You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Some companies are hoarding cash but still taking care of their employees. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Come on...this is the exception to the rule though would you not agree?

No, not unless you have some actual statistics to back it up.  If you have skills, there are all kinds of jobs out there for you.  There is a lot of competition for top talent by the top companies.  The company I work for is hoarding cash like crazy, but I don't know any of the 40,000+ employees that aren't happy with how they are being taken care of.  Even our front-line employees are doing pretty well for themselves (and the company subsidizes their healthcare at a higher percentage than for the professional level employees).  There's no way we're the only company doing it.  If companies aren't going to take care of their top talent, they are going to lose it.  I see it happen every day. 

Now if you're talking about unskilled people like fast food or most retail, that may be the case.  If you're talking about companies that are just interested in getting by and making cash, you might be right.  Smaller companies probably right.  But there's no way I am comfortable making a blanket statement like you did knowing what it's like in the fortune 100 (and probably much of the fortune 500) world, and those are the companies that have major amounts of cash.

My company just announced Friday they’re spending 2 billion on new buildings to provide better service and will double their amount of employees within 5 years.

Companies aren’t the problem. People with no skills or a poor work ethic are.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

We have more and more people working from home.  Saves real estate budget and it's good for quality of life as well.  Good companies do things to make their company more attractive to top talent.  Hoarding cash is absolutely fine as long as you're taking care of people.  Eventually the money will be used for something whether that's an acquisition or technology upgrades or something else.  Sitting on the money once you're sitting on a certain amount (whatever that amount is) is actually counterproductive.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Some companies are hoarding cash but still taking care of their employees. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

No, not unless you have some actual statistics to back it up.  If you have skills, there are all kinds of jobs out there for you.  There is a lot of competition for top talent by the top companies.  The company I work for is hoarding cash like crazy, but I don't know any of the 40,000+ employees that aren't happy with how they are being taken care of.  Even our front-line employees are doing pretty well for themselves (and the company subsidizes their healthcare at a higher percentage than for the professional level employees).  There's no way we're the only company doing it.  If companies aren't going to take care of their top talent, they are going to lose it.  I see it happen every day. 

Now if you're talking about unskilled people like fast food or most retail, that may be the case.  If you're talking about companies that are just interested in getting by and making cash, you might be right.  Smaller companies probably right.  But there's no way I am comfortable making a blanket statement like you did knowing what it's like in the fortune 100 (and probably much of the fortune 500) world, and those are the companies that have major amounts of cash.

I was going to do some work and bring out a bunch of statistics, but we don't have a good history about that do we? Fact is, wages have not grown in decades while executive salary and bonuses have sky rocketed. There's over a trillion dollars in hoarded corporate cash. The whole reason for these corporate tax cuts is for the money to flow down to the employees and that in turn goes into the economy.

If they're not fulfilling their end by increasing wages now, why give them more tax cuts?

I'm sure we all have wonderful anecdotal stories, but they're not doing what they're suppose to. You can blow that off, but it's not sustainable. The chickens will come home to roost, and they don't give a shit what happens to any of you when it does.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I was going to do some work and bring out a bunch of statistics, but we don't have a good history about that do we? Fact is, wages have not grown in decades while executive salary and bonuses have sky rocketed. There's over a trillion dollars in hoarded corporate cash. The whole reason for these corporate tax cuts is for the money to flow down to the employees and that in turn goes into the economy.

If they're not fulfilling their end by increasing wages now, why give them more tax cuts?

I'm sure we all have wonderful anecdotal stories, but they're not doing what they're suppose to. You can blow that off, but it's not sustainable. The chickens will come home to roost, and they don't give a shit what happens to any of you when it does.

Why does it matter what the CEO is making?  Do you understand free enterprise and supply and demand?  People get paid what the job is worth.  If you're extra good at it, you might get a little more.  If you're fantastic, it's more likely you'll get promoted and with that will come more money. 

I don't get why people think the CEO's job is easy.  It's not.  Few are qualified to do the job.  The number of hours worked, the amount of travel, the amount of stress, responsibility, etc...no amount of money would be worth it for me.  Maybe I'm unique, but I'd guess not if people actually knew what they were signing up for. 

Corporate America is just a game.  All you have to do is understand that and the game is pretty easy.  They use you; you use them right back.  They can fire you at any time, but you can also leave at any time if you're good because your skills will be in demand.  I have roughly 18 years of experience doing what I do and 10 of those years are at Fortune 500 companies (including 7 years at a Fortune 100 company).  Do you think I'm worried about not finding a job if they were to get rid of me tomorrow?  Heck no.  I am skilled and in demand based on the calls and emails I receive every day about job openings.  While I am there, the experience I am gaining is making me more valuable.  The contacts I am making are making me more valuable.  The cross-training I am getting is making me more valuable.  I love where I work and hopefully I can retire here, but if not I've certainly gotten the most out of my time here not just in terms of skills and experience, but also financially.  I've been able to do things and go places I could never have imagined being able to do when I was younger. 

So why do I care what the CEO is making?  Why should I care if my peers are making more or less than I am?  All that matters is that I am happy with what I am doing and how I am being compensated.  I could be the lowest paid employee in the department and I wouldn't care.  Maybe I am.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Thoughts and prayers say the NRA whores...27 dead today at church.

misterID

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Why does it matter what the CEO is making?  Do you understand free enterprise and supply and demand?  People get paid what the job is worth.  If you're extra good at it, you might get a little more.  If you're fantastic, it's more likely you'll get promoted and with that will come more money. 

I don't get why people think the CEO's job is easy.  It's not.  Few are qualified to do the job.  The number of hours worked, the amount of travel, the amount of stress, responsibility, etc...no amount of money would be worth it for me.  Maybe I'm unique, but I'd guess not if people actually knew what they were signing up for. 

Corporate America is just a game.  All you have to do is understand that and the game is pretty easy.  They use you; you use them right back.  They can fire you at any time, but you can also leave at any time if you're good because your skills will be in demand.  I have roughly 18 years of experience doing what I do and 10 of those years are at Fortune 500 companies (including 7 years at a Fortune 100 company).  Do you think I'm worried about not finding a job if they were to get rid of me tomorrow?  Heck no.  I am skilled and in demand based on the calls and emails I receive every day about job openings.  While I am there, the experience I am gaining is making me more valuable.  The contacts I am making are making me more valuable.  The cross-training I am getting is making me more valuable.  I love where I work and hopefully I can retire here, but if not I've certainly gotten the most out of my time here not just in terms of skills and experience, but also financially.  I've been able to do things and go places I could never have imagined being able to do when I was younger. 

So why do I care what the CEO is making?  Why should I care if my peers are making more or less than I am?  All that matters is that I am happy with what I am doing and how I am being compensated.  I could be the lowest paid employee in the department and I wouldn't care.  Maybe I am.

Well, we don't operate on "life according to buzz." Not everryone has your life. Exactly why we have a democacy. It doesn't really matter what you care about, it matters when capitalism is being twisted and manipulated. It matters when bad CEOs take down a company because of had business practices while overloading bonuses and walking away from a bankrupt company with loaded pockets while the employees lose their jobs with no protection. Who has to take care of them between jobs? We do. When a community losesca big employer it depresses the economy. When you're not paying employees what you could or should out of greed, that straps the economy and deprives more tax dollars to pay off the debt, which affects everyone.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Corporate America is just a game.  All you have to do is understand that and the game is pretty easy.  They use you; you use them right back.  They can fire you at any time, but you can also leave at any time if you're good because your skills will be in demand.

In Australia this works until a certain age...but then if the company decides it doesn't need you and you are late 40s or 50s it is remarkably hard to get that next position.

HR seem to start taking a long term view of their investment - and it's better value to shape and mould a young person than it is to deal with an older person who may not be as agile to new policies and any-retraining that comes up and will need to retire soon anyway.

Even a wealth of experience somehow gets painted into a negative as they're looking for 'fresh blood' in the industry.

I've met an absolute ton of people around 60 who were basically made redundant somewhere around 50 and are spending the last 10-15 years of their working lives under-employed, unemployed, or working some low level job like cashier that had nothing to do with their (previously executive middle-management) type skills.

Maybe it's different in the USA. But over here...once you're in your late 40s i'd be worried about being seen as too disposable...

misterID

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Corporate America is just a game.  All you have to do is understand that and the game is pretty easy.  They use you; you use them right back.  They can fire you at any time, but you can also leave at any time if you're good because your skills will be in demand.

In Australia this works until a certain age...but then if the company decides it doesn't need you and you are late 40s or 50s it is remarkably hard to get that next position.

HR seem to start taking a long term view of their investment - and it's better value to shape and mould a young person than it is to deal with an older person who may not be as agile to new policies and any-retraining that comes up and will need to retire soon anyway.

Even a wealth of experience somehow gets painted into a negative as they're looking for 'fresh blood' in the industry.

I've met an absolute ton of people around 60 who were basically made redundant somewhere around 50 and are spending the last 10-15 years of their working lives under-employed, unemployed, or working some low level job like cashier that had nothing to do with their (previously executive middle-management) type skills.

Maybe it's different in the USA. But over here...once you're in your late 40s i'd be worried about being seen as too disposable...

It's not that different here, monkey. Not unless you're lucky enough to belong to a union.

Randall Flagg

slcpunk wrote:

Thoughts and prayers say the NRA whores...27 dead today at church.

[/embed]

Are you going to offer a solution or just attack people and retreat as soon as you’re asked to provide something someone else didn’t write?  Guy was an atheist. One of yours this time. I heard he thought 9/11 was an inside job too.

No comment that a law abiding citizen with a gun stopped him?

Randall Flagg

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I’ve found that people who bitch about CEO pay have never worked in corporate America and have never made it to middle management.

Board footer