You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Tim Palmer's two days on CD

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I can be critical of Axl but this straight up sounds like this producer just wasn't willing to work nights.

Oh please.

At no point is "fuck you, lose my pager number" a reasonable response.

And the "I work when I want and only when I want" philosophy worked wonders for Axl. roll

It might be a reasonable response if we knew more about other conversations. Like had Axl been pressured to see this producer in the first place? Had the producer only the night before been upbeat about the project and talking it up only to quit in the morning?

As I said I think the major problem since the 1990s was that Axl hides behind team brazil instead of dealing with people directly, but, this really seems like this guy quit because his personal circumstances (wife etc) couldn't handle working nights.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Why are we still letting this album haunt Axl??? So silly. Let's get the new shit with Slash and Duff and make this a "band" again.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It might be a reasonable response if we knew more about other conversations.

I don't agree.

What's more a realistic scenario: a professional producer coming in and being an asshole and rage quitting or Axl at the height of his megalomania being an unprofessional dick when someone gracefully quits the project after two days?

You know who else didn't want to work nights? Duff. The list of people who got tired of Axl's antics is fairly exhaustive at this point.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Why are we still letting this album haunt Axl??? So silly. Let's get the new shit with Slash and Duff and make this a "band" again.

Until the band dispenses with the Nixon administration approach to public relations and releases new music, that's not going to happen.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

" Fuck you lose my number " what a character. Dude is a Grade A dick 14

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

What's more a realistic scenario: a professional producer coming in and being an asshole and rage quitting or Axl at the height of his megalomania being an unprofessional dick when someone gracefully quits the project after two days?

You know who else didn't want to work nights? Duff. The list of people who got tired of Axl's antics is fairly exhaustive at this point.

I didn't say he rage quit. I said it's pretty obvious from his version of events that he just couldn't be bothered dealing with Axl's ways. Slash and Duff are founders and key talent within the band - they have a right to want to set the terms. This guy on the other hand is just a label producer - these blokes change with the fashions at the label - there's always another 'it' guy to get the sound they want.

I'm not saying Axl's not hard to work with, just sounds like this bloke didn't try too hard, basically quit on the first night.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Agreed...but the question is why is Axl letting it haunt him. They need a new single or something to put this shit to bed.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

If he didn't wanna do it why go down there in the first place...basically a waste of a day for all concerned

monkeychow wrote:

[Had Axl been pressured to see this producer in the first place?

Tim Palmer wrote:

The record company thought, 'OK, you can go in, work with Axl, do the vocals, mix it.'

Yup, Palmer was set on a mission.

monkeychow wrote:

[As I said I think the major problem since the 1990s was that Axl hides behind team brazil instead of dealing with people directly,

Tim Palmer wrote:

We weren't allowed to call, there was no phone calls, so everyone was given a BlackBerry. So I texted him.

I found it hilarious that they were all IM'ing Axl on BlackBerries. 16

monkeychow wrote:

this really seems like this guy quit because his personal circumstances (wife etc) couldn't handle working nights.

Up until the reality hit him, he seemed to have rapport with Axl.  Maybe Ax had gotten his hopes up already, that Palmer seemed like a nice guy, his photograph checked out with Yoda, he's going to do with Guns what he'd just done with U2...

After Ezrin, Axl was waiting for the hail-mary that would "fix" the album. He told Zutaut that he'd been in a rut for six months because of that. Here, I think, coalesced another problem. Axl and the record company people, if talking, were speaking different languages. People like Palmer came in with different notions than the likes of Sean Beavan, who was asked by a fellow NIN associate, Robin. The label people were a more mercenary in comparison, their job was to get the album out.

If only they'd gotten Palmer before Ezrin...

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Typical Axl. roll

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Me thinks Axl might have been willing to accommodate if from the beginning he had said "sorry, don't want to work nights with my wife pregnant". Axl's response shows how much he cared about him as a producer, he's absolutely fuming behind those words. That sense of betrayal that sets him off more than anything.

We got a good story out of it though. Vintage Axl.

Sky Dog wrote:

Smokin', I think the cd era is well behind us....now is the cash cow era. Good luck getting any new music from any new lineup.

Board footer