldn't be surprised if some overzealous fans were behind this. According to mygnr it didn't come directly from Axl.

Either way, it should have been left alone. I've seen the memes much more since this thing blew up, and Axl's haters are going to town.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

I'm guessing the number of google searches for "Axl Rose" are WAY up in 2016. he is filling in as front man for one of the biggest bands on the planet. and he has his own huge tour coming up where GnR will be one of the most talked about bands of the summer.

I'm guessing someone pointed out the fact that this photo comes up right away, and that can have a negative impact on image, which can and does affect sales. could be Axl not wanting that image to be the first thing people see (or see at all), but could totally be ACDC's camp, or even the promoters of the GnR tour. basically, anyone with a vested interest in making money off of these bands this year could have pushed for the removal.

I think it's a good move. and for all of those that disagree and are criticizing him for it, we basically have our first "negative" Axl development of 2016. if this is as bad as it gets, i'll take it!

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, he is kinda chunky (as is Slash). However, he is singing his ass off and kicking so much ass with AC/DC that I don't think he needed to bring attention to it. He is a chunked middle aged man now....own it and go out and still be the man like Elvis in the 70's.

Once that Gnr tour amps up, you are gonna have fat Axl and Slash pictures popping up from the haters. It is inevitable.

Sky Dog wrote:

and don't tell me Slash isn't fat, he is. It is just what happens to us middle aged fucks.

johndivney wrote:

Sky dog, lay off the burgers..

Sky Dog wrote:

aye...I am alright...about 10-15 pounds heavier...beer and wine...burgers and chili dogs!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWVxwOb5k5fiXaaWZXZPr3V2wVnuzAIddqjbWs0sWn9BStRA-f6g

20121207-the-varsity-burger-hot-dog.jpg

Board footer