You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Well, people are being insulted on both sides. And I agree, people are actively looking for ways to be angry. But the argument that taking down confederate monuments is erasing history doesn't hold water for me. We pretty much already erased the history of the other side of the coin, or are trying to.

It matters because liberals hate us and want to erase our culture and heritage. Whether people like it or not, if they take the monuments it won't end there and don't pretend it won't. Companies are already trying to get their employees to get rid of their southern accents. People feel pressured to lose our accents so they don't come across as racist or dumb. Believe it or not, there have been complaints about southern accents being offensive. Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

Liberals want to erase our culture? That is a great big falsehood.

Tearing down the statues was a response to people who wave the flags of the confederacy and white supremacy. That Charlottesville song and dance provoked a lot of backlash. What your seeing now is purely backlash. Especially due to the fact that our president can't fucking handle himself. He is still supposed to be the president of liberals, too.

The tearing down of statues is a direct response to the rise of white pride that rode into the white house with Trump.

People have been trying to hide their southern drawls for a long time.

Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

You've gone off the rails here...see...that flag is a symbol of something that is still alive and well. That flag isn't a symbol of something that died long ago...it's still alive and well today.

I'm not talking about "our" culture, as in people from the North, but my culture. Mitch, this existed before Trump. Obama refused to go along with tearing down monuments.  He paid respects to the graves of Confederate soldiers when the left demanded him not to. Not everything has to do with Trump.

You think it's okay people should be made to be ashamed of their accents? Should companies be allowed to change employee accents?

I didn't see one flag that I'm talking about in that rally. I saw Klan flags, but not rebel flags. They were not there protesting the statue.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It matters because liberals hate us and want to erase our culture and heritage. Whether people like it or not, if they take the monuments it won't end there and don't pretend it won't. Companies are already trying to get their employees to get rid of their southern accents. People feel pressured to lose our accents so they don't come across as racist or dumb. Believe it or not, there have been complaints about southern accents being offensive. Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

Liberals want to erase our culture? That is a great big falsehood.

Tearing down the statues was a response to people who wave the flags of the confederacy and white supremacy. That Charlottesville song and dance provoked a lot of backlash. What your seeing now is purely backlash. Especially due to the fact that our president can't fucking handle himself. He is still supposed to be the president of liberals, too.

The tearing down of statues is a direct response to the rise of white pride that rode into the white house with Trump.

People have been trying to hide their southern drawls for a long time.

Our architecture will be offensive. Historic sites will be offensive. Reenactments are already under fire. The rebel battle flag, which is NOT the Confederate flag, but a flag that was adopted as a regional symbol, will be banned. We'll continue to be mocked and will be socially acceptable to disparage. And the shit will get worse.

You've gone off the rails here...see...that flag is a symbol of something that is still alive and well. That flag isn't a symbol of something that died long ago...it's still alive and well today.

I'm not talking about "our" culture, as in people from the North, but my culture. Mitch, this existed before Trump. Obama refused to go along with tearing down monuments.  He paid respects to the graves of Confederate soldiers when the left demanded him not to. Not everything has to do with Trump.

You think it's okay people should be made to be ashamed of their accents? Should companies be allowed to change employee accents?

I didn't see one flag that I'm talking about in that rally. I saw Klan flags, but not rebel flags. They were not there protesting the statue.

Why do you get to be sensitive about your accent but people tearing down statues are sensitive snowflakes?

With my accent, I could be in the movie Fargo.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be bothered. If it bothers you then it should matter.

You feel discriminated against for where you come from (where was that again? I'm going to guess the South).

misterID

misterID wrote:

I didn't call anyone sensitive snowflakes, I understand their feelings. My problem is that the monuments mean something different for others too and are only a buffer. They're going after private monuments on private land also. They're trying to dig up graves. If you think it stops at statues you're very, very wrong.

I was born in FL and live in TN.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I miss Obama. sad

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Lots of subjects:

1) IMO, it's not difficult to understand why confederate statues offend some Americans. It was a dark time for America, we existed as a proto-Nazi state, where we bought/sold  humans, enslaved them and murdered them. We also tortured these people mentally, emotionally, spiritually, sexually and physically for our enjoyment. I'm sure there is a historical significance for some people. However I find it rather difficult to believe that the group that chanted "Jews will not replace us" and marched down the street with torches sincerely gave two shits about "historical significance."

2) I despise southern accents, even though mine still sneaks through every now and then. I still drop my gs. Goin', sayin', doin'....I try to be mindful and correct myself. Most of the peeps I heard speak with deep southern accents were assholes, religious freaks, rednecks etc..at least that's how I saw it. Accurate? Probably not, but that's my bias.

3) Trump is currently on the brink of war with the GOP. I'm starting to think he's setting himself up to get booted out of office on purpose. I can arrive at no other explanation for his behavior.

4) Christopher Steele who was responsible for the famous dossier, just had a sit down with the FBI and provided his sources.

5) Trump pardoned ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio, then announced it on Twitter. SMDH.

6) With all this drama, it's often overlooked that Trump's government is woefully understaffed to say the least. The state department is one I'm very concerned about. That's a security issue IMO. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration doesn't have a permanent director, nor does the National Hurricane Center. Maybe Trump should get the fuck off Twitter for a while and actually get to work?

Edit: Annnnnd Gorka is out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I can speak Southern, :  Roll Tide Ya'll

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I can speak Southern, :  Roll Tide Ya'll

Fuck you!!!!!!! You bammer loving mother fucker. Haha WAR EAGLE BITCHES!

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Nice, yeah I like Auburn more. That game a few years ago was epic.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Nice, yeah I like Auburn more. That game a few years ago was epic.

The most thrilling ending in college football history some say. I was there. It was so damn crazy!!!!!

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Whoa, you were at that game??  Yeah, one of the best I've seen, glad I caught it. I do work on Saturdays often & got home around the 3rd or 4th quarter, just popped on the TV but figured some football had to be on somewhere.  I was floored, missed FG return, right? FTW

Game of the Century (FSU v Notre Dame '93) was a great game. Most hyped up game I've ever seen, it was a good game too.

Board footer