You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I keep hearing about how Confederate statues preserve our history and heritage, and taking them down would erase that.

To that I say, where are all the monuments to the slaves or freedmen or those who led slave rebellions?

Nathan Bedford Forrest not only was as great general, but the first Grand Wizard of the Klan. He has a monument in Memphis people want removed. What people don't know, he also ended the Klan, destroyed it. Renounced racism, embraced civil rights and was the first white man to address the NAACP.

They're trying to literally dig up his and his wife's bodies out of the ground.

Go build those monuments for slaves. What's stopping you? Serious question. Go do it. Why tear down things that matter to us. Plenty of wealthy people who share that opinion.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I keep hearing about how Confederate statues preserve our history and heritage, and taking them down would erase that.

To that I say, where are all the monuments to the slaves or freedmen or those who led slave rebellions?

Nathan Bedford Forrest not only was as great general, but the first Grand Wizard of the Klan. He has a monument in Memphis people want removed. What people don't know, he also ended the Klan, destroyed it. Renounced racism, embraced civil rights and was the first white man to address the NAACP.

They're trying to literally dig up his and his wife's bodies out of the ground.

Go build those monuments for slaves. What's stopping you? Serious question. Go do it. Why year down things that matter to us?

I'm not advocating tearing down anything. In fact I said that very thing earlier in this thread. I'm just saying the two sides of this "history" and "heritage" that people don't want erased aren't equally represented.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I agree that there should be more monuments for slaves and people like Harriot Tubman, but the removal is not about erasing history. Gavin Newsome is calling it "hate not heritage", which is a direct stab at southerners who denounce racism. He's deciding what our culture is.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Well, people are being insulted on both sides. And I agree, people are actively looking for ways to be angry. But the argument that taking down confederate monuments is erasing history doesn't hold water for me. We pretty much already erased the history of the other side of the coin, or are trying to.

It matters because liberals hate us and want to erase our culture and heritage. Whether people like it or not, if they take the monuments it won't end there and don't pretend it won't. Companies are already trying to get their employees to get rid of their southern accents. People feel pressured to lose our accents so they don't come across as racist or dumb. Believe it or not, there have been complaints about southern accents being offensive. Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

Liberals want to erase our culture? That is a great big falsehood.

Tearing down the statues was a response to people who wave the flags of the confederacy and white supremacy. That Charlottesville song and dance provoked a lot of backlash. What your seeing now is purely backlash. Especially due to the fact that our president can't fucking handle himself. He is still supposed to be the president of liberals, too.

The tearing down of statues is a direct response to the rise of white pride that rode into the white house with Trump.

People have been trying to hide their southern drawls for a long time.

Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

You've gone off the rails here...see...that flag is a symbol of something that is still alive and well. That flag isn't a symbol of something that died long ago...it's still alive and well today.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

In Birmingham we have statues of blacks all over the place. I really don't see the the issue here and neither do most people in my state. These statues are old. When was the last time a confederate statue was erected?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The stars and bars flag is one thing. The statues is another IMO.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

In Birmingham we have statues of blacks all over the place. I really don't see the the issue here and neither do most people in my state. These statues are old. When was the last time a confederate statue was erected?

As a fan of historical artifacts, I find the statues interesting and strangely beautiful.

to others it's a haunting reminder of a time not really that long ago. And a reminder that we can't take anything for granted.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

These statues are old. When was the last time a confederate statue was erected?

Not all of them.

Virginia, 2014
West Virginia, 2013

This is an interesting report if you're willing to read it.

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default … e_splc.pdf

A lot of monuments went up during the civil rights era.

"The dedication of Confederate monuments and the use of Confederate names and other iconography began shortly after the Civil War ended in 1865. But two distinct periods saw signi cant spikes. The  rst began around 1900 as Southern states were enacting Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise African Americans and re-segregate society after several decades of integration that followed Reconstruction. It lasted well into the 1920s, a period that also saw a strong revival of the Ku Klux Klan. The second period began in the mid-1950s and lasted until the late 1960s, the period encompassing the modern civil rights movement."

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think this hurricaine's gonna be just a mess. Complete disaster, hope the people survive.

I'm watching the news though, and this one dipshit Texan says 'I think its good people are leaving, cause they don't know how to handle it. I feel I can handle it so I'm gonna stick around'.  Thats your typical Texas I'm Great I Know Everything mentality. F'ing dumbass, tomorrow when the house floods with 10 feet of water they'll handle it alright. When they're floating out the Gulf.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Whoa wait what...??

https://www.wsj.com/articles/special-co … 1503694304

Special Counsel Examines Possible Role Flynn Played in Seeking Clinton Emails From Hackers
Mueller probe of potential link between Trump campaign and Russia follows trail of GOP operative’s correspondence

Board footer