You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Okay, he didn't lose any Trump supporters... That's good, I guess?

Realistically, he was close to losing a lot of them like a runaway train. He salvaged that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Gary Johnson live-tweeted during the debate last night, and I'm sorry I missed it.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/785315293174329344

Does he know where Aleppo is now? 16

Syria should be a much bigger topic. HIllary wants a no fly zone. Putin has warned us.

Are we  going to shoot down Russian planes?

That'll end well.....

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

How long until the next Trump tape drops? I think that will be the final blow. You know damn well something is out there and they are holding it.

Trump held his base but didn't win anybody else last night. It was the greatest hits from the comment section over at Drudge and that's it.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Cramer wrote:

How long until the next Trump tape drops? I think that will be the final blow. You know damn well something is out there and they are holding it.

My guess is that was it for both of em.  Julian Assange released his big bomb & so did the Clintons with their leak of the video.  The friday before the 2nd debate is likely the biggest day to make an impact. Unless someone hasn't informed anyone of what they're holding onto, and have something big, that's it.  My guess is the rest are just going to be smaller, copycat type things.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Hillary Clinton has opened up a double-digit lead on Donald Trump in a new poll conducted entirely after the release of video in which the Republican nominee talks about groping women without their consent.

The Democratic nominee also eclipsed the 50-percent margin in a head-to-head matchup. 

Clinton leads the GOP nominee 52 percent to 38 percent in the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted on Saturday and Sunday. In a four-way matchup, Clinton leads by 11 points, 46 percent to 35 percent, with Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson posting 9 percent.
During the last NBC/WSJ poll in September, Clinton led Trump by 7 points in the two-way race and 6 points in the four-way scenario.

Clinton's 14-point margin in the head-to-head and 11-point margin in the four way represent Clinton's largest lead since an August McClatchy/Marist poll. That poll was taken after Clinton's post-convention bounce and as Trump faced criticism over his comments about a Gold Star family.

The results come as Trump continues to face serious criticism from within his own party over the video, which was released Friday. More than two-dozen GOP lawmakers, including Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (S.D.), want him to step aside.

The polls had already been trending in Clinton's direction after a strong performance at the first presidential debate late last month.

While Republicans had hoped Trump could build on running mate Mike Pence's showing at his own debate last week, the fallout from the video has given Democrats new ammunition and threatens to further derail Trump's campaign.

Since it's only the first major poll released in the aftermath of those comments, it's unclear whether the NBC/WSJ results are indicative of a larger trend or not. But the large lead will likely prompt even more celebration from Democrats, and concern from Republicans.

The new poll also shows worrying results for the GOP’s efforts down-ballot, as 49 percent said they wanted Democrats to control Congress compared to 42 percent who wanted Republican control. Mark Murray, a the senior political editor at NBC News, tweeted that that margin is the highest since the 2013 government shutdown.

NBC and the WSJ surveyed 500 registered voters and the poll has a margin of error of between 4.4 and 4.6 percent depending on the sample.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre … es-release

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Cramer wrote:

My guess is that was it for both of em.  Julian Assange released his big bomb & so did the Clintons with their leak of the video.  The friday before the 2nd debate is likely the biggest day to make an impact. Unless someone hasn't informed anyone of what they're holding onto, and have something big, that's it.  My guess is the rest are just going to be smaller, copycat type things.

A transcript just came out from the Apprentice. Nothing too crazy, but as usual Trump talking about a female's looks, and how unhappy he is with her face/skin. I still think there will be more big bombs (N word tape), guess we'll see.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

annnnnnd no.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Prior to the town hall debate Sunday night, Donald Trump held a press conference featuring three women who have accused President Bill Clinton of sexual harassment, assault and other sexual improprieties.

It was a bizarre scene considering Trump himself confessed to being a harasser of women in a leaked video from 2005. The press conference became especially absurd when news outlets began relaying all of the horrible things Trump has said about these women in years past.

In a 1998 interview with Chris Matthews, for example, Trump called Paula Jones “a loser.”

Jones, who settled a sexual harassment suit against Bill Clinton, was invited by the Trump campaign to sit in the family’s box during the debate.

Throughout the 1990s, Trump consistently expressed a general disdain for Jones, and Clinton’s other alleged victims, saying in an interview with Fox News’ Neil Cavuto that Bill Clinton was the real victim in these instances.

“His victims are terrible. He is, he is really a victim himself,” Trump said. “The whole group, Paula Jones, Lewinsky, it’s just a really unattractive group. I’m not just talking about physical.”

Trump went as far as to blame Jones for potentially ruining Clinton’s presidency. “The fact is that she may be responsible for bringing down a president indirectly,” he said.

In the jaw dropping press conference Sunday night, Trump seemed to be exploiting these women at Hillary Clinton’s expense, trying to embarrass her before the high-stakes debate.

However, in the ’90s, Trump touted a different tune, saying he was impressed with the way the first lady handled these scandals.

“I think she’s gone through terrible times,” Trump told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer in an interview. “I think she’s been through more than any woman should have to bear.”

Trump, now buried in his own sexual assault scandals, apparently believes Hillary can carry some more contempt and ridicule.

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/10/donald- … -his-face/

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Is Trump a Sufferable Evil?

The emergence Friday of the disgusting Trump tape was a gift to the Republican party. It provided an occasion, at the very last minute, for the party to dump a fundamentally unworthy and radically unfit nominee. At the very least it provided an occasion for the party to separate itself radically from that nominee.

But it's always easier to find excuses for inaction than to mobilize to take bold and difficult action. Sunday night's debate may prove an excuse for inaction. If so, it will mark an important station on the road to disaster.

Here's the problem: Some Republican leaders could well make the mistake of thinking that because Donald Trump wasn't destroyed at the debate, there isn't now a dire need to act. They could decide that because Trump didn't dissolve into a puddle in the center of the town hall, the situation has stabilized, and the status quo is sustainable. That would be a fatal mistake. Hillary Clinton failed to do the GOP the favor of landing a knockout blow on Donald Trump Sunday night. But he is nonetheless on a path to defeat, a resounding defeat that will do great damage to the Republican party.

Some Republicans are saying Trump stopped the bleeding. Maybe. For now. But the patient remains on a downward trajectory, and it's a misdiagnosis to think he can recover. And the only hope for that other and more important patient, the Republican party, is a surgery to remove Trump. But GOP leaders could well embrace the misdiagnosis that nothing radical needs be done. If they do, Trump will lose—and as things turn south again in the next days and weeks, so too will Republicans lose the Senate and perhaps the House, and many of their hopes for the future.

The Declaration of Independence identified the problem: "All experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Republicans may be disposed to suffer, rather than take bold action, contrary to the forms to which they are accustomed, to shove Trump aside. Republican leaders may think, or hope, that Trump is a sufferable evil. They will be cruelly disappointed in that judgment.

Or will some key GOP leaders—such as Paul Ryan, or Mike Pence—see further than their contemporaries, and act boldly?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/is-trump- … le/2004796

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Polls lag, so Trump will be down pretty heavily by the end of the week, which will result in more 'Is Trump done" talk.  That bad pub will be hard & late to overcome.

Board footer