You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Lowest Selling #1 album ever coming in 2008?

Neemo wrote:

Week Ending Jan. 21, 2008: Keys Is #1 With 2nd Lowest Tally Ever
by Paul Grein

Alicia Keys' As I Am registered the second worst weekly sales tally for a #1 album since SoundScan began monitoring album sales in 1991. Keys' album sold 60,519 copies last week, just 455 more copies than the all-time bottom-dweller, the Dreamgirls soundtrack, which sold 60,064 copies in its second week on top one year ago.

Keys' album has sold 2,786,000 copies in just 10 weeks, a tremendous total by any measure. So it's a little unfair that her name will be dragged through the mud as this news is disseminated. But that's show biz.

It's also noteworthy that five of this week's top 10 CDs this week are R&B-oriented. Keys is joined by Mary J. Blige at #3, Raheem DeVaughn at #5, John Legend at #7 and Chris Brown at #9. (How they coordinated it so they'd occupy only the odd positions is beyond me!)

There's also news on the Hot Digital Tracks chart. "Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain logs its eighth week at #1, which puts it in a three-way tie for the most weeks at #1 on that chart since mid 2004, when the configuration really started to take off. The other tracks with eight weeks at #1 are Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" and Beyonce's "Irreplaceable."

"Low" registered 180,000 download purchases last week, which puts it far ahead of the #2 title, Chris Brown's "With You" (104,000 download purchases). So "Low" is likely to hold at #1 for at least another week or two. This is the fourth week in a row that the #1 digital track has registered more download sales than the #1 CD saw in total sales. (I've got a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot this year.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_ … tally-ever

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, in Alicia Keys defense it didn't debut this week, it's been out for 10 weeks. It's just nothing sold more than it, so she defaulted to #1. Still a telling story on the current states of cd sales.

AtariLegend wrote:

I checked out Billboard.com, and also in defense of album sales, there wasn't alot of competition, just Radiohead who's album basically came out months ago and a Mary J. Blige effort, there wasn't annything on that list that warrented great sales anyway.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/c … ive+Albums

Board footer