You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

Everyone is saying Warren lost. MSNBC hammered her pretty good. I mean, Warren is a fraud. No way around it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Everyone is saying Warren lost. MSNBC hammered her pretty good. I mean, Warren is a fraud. No way around it.

Yea, her pregnancy story is bullshit and it's sad to see CNN and others bend over backwards to try to make it not an outright lie based on the actual evidence and her past interviews.  This is someone who claimed to be Native American, listed herself as such on her Texas Bar and was celebrated at Harvard for being so, but we're supposed to believe none of that factored into her career. It just makes it that much harder to support outrage at Trump for being misleading about shit like crowd size or amount of wall built, when people turn a blind eye to this.  To say nothing of her repeated refusal to acknowledge her health care plan will significantly raise taxes on the middle class (and how having medicare for all would close hundreds if not thousands of hospitals across the country).

I liked Gabbard and Klobuchar, but I don't think there's any chance of them winning the primary.  Sanders was endorsed by the Squad today, so we'll see if that gives him a bump as it looks like Warren is stealing his thunder.  Castro, Harris and Booker need to just bow out now.  O'Rourke is a bigger fraud than any of them.  I like Buttigieg, and Yang, but they have virtually no chance of getting a win in any early state.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I agree with all of that, but Amy and Pete would be wise to combine her campaign.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I really think Syria is going to end Trump's presidency

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

I really think Syria is going to end Trump's presidency

Why?  I’ve thought about this topic a lot over the past week. I don’t understand how this isn’t the right move. ISIS is defeated. They don’t hold any territory or have any influence. As Assad sent his Army to defend the Kurds against Turkish aggression, and the Turks seem interested if not in controlling the territory, disarming it, ISIS isn’t going to be gaining a stronghold there. We’re deploying troops to Iraq that can respond if ISIS were to try to regroup around Mosul.

The goal of defeating ISIS is accomplished. We’ve already turned Iraq back over to its government, and regime change was never policy in Syria.

This begs the question of should Turkey be in NATO and should we house 50 nukes there. Fair questions,  but it’s Trump who’s been leaning in that direction, not Democrats. Democrats were against strikes and action in Syria. Ending our active engagements there isn’t something they can be upset about. And Trump campaigned on quick strikes and avoiding occupations. The whole “Don’t tell them what we’re gonna do before we do it” logic that was mocked by Clinton supporters.

Russia cements its foothold in Syria. Ok?  Are we trying to start an armed conflict with Russia or aren’t we?  I know more about force projection than most. Our fleets in the Mediterranean and Arab peninsula combined with bases in the Persian Gulf are ample deterrence for fuckery in the region. But Russia being allied with Assad is the status quo, so what’s changing here?

At what point were we going to leave. I understand the optics of “abandoning” the Kurds, but I’ll ask again, when was the right time to go?  Is it going to be the policy of the US to support the creation of Kurdistan?  And how much money and troops are we spending to achieve this?

Instead of doing Iraq or Korea 2.0, we got out after ISIS was handled. I don’t support a humanitarian mission to imprison thousands of nationless jihadis.

I’m still trying to figure out who’s offended by this politically. Democrats didn’t want a war, and Republicans wanted to slaughter ISIS. The Neo-con foreign policy agenda finally died with Bolton.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

We had 50 troops remaining in Syria. 50!!

You know how many we have in Japan?   39,000
You know how many we have in Germany?  34,000
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/u-s-mi … s-country/

Surely keeping 50 troops around to prevent death was worthwhile.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

We had 50 troops remaining in Syria. 50!!

You know how many we have in Japan?   39,000
You know how many we have in Germany?  34,000
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/u-s-mi … s-country/

Surely keeping 50 troops around to prevent death was worthwhile.

Do you know why we have sizeable forces in Germany, Italy, Japan and South Korea? It’s almost as if they’re in close proximity to the land and sea territories of our two largest foes.

Again, what is the objective in Syria?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Not only does he look erratic and weak, he's going against his own attack against Obama. Even if ISIS doesn't come back, what will be the next ISIS? Putin just ate his lunch. There's no putting the toothpaste back in.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Again, what is the objective in Syria?

50 people to prevent mass slaughter, women & children being killed at roadside, and two very large countries going at it in war, 50 troops seems worth it.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Not only does he look erratic and weak, he's going against his own attack against Obama. Even if ISIS doesn't come back, what will be the next ISIS? Putin just ate his lunch. There's no putting the toothpaste back in.

Watch Defense Secretary Mark Esper's explaination, literally, he says "We ran away scared"  Basically he says 50 people wasn't enough to stop a war with Turkey so we pulled our troops out.  F'ing idiot. Did HW Bush run away when Iraq invaded Kuwait. F no, he bombed the heck outta Iraq, kicked them out & told them do not enter again!

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60945002920 … show-clips

Running away scared. Ha!

Board footer