You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Pelosi is doing good if you just like resistance.  But with all the lives it is affecting I would have made a deal and move on. But she has to do touch to satisfy the Ocasio Cortez type folks.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pelosi is doing good if you just like resistance.  But with all the lives it is affecting I would have made a deal and move on. But she has to do touch to satisfy the Ocasio Cortez type folks.

Where was that attitude when Obama was trying to solve immigration issues? How many times did y’all shutdown the government when Obama was in office?

Your advice is that the Dems just cave and move on? Please....this couldn’t possibly be influenced by your support of the wall could it?

Why did Trump wait til Dems took the House to make this such an issue? I’ve always thought this whole shutdown was just happening to a) distract the public from mueller b) attempt to make the Dems look weak now that they had control of a part of Congress.

Trump has only 2-3 options left.

1) declare the federal emergency (i truly think that’s how this will end) - it will make him look strong and authoritative and he won’t have to make a single concession

2) some form of backing down and picking a fight another day.

Either way....you can’t expect people that you’ve villianized and treated poorly for the past few years to be terribly eager to work with you.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Roger Stone taken into custody!!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Nope. 100% wrong on this. This is Trumps shutdown, and the onus is & always has been on him to stop it, not Pelosi. Our governement doesn't work this way. A President doesn't shut down the government & demand what they want?  Has it even ever happened this way before?

There've been times where I felt, well the Dems should just cave on this, and she hasn't, and now she's rubbing his, Pence's, and Sarah Hucks faces in it with embarassment.

They're not going to cave, Trump lost. It's over. Trump will give up & lose this outright. No negotiation. None, It's over.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Roger Stone taken into custody!!

Treason. Absolute treason. And Kushner or Jr are tied up in it as 'A senior campaign official'

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Nope. 100% wrong on this. This is Trumps shutdown, and the onus is & always has been on him to stop it, not Pelosi. Our governement doesn't work this way. A President doesn't shut down the government & demand what they want?  Has it even ever happened this way before?

There've been times where I felt, well the Dems should just cave on this, and she hasn't, and now she's rubbing his, Pence's, and Sarah Hucks faces in it with embarassment.

They're not going to cave, Trump lost. It's over. Trump will give up & lose this outright. No negotiation. None, It's over.

You don’t believe trump will use a ‘national emergency’ to get out of looking weak? I am seriously considering that the most likely ending lately.

If trump truly has lost, do you think he knows that? So far it appears he’s content to wait it out. Probably because he’s not directly affected....

I agree with your assertion that trump has lost this and he’s out of moves except the one I’ve just suggested above...

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You don’t believe trump will use a ‘national emergency’ to get out of looking weak? I am seriously considering that the most likely ending lately.

Well, you're totally right that he'll do that, but it won't fly over well. Either it dies in the courts, or he pushes it thru & the public sentiment is that he's an awful president with his commerce secretary saying 'Take out a loan' & Trump saying 'Grocery stores will give you credit. That's how they work'.

Fucking moron.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am saying if Trump does the national emergency to show Pelosi who is boss what did Pelosi get? She should have taken the dreamer deal he offered a year ago. This is mainly about them hating Trump. It really is. 5 billion is so small compared the 25 billion he wanted. It is pennies when you think about all our other waste. Even other Dems are saying walls in some areas are needed. But Nancy took the approach that a wall is immoral. She could walk that back I guess but to me she is having to satisfy her new fellow house members.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am saying if Trump does the national emergency to show Pelosi who is boss what did Pelosi get? She should have taken the dreamer deal he offered a year ago. This is mainly about them hating Trump. It really is. 5 billion is so small compared the 25 billion he wanted. It is pennies when you think about all our other waste. Even other Dems are saying walls in some areas are needed. But Nancy took the approach that a wall is immoral. She could walk that back I guess but to me she is having to satisfy her new fellow house members.

If Pelosi is representing me, she’s doing exactly what I’d want her to do....you can’t hold the federal government hostage to get what you want...and Trump behaving like a bully to get what he wants. You cannot negotiate with him in this capacity...he’s not come to the table in good faith here. In addition, i wouldn’t trust him in any deal...he will just find a way to go back on it later. He’s done nothing to earn Pelosi’s trust.

I really want you to consider this SG...he could have done this much easier the last two years. He’s choosing now to address it and he’s choosing to address it in this way. This is about Trump vs. Democrats...it’s about power plays and trumps insistence in being perceived as the Boss.

He could go through the proper channels and get a funding bill through Congress the old fashioned way. That’s what we did with Obamacare and virtually everything else.

Trump has to know he’s losing this...the last substantive move he made was to shutdown the government. That was a month ago...now he’s waiting the Dems out as though he’s not taking the majority of the blame from the American people.

This is the problem with not chessing things out. The wall is unpopular, Trump is unpopular.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I really want you to consider this SG...he could have done this much easier the last two years. He’s choosing now to address it and he’s choosing to address it in this way. This is about Trump vs. Democrats...it’s about power plays and trumps insistence in being perceived as the Boss.

I have two thoughts on this. One, I think Trump & the GOP want it to NOT become a 2020 sticking point, Trumps failed Wall promise. So he wanted to hardball Dems into voting FOR it, so that they couldn't make it a talking point.

Secondly however, I think Paul Ryan might've pulled a major Montreal Screw Job by never passing it, and then skipping town without telling him it never went thru, and Trump asking about it sometime in December "Hey so what's up with my wall?" and Ryan just saying, well, we never put thru funding on it. SOL.

There was a report about a book from a WH aide saying Trump was beligerent to Ryan, and that Ryan pretty much hated him. Makes sense as to Ryan leaving politics altogether. I'm sure he gets a cushy job on the outside, so it's not much of a risk.

Board footer