You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The uranium/Clinton Foundation donations is worth investigating. I'm not so sure about the dossier being a big deal as to who paid for it. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to do opposition research on your opponent, nor is it illegal to hire a private investigator to investigate on someone. Wasn't it just a British spy who put it all together. Doesn't mean they paid him to say all these things, just they paid him to do the research. So them paying for it, might actually be fairly common.  This could all also a means of deflecting any further Niger investigations, so there's that.

I'll tell you what, we sure haven't seen Jared Kushner for several weeks have we?  That guys going down. Trump will pardon him. Trump will be impeached. Period.

The only thing about the Dossier is you can’t just dismiss as Oppo Research when much of it is fake news and the info was more or less collusion to smear Donald Trump but then scream collusion because Russia posted some fake news articles about Hilary on Facebook. If Russia gave fake news about both Clinton and Trump one can’t be collusion and the other treated as Oppo research ESPECIALLY if Trump didn’t pay Russia to do the fake news stories on Hilary.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The uranium/Clinton Foundation donations is worth investigating. I'm not so sure about the dossier being a big deal as to who paid for it. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to do opposition research on your opponent, nor is it illegal to hire a private investigator to investigate on someone. Wasn't it just a British spy who put it all together. Doesn't mean they paid him to say all these things, just they paid him to do the research. So them paying for it, might actually be fairly common.  This could all also a means of deflecting any further Niger investigations, so there's that.

I'll tell you what, we sure haven't seen Jared Kushner for several weeks have we?  That guys going down. Trump will pardon him. Trump will be impeached. Period.

The only thing about the Dossier is you can’t just dismiss as Oppo Research when much of it is fake news and the info was more or less collusion to smear Donald Trump but then scream collusion because Russia posted some fake news articles about Hilary on Facebook. If Russia gave fake news about both Clinton and Trump one can’t be collusion and the other treated as Oppo research ESPECIALLY if Trump didn’t pay Russia to do the fake news stories on Hilary.

And the entire dossier was gathered over drinks at a bar. Real hard hitting investigations there. “I met with a guy in a bar who said Trump was peed on.”  Then yahoos go on the web and pronounce it as gospel. There’s a reason why the same type of people who believe 9/11 was an inside job or Sandy Hook was staged fall for this nonsense. They’ll believe anything that validates their view.

If you’re taking a nuanced and reserved position on the Clinton allegations but were/are convinced Trump worked with Putin and likes being peed on, it’s not because you’re informed or even intelligent.

And last I checked, citizens of the UK weren’t Americans. But asking for consistency is a bridge too far.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

And the entire dossier was gathered over drinks at a bar. Real hard hitting investigations there. “I met with a guy in a bar who said Trump was peed on.”  Then yahoos go on the web and pronounce it as gospel. There’s a reason why the same type of people who believe 9/11 was an inside job or Sandy Hook was staged fall for this nonsense. They’ll believe anything that validates their view.

If you’re taking a nuanced and reserved position on the Clinton allegations but were/are convinced Trump worked with Putin and likes being peed on, it’s not because you’re informed or even intelligent.

And last I checked, citizens of the UK weren’t Americans. But asking for consistency is a bridge too far.

Correct. This is very black and white to me.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Laws are pretty strict about political advertising. That's why at the end of TV ads you always see 'Paid for by ..... etc etc'. Its not that they WANT you to know who its by, its that THEY HAVE TO DO IT. And there's limits  to how much they can receive in donations which is why alot aren't from the candidate themselves, but from Political Action Committees etc. Also, TV channels have to solicit the same rates to both parties, not saying no one did, but there's pretty strict rules that they need to follow. Not always the case in advertising, McDonalds might buy $1million dollars a month and get ads for $500 spot but if I come in and ask to buy 1 spot, they might charge me $800.

Its just an analogy but I wouldn't dismiss it as simply 'Russia bought a few Facebook ads', as its potentially illegal what they did. Then again I wouldn't guarantee that the laws have been rewritten to mention or concisely target social media and internet advertising, maybe they have, I don't know.

Also, they dossier leaked AFTER the election, the paid ads by Russia happened during the election cycle. Entirely different. Also, was there tracking on how much spending was done, isn't that required by PAC's, and was there a trace on who donated to the quote unquote PAC?  I don't think I can call my TV station and purchase a political ad without some form of legal affiliation or registration. Again, its a different era with internet advertising and i don't know what the rules are. One things for sure tho, if they are Facebook definitely fucked up. I do some minor FB ads for a side business (wedding videos) and really all it is is a few clicks, monthly budget and a few minutes later its approved. Hard to think I could have just chipped in $50 bucks, made a shoddy anti-Trump website and blog post, and viola reached quite a few thousand people with little to no trace on it. To be honest, this is what I think Kushner was involved in. I think he thought he was this young new savvy Theo Epstein of politics, and figured it out. When in fact what he did may very well have been illegal. Even if it wasn't Russia, I'm not sure the laws if some ham & egger can just buy their own political ads on the internet. Again, they can't for TV (and likely paper, Big Bri would likely know on that but I'd be almost sure a newspaper ad needs to reference 'Paid for by so & so....')

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Also, I'd bet ppl sorta knew it was opp research all along, yet there's making a stink out of it now to deflect Niger investigations & coverage from the media. You don't find the timing at all coincidental?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Dossier came out during the election if I recall.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Also, I'd bet ppl sorta knew it was opp research all along, yet there's making a stink out of it now to deflect Niger investigations & coverage from the media. You don't find the timing at all coincidental?

It was just reported last night that Manafort is now under investigation for money laundering. What a coincidence.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

This is nothing more than an offensive move to make the results of Mueller's investigation become questionable.

The Uranium story was discredited years ago. Nothing will come of it. Moderate conservatives are blasting Fox over this right now. Mueller's investigation is not "coming back to Hillary." The dossier was paid for by both political parties, and then the FBI. This is old news, reported by CNN (fake!) months ago. Oddly, the Republicans only seem to be concerned about when the Dems paid for it. So much in fact, they left that part out of their latest fundraising email entirely.

In addition, the dossier is one tiny fragment of many moving parts. It isn't the catalyst for Mueller's investigation into Trump and friends. That said, the FBI has said many parts of it have been proven to be true thus far.

More than anything, what it seems like to me, is that Trump and his allies are shitting their pants and are making a pre-emptive strike with all this. Niger, Manafort etc. It's what Trump does best, along with his pals at Fox.

The right wing freak out/celebrating only shows their complete lack of reading comprehension IMO.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Over one year in this investigation, still no evidence of collusion. Maybe another 3 years they will get it.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Over one year in this investigation, still no evidence of collusion. Maybe another 3 years they will get it.

Board footer