You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

My only complaint is churches shouldn’t be able to promote politicians and be tax free. Especially since SCOTUS is going to probably end forced union dues

The mega churches should pay property taxes. I mean the preachers at some of the churches make 200-500,000. It is ridiculous

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Just looking over all, I am fine with the tax plan.

I’d be more okay with it if you (or anyone) could explain how you can increase spending and decrease taxes without a massive long term consequences

I agree. Nobody wants to cut shit. I mean fuck, the folks in NY and CA are livid they wanted to no longer include State taxes as deductible. But really why should they be? If every state paid the same, yes. But with huge differences I see how it could be unfair.

Well...I haven't researched the origins of the tax write off for property tax...etc...

but my guess would be the argument in favor might fall under the whole 'leave it up to the states' argument.

This gives people who pay more in taxes a bit more say in how it's spent. It's a misnomer to say someone who writes off property tax is paying any less in taxes. It's a way to not tax people twice for paying into the system.

It seems taxing people more would certainly not be a Republican idea. And given that a millionaire that can by the million dollar house is more likely to be Republican...I just do not see this every seeing the light of day.

The whole goal is to shift taxes onto someone else's back.

In addition, I think it really needs to be pointed out that...when you 'simplify' the tax brackets, sure that sounds good at first. But having it sold to you by someone saying, 'your tax rate is reduced by 5%' or whatever is a trick. When you 'lower' people's taxes but reduce/eliminate deductions...it could very easily come out to a wash on an individual basis. The only people that a 5% reduction might matter to if you eliminate deductions are millionaires....and then here we are again.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-america … 00713.html

It's not popular either...but i guess that doesn't matter.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Revenue_Code

the history of the tax codes is quite relevant to the discussion and super interesting in my opinion. Prior to the tax reform in 1986, this was clearly a very different country. They cut taxes to the bone in 1986....little has change about big picture taxes since then...

now in 2017, they're trying to cut the bone....I was too young to remember when this happened ( I was 4) but this massively transformed our society and we're truly feeling the effects of it to this day. The most recent major tax reform occurred 31 years ago....it seems they are asking to move it more toward the direction of 1939 or even the 1870s.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Why would anybody suggest massive tax cuts during a strong economic period? Now is the time to increase revenue, not lower it. It's pretty stupid, especially since it will increase the deficit and add on to the debt. They seem to be gutting everything that helps the middle class, so they can help out their wealthy pals. Again, only fiscally conservative once Obama became president. Now that he's gone...no worries.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you're not regulating the corporate tax cuts and stipulating that the cash they accumulate is passed on to their employees with increased wages instead of using it to buy up company stock, which is what they're doing, what the fuck's the point? The entire reason for tax cuts is that it's supposed to travel down from the rich to help the working class. That's trickle down Reaganomics. Now they've come out against "carrots and sticks"... Insane. It's wealth supremacy.

Let's be clear, corporations are sitting on record amounts of money right now under the current tax code that they're not using to raise wages. Obama was going to lower the corporate tax rate also, but stipulate the money was not going to be horded or spent on company stocks, but be filtered down. Too bad.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Some companies are hoarding cash but still taking care of their employees. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Some companies are hoarding cash but still taking care of their employees. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Come on...this is the exception to the rule though would you not agree?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Big news day:

Mueller close to charging Flynn in Russia probe

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- … lynn-probe

Leaked Documents Show Wilbur Ross Concealed Ties to Putin Cronies

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi … d_nn_tw_ma

Russia funded Facebook and Twitter investments through Kushner associate

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/n … -associate

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Come on...this is the exception to the rule though would you not agree?

No, not unless you have some actual statistics to back it up.  If you have skills, there are all kinds of jobs out there for you.  There is a lot of competition for top talent by the top companies.  The company I work for is hoarding cash like crazy, but I don't know any of the 40,000+ employees that aren't happy with how they are being taken care of.  Even our front-line employees are doing pretty well for themselves (and the company subsidizes their healthcare at a higher percentage than for the professional level employees).  There's no way we're the only company doing it.  If companies aren't going to take care of their top talent, they are going to lose it.  I see it happen every day. 

Now if you're talking about unskilled people like fast food or most retail, that may be the case.  If you're talking about companies that are just interested in getting by and making cash, you might be right.  Smaller companies probably right.  But there's no way I am comfortable making a blanket statement like you did knowing what it's like in the fortune 100 (and probably much of the fortune 500) world, and those are the companies that have major amounts of cash.

Board footer