You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

Cramer wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I do, and I have plenty of times.

Gambler?

Cars, stocks, real estate...

Edit: Although I did win $580 on penny slots a couple of months ago. Two bucks in for the win!

Then why are you working?  Take $2k and turn it into 8 million.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree I thought Pence clearly won, and Kaine was an embarrassment. Too hot heated, too rude, too much interrupting like an annoying little kid interrupting his brother to tell Mom, he was bad.  I think the campaign probably made a mistake in sending him off into there onto the offensive, but he seemed to relish it?   Most people, once they saw Pence take it in stride, would've backed off for a while, then maybe nail him with a zinger at the end, but Kaine just persisted. 

And I agree about the scripted talking points. He didn't do a good job at all in answering the questions, he just kept attacking Payne on 3 or 4 bullet points over & over again, asking him to 'denounce Trump'. Pence handled himself well & was admirable in the debate. As close as he could have come, he hit the reset button on this. This is Trumps last shot at taking this thing seriously, and campaigning today as a modest, decent, business person willing to take DC by the horns & alter it for the better.  Other than that tho, it's Pence 2020 for the GOP.

Randall Flagg

I came out on Facebook that I'm voting for Clinton. My republican friends think I've lost my mind.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Put this in the weird category.

Gary Johnson's VP is gonna spend the rest of the election putting Donald Trump on blast. Looks like he wants to be part of a post-Trump GOP.

The Libertarian vice presidential candidate, William F. Weld, said Tuesday that he plans to focus exclusively on blasting Donald Trump over the next five weeks, a strategic pivot aimed at denying Trump the White House and giving himself a key role in helping to rebuild the GOP.

Weld’s comments in a Globe interview mark a major shift in his mission since he pledged at the Libertarian convention in May that he would remain a Libertarian for life and would do all he could to help elect his running mate, Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico.

But things have changed. Johnson has committed several high-profile gaffes in recent weeks that revealed apparent weak spots in his foreign-policy knowledge. Meanwhile, Trump had seemed to be surging back into contention after he fell well behind in the polls in early August.

While Weld insisted he still supports Johnson, he said he is now interested primarily in blocking Trump from winning the presidency and then potentially working with longtime Republican leaders such as Mitt Romney and Haley Barbour to create a new path for the party after the election.

“Maybe somebody is going to come up with a new playbook, and I don’t know who it’s going to be, but it would be fun to participate,” Weld said in a telephone interview from Atlanta, where he was holding a fund-raiser and rally and planned to watch and tweet about Tuesday night’s vice-presidential debate featuring his major-party rivals, Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican Mike Pence.

Weld, a former Republican governor of Massachusetts, said he is focusing on Trump because, while he disagrees with Hillary Clinton on fiscal and military issues, Trump’s agenda is so objectionable it’s “in a class by itself.”

“I think Mr. Trump’s proposals in the foreign policy area, including nuclear proliferation, tariffs, and free trade, would be so hurtful, domestically and in the world, that he has my full attention,” Weld said.

He insisted he was not abandoning Johnson, although he signaled that bolting from the Libertarian Party might be a possibility in the future.

“I’m certainly not going to drop them this year,” Weld said.

Weld’s comments seemed sure to reignite suspicions among Libertarians who have questioned his loyalty to the party and have accused him of using the ticket for his own political aims. But Weld’s decision to chart his own course appears to reflect the feeling among his aides, who have privately expressed dismay at Johnson’s flubs on national television, such as when Johnson could not come up with the name of a favorite foreign leader and when he said “What is Aleppo?” when asked about the besieged Syrian city.

Those missteps — in sharp contrast to Weld’s smoother command of foreign affairs — have created some tensions on the ticket. Adding to the conflict are the accolades Weld has recieved from national political commentators who have dubbed him the more substantial and serious candidate, while ridiculing Johnson as a lightweight.

“Unfortunately, if the ticket was flipped, they might have more success,” said Bob Durand, a Weld ally and former Democratic state senator who donated $1,000 to the Libertarian ticket.

At one point, Weld strategists researched Libertarian Party rules to see if it were possible for him to take over the top of the ticket. The rules state the vice presidential nominee automatically assumes the presidential spot if there is a vacancy. But Johnson, peeved at the suggestion, flatly rejected the idea.

Weld insisted he and Johnson remain “happy warriors” and said Johnson is fully supportive of his anti-Trump campaign.

“I have had in mind all along trying to get the Donald into third place, and with some tugging and hauling, we might get there,” Weld said.

Weld has been much more critical of Trump than of Clinton, whom he has known since the 1970s, when they were young lawyers working for the House committee that investigated President Richard Nixon.

Just last week, for example, Weld irked Johnson supporters when he said on MSNBC that he’s “not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president of the United States.”

Weld, meanwhile, has denounced Trump as a “huckster” with a “screw loose” and has said his plan to deport 11 million illegal immigrants “would remind me of Anne Frank hiding in the attic.”

Weld’s new plan calls for him to focus his fire on Trump in a handful of red states — as well as in at least one swing state, New Hampshire — where the Libertarians are running strong. Nationally, the ticket is drawing about 7 percent support.

Polls show that Johnson and Weld — who were initially thought to appeal mostly to anti-Trump Republicans — may be doing more damage to Clinton by siphoning away young voters.

“That’s obviously a concern,” said Mark Robinson, Weld’s friend, former chief of staff, and colleague at the Boston law firm Mintz Levin. “He certainly doesn’t want to be in that position where Trump could win and people would be blaming him.”

Robinson said it would make sense for Weld to step up his criticism of Trump, particularly after Weld failed to clear the 15 percent polling margin needed to qualify for the debates.

“He’s got to push his message out with more urgency and even more bellicosity than he has before,” Robinson said. “There’s no shortage of material to attack Donald Trump.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politi … story.html

I personally don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Gary Johnson drops out and tells his voters to pull the lever for Hillary. At the very least, he's self-sabotaging himself with all his gaffes in the past week so people stop taking him seriously, like I did.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I came out on Facebook that I'm voting for Clinton. My republican friends think I've lost my mind.

What state are you in?

I'm not in a swing state (Illinois), so my vote won't make much of a difference. That's why I was going to vote for Gary Johnson, but he ruined that.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

What state are you in?

I'm not in a swing state (Illinois), so my vote won't make much of a difference. That's why I was going to vote for Gary Johnson, but he ruined that.

Ohio. smile

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

What state are you in?

Ohio. smile

Oh, shit ....

Ohio is gonna be fun to watch election night. Likely will start out leaning heavily Clinton, but as the central and western part of the state checks in, it'll go Trump, then Cincinnati will be heavily Clinton again. Might depend a lot on turnout, especially from students at Ohio's many campuses. Pretty huge student population in Ohio.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Oh my...me thinks you're going to regret that when Clinton turns out to be just as bad as Obama, probably worse.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Oh my...me thinks you're going to regret that when Clinton turns out to be just as bad as Obama, probably worse.

She should be able to work with Republicans, whom she's worked with before, and she's not black, so they won't automatically hate her. In fact, many have endorsed her, so the relationship between the president and and Congress is not going to be nearly as bad. Besides, the polls again are swinging back toward the Democrats taking the Senate, so she'll at least have one lawmaking body on her side. 

I actually think you'll see far more shit get done. And I think Hillary will push for changes to Obamacare, which should absolutely delight the GOP House.

Also, since Trump is not a member of Congress, he won't be hanging around to make things difficult for her, nor will Mike Pence, whom his own state citizens don't like.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

She should be able to work with Republicans, whom she's worked with before, and she's not black, so they won't automatically hate her. In fact, many have endorsed her, so the relationship between the president and and Congress is not going to be nearly as bad. Besides, the polls again are swinging back toward the Democrats taking the Senate, so she'll at least have one lawmaking body on her side. 

I actually think you'll see far more shit get done. And I think Hillary will push for changes to Obamacare, which should absolutely delight the GOP House.

Also, since Trump is not a member of Congress, he won't be hanging around to make things difficult for her, nor will Mike Pence, whom his own state citizens don't like.

That's what I'm worried about. Continuing to implement the global society will not turn out well for the common man.

If Hillary has any personal vision, which I sincerely doubt, I think it could be even worse.

Board footer