You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is an idiot

The NFL should keep the players in the locker room during the National Anthem

This North Korea shit is gonna end badly I fear.

Boy, if only someone would have told you this 10 months ago!

Lol...

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is an idiot

The NFL should keep the players in the locker room during the National Anthem

This North Korea shit is gonna end badly I fear.

I'm truly thankful that you've come around on this.

We can debate the pros and cons of big government all you want.

You'll even win me over on some points. I'm even quite curious to see what this new tax code would do for the country.

But there is no debating that Trump sucks. He sucks as a human being. He has everything that a human being could ever want and he's just a miserable fuck. He appeals to the worst in everyone.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Tom Price resigns as Trump administration health chief after outrage over private jet flights

Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price resigned Friday after criticism over his repeatedly taking expensive private jets instead of commercial flights.
Price's private travel, added to his use of military jets for overseas trips, has cost taxpayers more than $1 million.
Price said he will reimburse the government just a fraction of the cost of the flights.

Tom Price out as Trump administration health chief    Tom Price out as Trump administration health chief 
18 Hours Ago | 00:44
Tom Price, secretary of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department, resigned Friday amid a furor over his taking more than two dozen costly private plane trips instead of less-expensive commercial flights.

The White House in a statement said that President Donald Trump intends to tap a top HHS official, Don Wright, to serve as acting secretary of the department. Wright currently serves as deputy assistant secretary for health and director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.

"Secretary of Health and Human Services Thomas Price offered his resignation earlier today and the President accepted," the White House said, about an hour after Trump said he would decide by Friday night whether to fire Price.

Price's resignation came a day after he said he would reimburse taxpayers for just a small fraction of the cost of his flights, and after he vowed to not use charter planes in the future.

A longtime critic of wasteful federal spending and the administration's putative point man on attacking Obamacare, Price had taken 26 flights on charter plans since May, according to a Politico investigation.

In a letter addressed to Trump, Price said he was tendering his resignation in order to allow the administration "to move forward without further disruption."

More:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/29/price-o … ights.html

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Trump picks a fight with San Juan mayor and other hurricane victims in PR....can't make this shit up.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I'm really starting to lose track of this...

You really started something here Trump with your dumb assery...

This kneeling thing is spreading like wild fire.

I hate to say it but this tax plan is a sham. Over the next 10 years something like 99.6 percent of these tax cuts got to the 1 percent.

I'm starting to wonder if he's going to get anything done by mid-terms. Certainly lots of republicans will take exception to massive deficits he's planning to accumulate.

And who are these people burning NFL jerseys? NFL ratings are down...but this started 1-2 years ago.

We have Trump supporting conservatives who hate the invisible hand of the free market so much so that they hate millionaires and want NAFTA to be removed so that a more American economy can take shape. They  want government to intervene to artificially move the invisible hand in a way that changes the economy in a way benefits them.

They want illegals to be removed from this country so employers are forced to pay more to people with no skills that never wanted to work these jobs. They want government to intervene and remove better qualified, more productive people and place them in those spots.

Is this not the fucking twilight zone?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am not rich and never will be, but I have never liked the idea of the "estate tax".

That money has already been taxed. Why should the government get their hands on the money due to death?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

A mass shooting in Vegas while Jason Aldean was performing.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am not rich and never will be, but I have never liked the idea of the "estate tax".

That money has already been taxed. Why should the government get their hands on the money due to death?

I actually think an estate tax is a great idea. The purpose of taxation can be twofold: to fund the governments coffers for community benefitting projects that would otherwise go unfunded (like national defence, healthcare, ...), AND (often overlooked) stimulate the regulated free market. Money that is locked up in an estate is not moving hands, not participating in the economy, and therefor useless for the market. Forcing that money into the economy by making it less profitable to just let it pass on from parent to heir is hugely beneficial. It can then be used for actual investments into new ideas, projects, jobs, ...

Not to mention the fact that it at least somewhat keeps insane amounts of wealth from ending up in some loser kid's hands without them having to work for it. Nothing worse than a rich guy that hasn't earned his own wealth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I actually think an estate tax is a great idea. The purpose of taxation can be twofold: to fund the governments coffers for community benefitting projects that would otherwise go unfunded (like national defence, healthcare, ...), AND (often overlooked) stimulate the regulated free market. Money that is locked up in an estate is not moving hands, not participating in the economy, and therefor useless for the market. Forcing that money into the economy by making it less profitable to just let it pass on from parent to heir is hugely beneficial. It can then be used for actual investments into new ideas, projects, jobs, ...

Not to mention the fact that it at least somewhat keeps insane amounts of wealth from ending up in some loser kid's hands without them having to work for it. Nothing worse than a rich guy that hasn't earned his own wealth.

It's not the governments job or anyone else's to make that distinction, IMO. If you choose to pass your wealth to your kids I don't want the government deciding if they're worthy of it or not. I don't like the idea of taxes being used as punishment.

I'd much rather protect the widowed spouse, instead of seeing an estate get butchered after a death. It's really an ugly process.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It's not the governments job or anyone else's to make that distinction, IMO. If you choose to pass your wealth to your kids I don't want the government deciding if they're worthy of it or not. I don't like the idea of taxes being used as punishment.

I'd much rather protect the widowed spouse, instead of seeing an estate get butchered after a death. It's really an ugly process.

I don't like the idea of somewhat who has done nothing, earned nothing, achieved nothing simply inheriting $10s of millions simply by existing. I'm not saying the government should get a piece...but that kind of generational wealth is a problem.

the poster above is right....this money usually sits in a cave somewhere and doesn't stimulate the market in any way.

Board footer