You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I’m a business owner who will end the year paying out about $750k in wages, all kinds of red tape and I deal with beauracracy all the time.

I should be a republican.

Well it's what I told a Republican business owner here that was bellyaching to me about taxes: We both own businesses, I also cut a large check to Uncle Sam the year prior. The only difference is I'm not a big fucking crybaby about it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

Trump's latest:

Challenges Tillerson to an IQ test
Apparently wants to increase our nuclear arsenal 10 fold
Has now threatened NBC over a nuclear weapons report
In feud with Bob Corker
STILL talking shit about the NFL on Twitter

Support from the GOP is starting to crumble. They are starting to see Trump as mentally unstable and dangerous to the world. I hope more join in, so we can get rid of him. The North Korea tough guy talk is really starting to get me nervous.

Best thing Trump has going for him (really us) is that nobody likes him.  I don't think that's a bad thing at all.  He's not going to just push a friend's or party's agenda like others have.  The truth is he's really done next to nothing and everything is just rolling along just fine.  He talks a good game but does next to nothing.  I wish more presidents had done that.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

“I HATE EVERYONE IN THE WHITE HOUSE!”: TRUMP SEETHES AS ADVISERS FEAR THE PRESIDENT IS “UNRAVELING”

At first it sounded like hyperbole, the escalation of a Twitter war. But now it’s clear that Bob Corker’s remarkable New York Times interview—in which the Republican senator described the White House as “adult day care” and warned Trump could start World War III—was an inflection point in the Trump presidency. It brought into the open what several people close to the president have recently told me in private: that Trump is “unstable,” “losing a step,” and “unraveling.”

The conversation among some of the president’s longtime confidantes, along with the character of some of the leaks emerging from the White House has shifted. There’s a new level of concern. NBC News published a report that Trump shocked his national security team when he called for a nearly tenfold increase in the country’s nuclear arsenal during a briefing this summer. One Trump adviser confirmed to me it was after this meeting disbanded that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called Trump a “moron.”

In recent days, I spoke with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president who seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods. Trump’s ire is being fueled by his stalled legislative agenda and, to a surprising degree, by his decision last month to back the losing candidate Luther Strange in the Alabama Republican primary. “Alabama was a huge blow to his psyche,” a person close to Trump said. “He saw the cult of personality was broken.”

According to two sources familiar with the conversation, Trump vented to his longtime security chief, Keith Schiller, “I hate everyone in the White House! There are a few exceptions, but I hate them!” (A White House official denies this.) Two senior Republican officials said Chief of Staff John Kelly is miserable in his job and is remaining out of a sense of duty to keep Trump from making some sort of disastrous decision. Today, speculation about Kelly’s future increased after Politico reported that Kelly’s deputy Kirstjen Nielsen is likely to be named Homeland Security Secretary—the theory among some Republicans is that Kelly wanted to give her a soft landing before his departure.

One former official even speculated that Kelly and Secretary of Defense James Mattis have discussed what they would do in the event Trump ordered a nuclear first strike. “Would they tackle him?” the person said. Even Trump’s most loyal backers are sowing public doubts. This morning, The Washington Post quoted longtime Trump friend Tom Barrack saying he has been “shocked” and “stunned” by Trump’s behavior.

While Kelly can’t control Trump’s tweets, he is doing his best to physically sequester the president—much to Trump’s frustration. One major G.O.P. donor told me access to Trump has been cut off, and his outside calls to the White House switchboard aren’t put through to the Oval Office. Earlier this week, I reported on Kelly’s plans to prevent Trump from mingling with guests at Mar-a-Lago later this month. And, according to two sources, Keith Schiller quit last month after Kelly told Schiller he needed permission to speak to the president and wanted written reports of their conversations.

The White House denies these accounts. “The President’s mood is good and his outlook on the agenda is very positive,” an official said.

West Wing aides have also worried about Trump’s public appearances, one Trump adviser told me. The adviser said aides were relieved when Trump canceled his appearance on the season premiere of 60 Minutes last month. “He’s lost a step. They don’t want him doing adversarial TV interviews,” the adviser explained. Instead, Trump has sat down for friendly conversations with Sean Hannity and Mike Huckabee, whose daughter is Trump’s press secretary. (The White House official says the 60 Minutes interview is being rescheduled.)

Even before Corker’s remarks, some West Wing advisers were worried that Trump’s behavior could cause the Cabinet to take extraordinary Constitutional measures to remove him from office. Several months ago, according to two sources with knowledge of the conversation, former chief strategist Steve Bannon told Trump that the risk to his presidency wasn’t impeachment, but the 25th Amendment—the provision by which a majority of the Cabinet can vote to remove the president. When Bannon mentioned the 25th Amendment, Trump said, “What’s that?” According to a source, Bannon has told people he thinks Trump has only a 30 percent chance of making it the full term.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10 … e-advisers

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

Even before Corker’s remarks, some West Wing advisers were worried that Trump’s behavior could cause the Cabinet to take extraordinary Constitutional measures to remove him from office. Several months ago, according to two sources with knowledge of the conversation, former chief strategist Steve Bannon told Trump that the risk to his presidency wasn’t impeachment, but the 25th Amendment—the provision by which a majority of the Cabinet can vote to remove the president. When Bannon mentioned the 25th Amendment, Trump said, “What’s that?” According to a source, Bannon has told people he thinks Trump has only a 30 percent chance of making it the full term.

WOW!!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

Now you can go to jail in California if you call a transgender by the wrong sex.

Seriously.

I don't see how this is constitutional.

That's not what the law says. Are you reading Brietbart now ?

SLC, c'mon, man. The law is aimed at seniors and literally says that. No matter how rare the instance would be, no law should ever dictate speech. You should know this will bleed out much, much more.  Which is the intent.

I'm against people trying to legislate religious beliefs into law, which always begins innocuously, right? How is identity politics (thought crimes) different than that?

misterID

misterID wrote:

And I do think there's a subtle foundation being laid to eventually try to oust Trump. I still think impeachment is the easiest, unless they give him an ultimatum to resign.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I’m a business owner who will end the year paying out about $750k in wages, all kinds of red tape and I deal with beauracracy all the time.

I should be a republican.

Well it's what I told a Republican business owner here that was bellyaching to me about taxes: We both own businesses, I also cut a large check to Uncle Sam the year prior. The only difference is I'm not a big fucking crybaby about it.

Couldn't agree with you more...seems like you and I are in the minority...too often I find those that disagree with me here about taxes/philosophies speak in such the abstract (almost in a way that they don't see how it directly affects them) that it's almost like a football announcer looking down on the field.

Almost like sometimes it feels like some people aren't directly in the game.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I do think there's a subtle foundation being laid to eventually try to oust Trump. I still think impeachment is the easiest, unless they give him an ultimatum to resign.

Can you really impeach someone because they are terrible at their job?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

You know what I thought about? Trump loves money, what if Bill Gates said "I will give you $10,000,000,000 to just leave. We won't announce I paid you, just step away," does that money loving Fuck take the money?

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Can you really impeach someone because they are terrible at their job?

That's a good question. And the more I think about it, impeachment would be difficult because it would hinder on collusion, and more the 25th amendment might make more sense if they feel he isn't of sound mind or is performing recklessly. I thought it was funny, if true, where I reaf Mattis and Kelly are prepared to physically stop him if he tries to start a war with N. Korea. Supposedly they'll tackle him to restrain him. I think if true t ever got to that point they'd lay it out to him an offer him a chance to save face and exit with dignity by resigning.

I just have a terrible, terrible feeling about Pence. I'd rather have four years of shit getting done than having the freedom caucus fuck things up.

Board footer