You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Axl and Buckethead/Robin?

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I consider this a possibility:

I don't think Axl would re-record them. He is a man of loyalty and honor. And wouldn't the record company have to pay add'l royalties if they did?

Anyway, I think a VBO in 2016 and AFD30 in 2017 are likely although if they wait until 2018, let alone 2020 to release new stuff, no one is going to take them seriously. They'll be in the Stones, AC/DC echelon of record is an excuse to tour crowd.

It should be a monsoon of GN'R the next couple of years.

It call comes down to if Axl still has the nerve.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I don't think Axl would re-record them. He is a man of loyalty and honor.

I don't see that re-recording them would make him disloyal or dishonourable.

Chinese Democracy as a project was always a quest to achieve Axl's vision for the songs using the abilities and talents of those around him. Over the years the songs went through dozens of versions.

Some of this involved stuff like Bucket replacing Robin in passages, Bumble replacing Bucket, Richard replacing Huge, and all kinds of cutting and pasting and blending of parts. Hell Robin's version of TIL may well have been a re-record of Slash given the song was written years before Slash left.

Was it dishonourable to deliver the 2008 album as reworked from the 1999 versions.

Although others talents are used, at the end of the day it's Axl's project and it's up to him to determine when something is done and what changes might improve it.

That he released a version in 2008 shouldn't stop him making revisions if he felt like it.

Secondly, even if it was a bad thing to do, it clearly hasn't stopped him before, why is there a DJ Ashba remix of Better? Why Is there a Robin fink version of Sweet Child Of Mine?

And wouldn't the record company have to pay add'l royalties if they did?

Not really, the label pays the same per track, it's more about how that amount would then be divided up differently amongst the band.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Good points.

I always saw the re-recorded AFD partly as a way for Axl to chase away Slash's ghost in his head. Clearing the space. It seems less psychological with the new guys

It's a little bit different with replacing Bucket on SR Scraped etc, I mean I wasn't a fan of that, thought it detracted from the flow of the songs. The album wasn't out yet though and it's not exactly replacing the TWAT solo.

I suppose anything can happen. I wouldn't care for it and would prefer they just focus on the new or old new.

Who knows though!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

All of this depends of whether Axl will ever be brave enough to branch out and have a solo career. Call it "AXL" and go out there and play clubs and theaters, maybe open for groups like Aerosmith or Def Leppard, and be willing to grind it out to sell a solo record.

With AC/DC now in Axl's back pocket, and Angus looking like he wants to reboot the entire brand with him on lead vocals and push it another 10 years past its expiration date, I don't see Axl needing a solo career at this juncture.

So in other words, I think the Robin/Bucket-era has "flown the coop" so to speak.

Axl can branch out and do straight-forward rock with low expectations with AC/DC, and he can come home to HIS band Guns N' Roses, and do GN'R tracks with his flavor. His Slash & Duff are there, but Dizzy Reed & Melissa Reese are also there, and can branch into the more broad spectrum, IF, he wants it.

I'd be utterly stunned if Axl had a third solo act going at some point, in addition to GN'R & AC/DC. Now if the AC/DC thing ended, then yes, the obvious move would be to see if Robin & Bucket along with say Paul Tobias & Tommy Stinson & Brain & Pitman would want to tour with him as AXL and push his industrial rock/avant-garde type stuff.

I just don't see in the climate we're in today musically, Axl fronting 2/3 of the only stadium rock acts left in the business, willing to launch a solo career to play half-full amphitheaters. That's not even counting the state of his voice.

Axl & Slash are locks for GN'R going into the future. And if Axl or Slash quit/die, then it'd probably be over for good. They can definitely re-cast the band going forward from Duff up through the rest.

So I see no real reason for Axl to ever reunite with them. They are now a stadium act again, and Bucket would, again, be a disaster for them image-wise. Most of the casuals going to these shows don't even know the B-sides from UYI, let alone the Chinese saga.

But whatever happens would have to revolve around that dynamic, and if Slash is game, Axl can pretty much do whatever he would like solo-wise with the band he currently has.

Sad though... it was a snapshot in time... and like the anthology idea for Halloween III: Season of the Witch, it was lost, because everyone from top-to-bottom completely dropped the ball.

Board footer