You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
faldor wrote:
bigbri wrote:

One of the first things Donald Trump should do is try to get marijuana and all drugs legalized across the country and end the ridiculous war on drugs. Then, regulate them.

I'm serious. You kill a lot of problems doing it. Think of the revenue stream, for one. And you decrease the prison population, which strains taxpayers.  You also don't turn an entire generation of young drug users into criminals. Plus, it would fuck with Mexico's drug cartels.

It's a win all around. Can't believe it has never happened.

It's why I supported Gary Johnson. He leans this direction but doesn't go as far as what I described above.

I absolutely agree with you there. Not sure it'll happen. Lots of people still have it in their minds that marijuana is this evil illegal drug, so I'm not sure it'd be such an easy thing to do. But I don't really see the downside. People who want to smoke pot are going to smoke it whether it's legal or not, might as well capitalize on it.

I'm not just talking pot, man. All drugs. The war on drugs might be the biggest mistake a president has made in quite some time.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

What is their to learn? You act as though the Republican Party has reinvented itself.

You're not even trying to learn from this. Step back. You seem to think you're really smart. Prove it. There's something to learn from everything.

Alright, this is my attempt. You have to understand that emotions are running high right now and I acknowledge that I am saturated with these emotions.

I get that.  It's probably less emotional for me as I didn't like either candidate...I was more fascinated by the whole thing from a sociology point of view. 

At the same time, I do believe in democracy and if that means Trump is president, then I accept it. Even if it means I am in the minority for the foreseeable future. I still believe in my values and I will not be swayed in one direction or the other because of the results of the election. Again, I accept my role as being a representative of the minority and I accept all of the things that go along with being in the minority.

I have never been critical of our "2-party system" in the context that in all honestly, in a perfect world, it's the things that we do together in the 2 party system that result in the best outcomes for everyone. And in all honesty, that is what I want. I do not want anyone to suffer. I want to believe that Republicans have my personal best interests at heart, as well as the group of us that we call United States' citizens as a whole. I'm skeptical.

The reason I voted for Johnson besides a strong dislike for both candidates is that I wanted a 3rd party to get 5% of the vote so they could get federal funding.  I think if/when that happens, it will force them to work together, which is when things get done that benefit everyone.  Compromise.  It felt like when I was a kid they worked together for 3 years and then the year of the election would be more combative.  It hasn't been that way in some times.  They are campaigning/grandstanding every day of every year.  Nothing gets done that benefits everyone when that happens.

I do want to personally apologize to Randall Flagg. I once wrote in this thread that "he had contributed nothing" to this country without really having known him. I couldn't be more incorrect. I apologize for letting the heat of the moment and my emotions  to get the best of me. Right now, you and SG and a few others on this thread have your fingers on the pulse of something that escapes at the moment. That matters and it should be acknowledged.

Allow me to be self-indulgent for a moment. I am a business owner. I am responsible for a modest sized group of people who make me look good on a daily basis. I am responsible for federal and state unemployment payments, liability insurance, health insurance for some, mileage reimbursements....and all sorts of other obligations that I not only take very seriously, I also have nothing but gratitude for the fact that I am in the position that I am...

In the end, I still believe in what I believe in....and I will still fight for the things that I believe in...I think someone in this thread asked me once if there was anything I thought was worth fighting for....I have/am/will fight for a single mom of 3 who raised me, my brother and my sister on a minimum wage job. It's not so much for her, but for the future mitchejws. We would not have made it without food stamps and medicaid. And if it matters, my mother was so ashamed to have to apply for and use food stamps. But by no fault of my own or anyone else's my father decided to abandon us and leave us to fend for ourselves. That's something worth fighting for...and it was government that saved us on more than one occasion. These are programs that so many conservatives loath.

I was on food stamps occasionally as a kid.  I am all for supporting those that genuinely need support when they need the support.  What it shouldn't be though is a way of life or an excuse not to work.  You should be required to do some sort of work to earn your support if you are physically capable of doing so.  Even if it's cleaning gov't buildings, some sort of job training...anything instead of just getting a handout.  I promise if people have to work anyway, they will go get a job and come out ahead instead of getting by with doing nothing.  Sure, there are some Republicans that want to end those programs completely, but most just want reform.  The challenge is how to reform it.  There are no easy answers, but I do think if the sides work together they can come up with something that will work.

I'll leave you with this....the outlet that this board gives me on so many topics has been incredibly important to me over the years. It's hard to believe that I only know you all by your screen names. I can count on one hand the number of friends I have in "real" life. I keep coming back here for a reason. I am thankful for this place.

I think a lot of us agree on this, and despite our differences I really enjoy the discussion.  It's good to get an understanding of what others think and why they think that way.  I'm not the douche that I can act like on here.  I'm pretty laid back actually and an introvert.  The couple people I have met on here (SG and Otto...maybe a few others that don't post much anymore in Vegas) will hopefully tell you I'm a good guy.  This is just a release for me and sometimes that comes across as more douchey than I intend it to...and if you're a dick to me I will give it back.  Doesn't mean I hate you.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess...

But I'll tell you what....the Wasserman-Schultz/DNC/Clinton fiasco was an enormous self inflicted wound that perhaps wasn't given the attention it deserves.

At least the Republicans followed through with Donald Trump. The DNC manipulated things to make Hillary the winner of the primaries much to the chagrin of their own party.

Hey...was I edited/revised?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Can't believe your own words? 14

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess...

But I'll tell you what....the Wasserman-Schultz/DNC/Clinton fiasco was an enormous self inflicted wound that perhaps wasn't given the attention it deserves.

At least the Republicans followed through with Donald Trump. The DNC manipulated things to make Hillary the winner of the primaries much to the chagrin of their own party.

Hey...was I edited/revised?

I have met Buzzsaw twice. Good dude. smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

How about these protests tonight?  What a fucking joke.

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Must have something to do with all those wonderful things he said while campaigning.

Good thing it's just a few protests that will probably blow over, given Trump supporters were talking about fighting a civil war if Hillary won not too long back.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It's not a joke...these people have a right to be upset...popular vote and all...but I do agree it won't change anything.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're not even trying to learn from this. Step back. You seem to think you're really smart. Prove it. There's something to learn from everything.

Alright, this is my attempt. You have to understand that emotions are running high right now and I acknowledge that I am saturated with these emotions.

I get that.  It's probably less emotional for me as I didn't like either candidate...I was more fascinated by the whole thing from a sociology point of view. 

At the same time, I do believe in democracy and if that means Trump is president, then I accept it. Even if it means I am in the minority for the foreseeable future. I still believe in my values and I will not be swayed in one direction or the other because of the results of the election. Again, I accept my role as being a representative of the minority and I accept all of the things that go along with being in the minority.

I have never been critical of our "2-party system" in the context that in all honestly, in a perfect world, it's the things that we do together in the 2 party system that result in the best outcomes for everyone. And in all honesty, that is what I want. I do not want anyone to suffer. I want to believe that Republicans have my personal best interests at heart, as well as the group of us that we call United States' citizens as a whole. I'm skeptical.

The reason I voted for Johnson besides a strong dislike for both candidates is that I wanted a 3rd party to get 5% of the vote so they could get federal funding.  I think if/when that happens, it will force them to work together, which is when things get done that benefit everyone.  Compromise.  It felt like when I was a kid they worked together for 3 years and then the year of the election would be more combative.  It hasn't been that way in some times.  They are campaigning/grandstanding every day of every year.  Nothing gets done that benefits everyone when that happens.

I do want to personally apologize to Randall Flagg. I once wrote in this thread that "he had contributed nothing" to this country without really having known him. I couldn't be more incorrect. I apologize for letting the heat of the moment and my emotions  to get the best of me. Right now, you and SG and a few others on this thread have your fingers on the pulse of something that escapes at the moment. That matters and it should be acknowledged.

Allow me to be self-indulgent for a moment. I am a business owner. I am responsible for a modest sized group of people who make me look good on a daily basis. I am responsible for federal and state unemployment payments, liability insurance, health insurance for some, mileage reimbursements....and all sorts of other obligations that I not only take very seriously, I also have nothing but gratitude for the fact that I am in the position that I am...

In the end, I still believe in what I believe in....and I will still fight for the things that I believe in...I think someone in this thread asked me once if there was anything I thought was worth fighting for....I have/am/will fight for a single mom of 3 who raised me, my brother and my sister on a minimum wage job. It's not so much for her, but for the future mitchejws. We would not have made it without food stamps and medicaid. And if it matters, my mother was so ashamed to have to apply for and use food stamps. But by no fault of my own or anyone else's my father decided to abandon us and leave us to fend for ourselves. That's something worth fighting for...and it was government that saved us on more than one occasion. These are programs that so many conservatives loath.

I was on food stamps occasionally as a kid.  I am all for supporting those that genuinely need support when they need the support.  What it shouldn't be though is a way of life or an excuse not to work.  You should be required to do some sort of work to earn your support if you are physically capable of doing so.  Even if it's cleaning gov't buildings, some sort of job training...anything instead of just getting a handout.  I promise if people have to work anyway, they will go get a job and come out ahead instead of getting by with doing nothing.  Sure, there are some Republicans that want to end those programs completely, but most just want reform.  The challenge is how to reform it.  There are no easy answers, but I do think if the sides work together they can come up with something that will work.

I'll leave you with this....the outlet that this board gives me on so many topics has been incredibly important to me over the years. It's hard to believe that I only know you all by your screen names. I can count on one hand the number of friends I have in "real" life. I keep coming back here for a reason. I am thankful for this place.

I think a lot of us agree on this, and despite our differences I really enjoy the discussion.  It's good to get an understanding of what others think and why they think that way.  I'm not the douche that I can act like on here.  I'm pretty laid back actually and an introvert.  The couple people I have met on here (SG and Otto...maybe a few others that don't post much anymore in Vegas) will hopefully tell you I'm a good guy.  This is just a release for me and sometimes that comes across as more douchey than I intend it to...and if you're a dick to me I will give it back.  Doesn't mean I hate you.

I notice and appreciate the time you put into this...

That is always the trick isn't it? Well intended government programs being abused is something that nobody wants...but throwing out the baby with the bath water doesn't seem right either....

Thanks for the candid comments

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why is it a joke?

You guys talked about wanting to shake up the system. And you were right: Trump shook it up. This is part of that.

It's a constitutional right to assemble. Democracy can be ugly. I would never begrudge someone for exercising their rights as an American. Doesn't mean I agree or would do the same thing.

Board footer