You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Axl and Buckethead/Robin?

Ragnar wrote:

Release everything that was recorded with Finck/Bucket as a box set and move on with Slash and Richard, they`re too good not to record new music. Axl has best guitar duo right now, I hope he won`t fuck it up this time and we`ll get an album soon.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Release everything that was recorded with Finck/Bucket as a box set and move on with Slash and Richard, they`re too good not to record new music. Axl has best guitar duo right now, I hope he won`t fuck it up this time and we`ll get an album soon.

I hope so too.

But I think Axl's creative process is too vexed for him to sacrifice songs to hardcores only boxset like a Fink/Bucket collection of 99/02 unreleased songswould be.

Given how tortured the album process seems to be for him, if he has stuff semi-finished from 200x era that is otherwise good to go it might make more sense to just use his vocals and let Slash/Duff do what they did with the live version of Better and TIL etc

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Double album would work for me.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I`m for erasing Buckethead`s parts because a) he left 12 years ago and b) it will be an absolute mess if Slash`s solos are pasted on top of Bucket`s. No need to bury songs beneath ten guitars. Cohesiveness is necessary.

Agree with this.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But I think Axl's creative process is too vexed for him to sacrifice songs to hardcores only boxset like a Fink/Bucket collection of 99/02 unreleased songswould be.

Yes, I doubt it for these reasons too.

The record company probably would be completely against it as well. GN'R at the height of their popularity couldn't pull off the double album thing. Nor could The Beatles.

Honestly, I think we get a VBO 2016, AFD 30 2017, and maybe possibly a new album 2018 the way things are going.

This is all the opposite of what they should do of course.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the debate matters not if cd featured the best of the new guns contributions.
there is no need for axl to pay homage to buckethead on a bunch of leftover songs - respect and inclusion was all over cd 1.

having said that, we got an album that was tinkered and rerecorded to death - i wouldnt ask for more of that, for the sake of adding slash.

best case scenarios in my opinion are:

1 - (realistic) rerecording/remix of cd with slash and duff, including a few new tracks  and a dvd of current tour and whatever they want to add into a box set.

or

2 - (best artistic result) a brand new album using whatever they want to use but only featuring unheard tracks and completely recorded by slash, duff, axl, frank, etc.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

1 - (realistic) rerecording/remix of cd with slash and duff, including a few new tracks  and a dvd of current tour and whatever they want to add into a box set.

or

2 - (best artistic result) a brand new album using whatever they want to use but only featuring unheard tracks and completely recorded by slash, duff, axl, frank, etc.

I'll take any new tracks I can get, but I sincerely hope they have the artistic integrity not to go for option 1.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

or

I'll take any new tracks I can get, but I sincerely hope they have the artistic integrity not to go for option 1.

if they took the cores of cd songs and rerecorded....... the production and mixing alone, which we all agree is less than perfect, would be better. not to mention songs like catcher that slash could drastically improve the solos for.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I consider re-recording CD very unlikely for both financial and creative reasons.

As far as new music, if I'm the record company, I want CD II out there. This is their best shot of making the most money off of that material. Axl kicking the bucket will re-spark a love for his work (sorry for being grim) so (1) the better the more work there is to discover and (2) box sets only cater to a smaller section of your audience. 

Even if CD II is absolute garbage, which I doubt, riding a wave of nostalgia and good vibes from this tour will mean it sells well given at least an adequate level of promotion. If it fails, even with promotion, which I doubt, then they can say, well Axl, we gave it our God's honest best shot. Now get to recording new music with this Slash and Duff and you know maybe call Izzy, otherwise we're not releasing jack shit.

I would consider this scenario about as likely as CD being re-recorded but I've thought about Axl sidestepping the politics of the GNR name, and releasing CD II with a new band. If he is truly repentant maybe Herr Bucket or Rob i n would grant him penance. Leave me my fantasy, please.

But really what's going to happen is an unperturbed nostalgia tour until mid 2017 before new music is likely even considered. #cynical

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I consider re-recording CD very unlikely for both financial and creative reasons.l

I consider this a possibility:

1. 2016 -  A New Greatest Hits Release - this could include new mixes of 2-3 Chinese Democracy with Slash and Duff replacing existing parts.

2. 2017 -  AFD 30th Anniversary Remaster in 2017, possibly with a bonus edition with rare tracks (Demos/Shadow of Your Love etc)

3. 2018 - At the conclusion of the global tour a Bluray/DVD of the reunion show.

4. 2019 - Recording + Development of New Stuff + Re-recording of CD2 etc

5.2020 - Something actually new.

Board footer