You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 6/7/16 PAUL BROWN STADIUM, CINCINNATI, OH UNITED STATES

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

How fucking cool was Slash putting his arm around his boy. Fuck yes.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

it's not like they can't afford it!

I think you're underestimating Sorum's ego.

I also don't see why there'd be any logistical purpose to having 3 different drummers each night playing, unless it was a 1 off "farewell show". It's not like it would boost ticket sales.

It was cool Steven got his moment and will no doubt get more, but I don't see how anyone could really think Frank would be getting fired at this point like they're no doubt thinking on that other forum.

I think you're inflating Sorum's ego - the man works with a ton of charities, and in a lot of session gigs, and in various "all-star" bands that would require being not too much of a dickhead to maintain relations with out famous people like Hollywood Vampires, and Kings of Chaos. He's simply not the devil he is made out to be on these forums.

As for the logistics issue - the band spent 30 years dragging around 3 guitarists when it only needed two, it has two keyboard players (really the second and third when you consider Axl can also play piano quite well), it takes around a massive entourage of support staff including people like Jarmo who were basically friends given odd jobs like 'photographer' - I think we can make some room for the guy who drummed on 50% of the bands Albums.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

it's not like they can't afford it!

I think you're underestimating Sorum's ego.

I also don't see why there'd be any logistical purpose to having 3 different drummers each night playing, unless it was a 1 off "farewell show". It's not like it would boost ticket sales.

It was cool Steven got his moment and will no doubt get more, but I don't see how anyone could really think Frank would be getting fired at this point like they're no doubt thinking on that other forum.

I think you're inflating Sorum's ego - the man works with a ton of charities, and in a lot of session gigs, and in various "all-star" bands that would require being not too much of a dickhead to maintain relations with out famous people like Hollywood Vampires, and Kings of Chaos. He's simply not the devil he is made out to be on these forums.

As for the logistics issue - the band spent 30 years dragging around 3 guitarists when it only needed two, it has two keyboard players (really the second and third when you consider Axl can also play piano quite well), it takes around a massive entourage of support staff including people like Jarmo who were basically friends given odd jobs like 'photographer' - I think we can make some room for the guy who drummed on 50% of the bands Albums.

I love when monkey goes off on a badass post... Nice work Monkey!

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think you're inflating Sorum's ego - the man works with a ton of charities

Almost every celebrity does. Melissa is the only one currently one in the band that hasn't been directly involved in a charity event story (that I can recall) this year (and considering most on these sites had no idea who she was a few months ago).

If you think Matt would want to do this tour without getting a decent cut, it's not happening.

monkeychow wrote:

As for the logistics issue - the band spent 30 years dragging around 3 guitarists

They played on the stage on every track and it was a preference for how Axl decided he wanted the band to sound live. He addressed early on in the CD saga many years ago, why they have 3 guitarists for the AFD material. It is very different than having 3 rotating drummers.

monkeychow wrote:

it has two keyboard players (really the second and third when you consider Axl can also play piano quite well)

This is the same thing, except the Chinese material which they aren't dropping anytime soon requires it.

monkeychow wrote:

Jarmo

jarmo isn't at every show and there's nothing to indicate he's getting paid £70,000 a year or whatever to attend shows.

monkeychow wrote:

friends given odd jobs like 'photographer'

If you mean Katarina Benzova who does those black/white photos for the tours, press releases and the website... she works for several bands like the Stones/Aerosmith/Kiss ect. She's not exactly just a friend.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Almost every celebrity does. Melissa is the only one currently one in the band that hasn't been directly involved in a charity event story (that I can recall) this year (and considering most on these sites had no idea who she was a few months ago).

Yeah I'm not saying he's a god or better than anyone or anything.

I'm just saying there is an internet mythology that's grown around the ideal that he's some type of uber-asshole - and not only that but WORSE than other rock stars - as lets be honest - rock musican is not exactly a profession devoid of strong personalities. He's probably not a saint, but then neither are the guys in most bands.

The whole Matt is a jerk thing seems founded as far as I can tell in two things:

1. That he was honest and candid about his groupie activities. If we're going to damn him for that we can say goodbye to almost all bands - they almost all did crazy shit - he was just honest enough to answer the question.

2. The VR doco where duff called him negative about the non-famous singers who auditioned for them. Sure he was a little headstrong on the day they filmed that audition - but then the GNR boys making a comback project like VR was a fairly important issue - and realistically I think he turned out to be right that scott was the best choice and that coming out with an unknown singer was much less of a good idea than the superground approach they took.

By comparison - no one is calling Slash and ashole for rejecting the VR album they recorded with Corey Taylor. But Matt is the devil because he didn't like some no-name singers they got out of an add in the paper.

monkeychow wrote:

it has two keyboard players (really the second and third when you consider Axl can also play piano quite well)

AtariLegend wrote:

This is the same thing, except the Chinese material which they aren't dropping anytime soon requires it.

There's only a handful of Chinese tracks in the set though. Although I'd like them to stay as I love them.  But most of what Melissa and Pitman do seems to be triggering pre-recorded samples and loops. Don't think it's really anything that couldn't be outsourced to Dizzy most of the time. That said I'm not campaigning for her to be out - but she's a luxury not really needed - so we might as well have some more like extra drummers.

jarmo isn't at every show and there's nothing to indicate he's getting paid £70,000 a year or whatever to attend shows.

Well he used to be at all shows - has it changed? I know they shipped him out to Australia for the past couple of tours where his job seemed to be checking off the meet and greet list, and taking photos of the band on stage.

What does it cost to ship him and all the other hangers on around for this kind of stuff? To run multiple transport options so Axl and his crew of brazillians can be in different rooms from the other people.

I don't have a problem with any of it, I'm just saying a production of this scale carts around tons of equipment and crap and multiple staff on the payroll, a lot of which is probably slightly unnecessary if times were actually tough....but they're not because it's big business!

So it seems odd that suddenly when I suggest bringing Matt for a handful of songs it's financially impossible.

If you mean Katarina Benzova who does those black/white photos for the tours, press releases and the website... she works for several bands like the Stones/Aerosmith/Kiss ect. She's not exactly just a friend.

No I mean Jarmo.

I don't know about this tour but the previous tours he was rewarded for his years of propoganda pushing and anti-slash censorship on HTGTH by being made an offical 'photographer' and traveling the world.

Again I'm fine with it - but if we have to cut costs - it's people like that which we can do without.

johndivney wrote:

Been saying it for years, admittedly half-jokingly most of the time, but they should bring the guns family together under one big parliament/funkadelic umbrella. Put bucket/Tommy/Bbf on one of the opening slots, bring out the cast for the full show. Well maybe not Bbf but you know what I'm getting at.

Except Finck & ashba. Could do without them handy enough. Mother goose too.
The rest tho, why the hell not? Not enough canoli's to go round atm after the fat man n duffer & slash get their share, but maybe once they've had their fill of this reunion run. Some time in the not too distant future. I think we'd all like to see bucket & slash on stage together.. Sorum & popcorn & the other guys too..??

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah....in a world where Slash nails the TIL solo and Axl is rehersing Slither it's not as zainy an idea as it sounds on face value....

Imagine the epic set you could do with all the guest performers and stuff.....the main event could be the current band or whatever...but I'd love it if they bust out all these characters for the occasional song...or let them do stuff as warm ups acts and so on.

It would be so good.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Yeah, I've often thought it'd be fun if they did a show with, say, Buckethead as the opening act. Or Tommy.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Props to Steven for that nod. I was against it before, but, dude is really happy. I think it should be only a guest spot.

As for the Matt hatred, I am not trying to start a war with you Monkey. I get you have that position. And I respect that.

Yes, the band has a lot of money for this tour (not enough it seems to not be cheap fucks and make their shirts in the USA (can use American Apparel).

But there is no need for Matt on this tour.

Besides the hardcores no one cares about him.

As for BBF or Tommy opening, yeah that is a pipe dream. And the only way Tommy would likely open is if there were two openers and he was the first but even then... The only other option is if you know the Replacements opened for Guns. Not going to happen as a solo artist.

Buckethead is an established brand, but again. I don't see them having him open unless he was the first artist in a two band opening. It might be too weird for the crowd. And the majority of people don't know who he is and understand the Guns N' Roses reference.

Back to Matt, Duff has said he is negative. DUFF. And he is like the peaceful bridge between people.

Matt might have played on UYI and TSI, but he has no writing credits that is a fact. He isn't needed. If they want guests they'll give happy go lucky Steven the spot like Izzy styles back from 2006 onwards.

Also, Matt would likely fuck with the nice peacefulness in the band. That potential negative energy isn't good in a band that just reunited, and are establishing renewed relationships.

Now if you think Matt, is not negative and a saint, then why hasn't he guested? Also, why has he not been involved in many projects with Slash / Duff post: Velvet Revolver?

To me now this is speculation, any interaction with by Duff and Slash is like at Christmas time when you are forced to see a relative you don't care to have any formal relationship with.

It is ego and attitude.

If I was Guns N' Roses manager I definitely would not want that on the tour.

Also, it takes a shit on Frank who has had the gig since Brain left. There is some loyalty afforded to a guy who has filled in well and has been a good soldier for you.

He ain't going to be pushed aside because a minority of fans know / care about not even an original drummer in the band named: Matt Sorum.

To conclude, I ain't changing my tune on MS. And if he guests I would be highly disappointed. However, I doubt he will be involved.

If he was offered a spot I assume he declined as it wouldn't be enough dough / time in the limelight.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Props to Steven for that nod. I was against it before, but, dude is really happy. I think it should be only a guest spot.

As for the Matt hatred, I am not trying to start a war with you Monkey. I get you have that position. And I respect that.

Yes, the band has a lot of money for this tour (not enough it seems to not be cheap fucks and make their shirts in the USA (can use American Apparel).

But there is no need for Matt on this tour.

Besides the hardcores no one cares about him.

As for BBF or Tommy opening, yeah that is a pipe dream. And the only way Tommy would likely open is if there were two openers and he was the first but even then... The only other option is if you know the Replacements opened for Guns. Not going to happen as a solo artist.

Buckethead is an established brand, but again. I don't see them having him open unless he was the first artist in a two band opening. It might be too weird for the crowd. And the majority of people don't know who he is and understand the Guns N' Roses reference.

Back to Matt, Duff has said he is negative. DUFF. And he is like the peaceful bridge between people.

Matt might have played on UYI and TSI, but he has no writing credits that is a fact. He isn't needed. If they want guests they'll give happy go lucky Steven the spot like Izzy styles back from 2006 onwards.

Also, Matt would likely fuck with the nice peacefulness in the band. That potential negative energy isn't good in a band that just reunited, and are establishing renewed relationships.

Now if you think Matt, is not negative and a saint, then why hasn't he guested? Also, why has he not been involved in many projects with Slash / Duff post: Velvet Revolver?

To me now this is speculation, any interaction with by Duff and Slash is like at Christmas time when you are forced to see a relative you don't care to have any formal relationship with.

It is ego and attitude.

If I was Guns N' Roses manager I definitely would not want that on the tour.

Also, it takes a shit on Frank who has had the gig since Brain left. There is some loyalty afforded to a guy who has filled in well and has been a good soldier for you.

He ain't going to be pushed aside because a minority of fans know / care about not even an original drummer in the band named: Matt Sorum.

To conclude, I ain't changing my tune on MS. And if he guests I would be highly disappointed. However, I doubt he will be involved.

If he was offered a spot I assume he declined as it wouldn't be enough dough / time in the limelight.

From a musical prespective only Matt is 50 times the drummer Frank could ever dream of being. This isn't some opinion, just pull out a metronome and do a comparison. Frank is on average bar band level and is the weak spot of the band. It is obvious to everyone. It doesn't bother me, it is what it is.  Adler too is superior from pure chops.

What Frank does bring however is no drama... Seems like a great dude and puts off good vibes and that is worth something.

Board footer