You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: The Set-List

polluxlm wrote:

Maybe not, but even "the standard" hasn't been the case for 25 years. People get old, lazy, set in their ways. At least we get some deep cuts when they could have opted for a pure greatest hits package.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

They experimented more at the beginning of the tour (TWAT, Yesterdays, Used to love her) and now seem more focused on what they know to work best.

Also, remember that it's really rare for somebody to see more than 2 concerts in the same tour. I saw the 2 in Vegas and got fairly different setlists but got no TWAT, that I absolutely adore.

Also on the uyi tours it was a different setlist only in 1991 and after it was basically the same for each leg but with different ordering. Keep in mind that the production was much much simpler back then and lighting, pyro and fireworks tend to make the setlist more rigid.

johndivney wrote:
otto wrote:

Also, remember that it's really rare for somebody to see more than 2 concerts in the same tour.

No it's not. Particularly if they play two shows in the same city.

+ loadsa people will have already seen the show on youtube before going to the gig, making it even more imperative for surprises from night to night.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

#Bitch #Moan

These are stadium shows with 40,000 - 60,000 people. "Loads of people" haven't been watching the YouTube videos or going to multiple shows. Loads of people are going to the show, plopping down 50 bucks for merchandise, and 50 bucks for beer and leaving VERY happy and VERY satisfied.

Doing Coma and the Chinese songs is ridiculous - they're there because of Slash-service, Axl-service, Duff-service, and fan-service. We are getting a sundae with these shows. I am very happy GNR chooses to be ridiculous.

Their whole catalog are 'must play' songs to someone. That's the problem. Personally I'm not missing TWAT or Back Of Bitch or Bad Obsession or whatever song that will end up being played and some forum poster will end up moving the goal post anyway.

Coma.

FFS.

Coma.

johndivney wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

whatever song that will end up being played and some forum poster will end up moving the goal post anyway.

Except the people complaining aren't the ones moving the goal posts: it's the exact same complaint as in '06,'08/'09.
The crux of the complaint is that the set lists are indicative of the general malaise and lazy attitude that has infected GnR for the past 25 years.
There is clearly supercilious thinking going on, that whatever's being presented is "good enough" & we should somehow be grateful for even that?! WHAT?! & there's little effort made to go above and beyond. & people have a right to expect that, why should the band or the fans settle for "ok that's good enough", asif merely being in their presence is some kind of privilege?! Not for me well. I don't think the sunshines out of axls fat hole.

Good for you lot who are glad to accept whatever they feed you, it doesn't mean others don't have legitimate questions of the organisation.
& why shouldn't people be allowed to express an opinion, & if you're so content why let it bother you anyway?
It's funny how you can OMG and spunk yer load to Coma but it's somehow less legitimate for someone to do likewise to TWAT or Back off Bitch?! That doesn't seem very fair..

Surely given that these are stadium shows with 40-60,000 then statistically it's more likely more people will have seen the show online or be going to multiple gigs that the 5-8,000 that turned up for the arena shows with axl & his travelling circus..??

Meh. It is what it is. I didn't even want to get into this fight really. I've long since accepted the slack attitude of Axl to the brand. I'm just saying that the set list is just one of many indicators of the attitude at play - both from the owners & from the people/fans who accept it. It's clearly not a fight I'll ever win, I learned that a long time ago. Or at least I thought I did.. I'm just beatin a dead horse..

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

whatever song that will end up being played and some forum poster will end up moving the goal post anyway.

Except the people complaining aren't the ones moving the goal posts: it's the exact same complaint as in '06,'08/'09.
The crux of the complaint is that the set lists are indicative of the general malaise and lazy attitude that has infected GnR for the past 25 years.
There is clearly supercilious thinking going on, that whatever's being presented is "good enough" & we should somehow be grateful for even that?! WHAT?! & there's little effort made to go above and beyond. & people have a right to expect that, why should the band or the fans settle for "ok that's good enough", asif merely being in their presence is some kind of privilege?! Not for me well. I don't think the sunshines out of axls fat hole.

Good for you lot who are glad to accept whatever they feed you, it doesn't mean others don't have legitimate questions of the organisation.
& why shouldn't people be allowed to express an opinion, & if you're so content why let it bother you anyway?
It's funny how you can OMG and spunk yer load to Coma but it's somehow less legitimate for someone to do likewise to TWAT or Back off Bitch?! That doesn't seem very fair..

Surely given that these are stadium shows with 40-60,000 then statistically it's more likely more people will have seen the show online or be going to multiple gigs that the 5-8,000 that turned up for the arena shows with axl & his travelling circus..??

Meh. It is what it is. I didn't even want to get into this fight really. I've long since accepted the slack attitude of Axl to the brand. I'm just saying that the set list is just one of many indicators of the attitude at play - both from the owners & from the people/fans who accept it. It's clearly not a fight I'll ever win, I learned that a long time ago. Or at least I thought I did.. I'm just beatin a dead horse..

I really do find this quote compelling because there is so much truth to it. It gets to the heart of what I always called this...the "cash grab tour."

I even felt this way as I was walking up to Soldier field on Friday. The emotions were truly all over the place. I was so happy and grateful that this was happening. I was angry and sad it hadn't happened sooner. I was so thankful to have this band in my life. I was upset and pissed that there could have been so much more.

In the end...I just tried to focus on the positive feelings.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Do WTTJ first. I guess this is Duff's work. Always WTTJ first.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

The same people would go to shows multiple times and watch it online (had the technology been existent/proven) in 2006 as in 2016.
Same online nerd fanbase. *Raises hand*. It's a finite amount.

There's a REASON the setlists are the way they are. There's practically a science to it. Not doing WTTJ first is genius. Why waste the biggest pop of the night on a song that's going to get a big pop anyway? You have no where to go if you do WTTJ first. ISE cuts in right away and kicks things off. WTTJ lets you back off and then crank it up again. There's a reason.

The setlists as they are let them check the right boxes each night.

When push comes to shove, every fan that makes a 'dream setlist' in one of those threads ends up basically making the same setlist as every other fan... and they end up looking like the real setlist, plus or minus 4 or 5 songs. What do you REALLY want? Random setlists with no flow or rhyme or reason to order? A night with nothing but slow ballads? A night with nothing but fast songs one after another after another? A "No SCOM, No WWTJ, No PC, No NR" night where everyone goes home pissed except for 200 people who were jazzed about hearing Perfect Crime? (Frankly, some of the Pearl Jam setlists would SUCK for the casual fan...doing the whole 'Binaural' album? No thanks, Eddie.)

Civil War, Estranged, Coma are NOT SONGS YOU DO IF YOU ARE LAZY.

johndivney wrote:

Ok then, risk-averse then maybe? Instead of lazy?
I dunno. I don't wanna rain on your parade so I'll lay off. I did think it was telling tho when you said he did the Slash intro line, sorta highlights the scripted nature of the thing..
I'll still be goin to the shows, despite my reservations. I'll just be more like mitchejw, mixed emotions. As long as people are getting off on it that's what's ultimately important at the end of the day.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
otto wrote:

on the uyi tours it was a different setlist only in 1991 and after it was basically the same for each leg but with different ordering. Keep in mind that the production was much much simpler back then and lighting, pyro and fireworks tend to make the setlist more rigid.

True that. The UYI tours went into rock lore as 'lacking setlists'. In actuality, by the Gilby days, they had a strict pool of songs with a flexible sequence.

Gagarin wrote:

You have no where to go if you do WTTJ first. ISE cuts in right away and kicks things off. WTTJ lets you back off and then crank it up again. There's a reason.

That reason is Axl. WTTJ became a staple opener on 01/01/01 and stayed that way throughout the Robin era. CD was made priority only after the album drop. In between, even on the now-legendary '06-07 season, it was an AFD show. IRS and Better became regulars, but the UYI deep cuts were non-existent. It had to do with Axl's self-admitted 'emotional problems' with the back catalogue and the desire to promote an unreleased album. The only thing they had to fall back on was AFD, or so they thought.

Having Slash and Duff back has reinstated him with a whole of self-assuredness. They can now do something like Coma, which is bordering on obscure and represents a certain musical deep-end for Guns during the UYI-era. And he's fine with picking that thread up again, because the current lineup validates the inclusion. Axl has less to prove right now as his main men have old-school credentials.

Gagarin wrote:

What do you REALLY want?

Podium seats and an in-line mic so I could call out the next song beforehand.

Gagarin wrote:

Civil War, Estranged, Coma are NOT SONGS YOU DO IF YOU ARE LAZY.

Ironically, Estranged re-emerged in Rock in Rio 2011. A high point of the show. A lazy show.

Board footer