You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Well, we don't operate on "life according to buzz." Not everryone has your life. Exactly why we have a democacy. It doesn't really matter what you care about, it matters when capitalism is being twisted and manipulated. It matters when bad CEOs take down a company because of had business practices while overloading bonuses and walking away from a bankrupt company with loaded pockets while the employees lose their jobs with no protection. Who has to take care of them between jobs? We do. When a community losesca big employer it depresses the economy. When you're not paying employees what you could or should out of greed, that straps the economy and deprives more tax dollars to pay off the debt, which affects everyone.

Over and over I hear that I'm not as smart as I think I am.  If that's true, how have I gotten here and so many haven't?  Luck?   Either I'm not that smart and people are too lazy to do what I did and pull myself out of the lower middle class or I'm pretty sharp.  I'll let you choose.

I didn't say anything about you not being smart, buzz. You said you don't care, so you don't care. There's reasons I care that I pointed out. Because you don't, doesn't mean no one else can't have a different opinion or there's no validity to it.

misterID

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's not luck, son.  Everybody has opportunities in life.  If you're too lazy, busy gang-banging, doing drugs, or looking for your next hand out to notice them, that's your problem and not society's problem.  I saw mine and took full advantage of them.  That's smart, not luck. 

I started at a grocery store as a bagger at 18 (had been working since 14).  In a year I was running the receiving dept and in another year I was store manager (with the former manager reporting to me).  There's no luck in that.  I hated the guy that owned the store, but he taught me a very important lesson in life: work smarter, not harder.  I'm pretty damn lazy, yet ironically at work I have the reputation as the person they can give anything to and it will get done.  It's not because I work harder than everyone else; it's because I know how to get things done efficiently and not waste time on things that don't matter.  It's the same reason I can post here all day while keeping my job...they don't care how hard I work; just that my work gets done and it does.  That's not luck. 

I don't know everything, but I know what I know.  It's not quite I drink and I know things; I just know things.  I have always absorbed information quickly since I was a child.  It's not luck that I know things.  I pay attention to what is going on around me.  I learn from what is going on around me.  People come to me for advice because they know they can tell me anything and it will not be repeated.  It's amazing what you can learn by listening and paying attention to the world around you.  You don't have to work harder than everybody else; but you better be pretty sharp if you're not going to be a hard worker.

There are ways to get it done, but you can't sit around and make excuses for why your life sucks or come here and complain about the rest of the world being dumb for not agreeing with you when you're part of the problem and not any of the solution.  SLC is sadly everything he complains about others being, and can't see it at all.

Again, not everyone has lived the buzz experience. We can't compare our lives to everyone else because lives and situations are not the same.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, I know every destitute or homeless person I’ve ever met was in that position through no fault of their own. The heroin needle fell from the sky and landed in their arm. Budweiser erroneously put Dasani labels on their beer. It’s luck that you live in a town that has K-12 education and luck that the words printed in books happen to be scanned by your eyes. It’s luck that you show up to work on time and do what’s asked of you. I didn’t learn this until recently, but apparently immaculate conception happens with regular frequency and Planned Parenthood doesn’t exist in the urban sprawl.

It’s just luck 96% of the population is employed. 

When you’re this misinformed, it’s easy to understand why they’d run away when asked to provide a solution or even recite facts in an article they linked. They just think it’s luck they stumbled on an argument and it’s luck that no one else can read the same print as them.

If it’s all luck, they have no responsibility. Your career Buzz, you didn’t build that. Black Jesus said so.

You go off the reservation to blame "black Jesus." Even when you make a good point you undermine it with ugly partisan bullshit. Of course there are people responsible for their own situation, good and bad. And there are those who aren't.

BTW, CEO pay can directly hurt the economy, which I pointed out. If you want to defend terrible CEOs who rob their companies, screw the employees and hurt communities, that's fine. I don't share that point of view.

misterID

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I think one of the biggest threats to our economy is Amazon. The amount of lower end retail jobs it will demolish in the retail/sales/small business industry is a concern. And tbh, just like Walmart its especially moreso in small towns/middle America. In the more urban areas people might drive 5 or 10 minutes for an item or to shop for a new shirt etc, but in rural areas would they drive 20-30 minutes or just have it delivered in 3 days?

On the flip side tho, there's groceries and grocery deliveries, which is more feasible in urban areas so it would likely hurt supermarkets in bigger cities. And with that, less supermarket jobs, vacant anchor stores in strip malls and as anchor stores in strip malls go, the coattail stores tend to go with it, in addition to being affected by Amazon. In 10-15 years they're be a drastic change.

They really need a more significant internet sales tax. Also, to Randall's point, they need to ban commercial self driving vehicles and make it part of all global trade deals. India is doing it.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Pure ignorance.   I've never said a word about how much I make, only that I live comfortably.  Stop reading things that weren't said and focus  (for once) on what was.

That's why I said "group of insecure men." I was addressing them both, yourself included.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, I know every destitute or homeless person I’ve ever met was in that position through no fault of their own. The heroin needle fell from the sky and landed in their arm. Budweiser erroneously put Dasani labels on their beer. It’s luck that you live in a town that has K-12 education and luck that the words printed in books happen to be scanned by your eyes. It’s luck that you show up to work on time and do what’s asked of you. I didn’t learn this until recently, but apparently immaculate conception happens with regular frequency and Planned Parenthood doesn’t exist in the urban sprawl.

It’s just luck 96% of the population is employed. 

When you’re this misinformed, it’s easy to understand why they’d run away when asked to provide a solution or even recite facts in an article they linked. They just think it’s luck they stumbled on an argument and it’s luck that no one else can read the same print as them.

If it’s all luck, they have no responsibility. Your career Buzz, you didn’t build that. Black Jesus said so.

You go off the reservation to blame "black Jesus." Even when you make a good point you undermine it with ugly partisan bullshit. Of course there are people responsible for their own situation, good and bad. And there are those who aren't.

BTW, CEO pay can directly hurt the economy, which I pointed out. If you want to defend terrible CEOs who rob their companies, screw the employees and hurt communities, that's fine. I don't share that point of view.

Come on, it was kind of funny.

And I’m not supporting bad CEOs. Any CEO pulling in millions of dollars has a board and share holders to answer to. The idea of the idiot son running his dads company into the ground is a myth. 

To Buzz’s point, to attract top talent you need generous compensation. The salary of every CEO is public knowledge for every publicly traded company. Shareholders and the board seem to be ok with high compensation.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Well, that's the problem! They're not going to give a shit as long as the money isn't floated down to the employee salaries, but used to buy up company stock, making the board richer.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's not luck, son.  Everybody has opportunities in life.  If you're too lazy, busy gang-banging, doing drugs, or looking for your next hand out to notice them, that's your problem and not society's problem.  I saw mine and took full advantage of them.  That's smart, not luck. 

I started at a grocery store as a bagger at 18 (had been working since 14).  In a year I was running the receiving dept and in another year I was store manager (with the former manager reporting to me).  There's no luck in that.  I hated the guy that owned the store, but he taught me a very important lesson in life: work smarter, not harder.  I'm pretty damn lazy, yet ironically at work I have the reputation as the person they can give anything to and it will get done.  It's not because I work harder than everyone else; it's because I know how to get things done efficiently and not waste time on things that don't matter.  It's the same reason I can post here all day while keeping my job...they don't care how hard I work; just that my work gets done and it does.  That's not luck. 

I don't know everything, but I know what I know.  It's not quite I drink and I know things; I just know things.  I have always absorbed information quickly since I was a child.  It's not luck that I know things.  I pay attention to what is going on around me.  I learn from what is going on around me.  People come to me for advice because they know they can tell me anything and it will not be repeated.  It's amazing what you can learn by listening and paying attention to the world around you.  You don't have to work harder than everybody else; but you better be pretty sharp if you're not going to be a hard worker.

There are ways to get it done, but you can't sit around and make excuses for why your life sucks or come here and complain about the rest of the world being dumb for not agreeing with you when you're part of the problem and not any of the solution.  SLC is sadly everything he complains about others being, and can't see it at all.

Again, not everyone has lived the buzz experience. We can't compare our lives to everyone else because lives and situations are not the same.

There are a lot of ways to do it.  That's the point.  You don't have to be book smart.  You don't have to work hard.  You don't need common sense. You don't need a silver spoon. You don't need a college degree. You can get there any of those ways, but you don't need to be a superstar to get ahead. You just need to do something and you can't sit there doing nothing and expect it to be handed to you. 

Just by showing up every day and doing the bare minimum, you're ahead of many people.  You can come from any environment, culture, location, religion, sex, race, whatever and just do that and you're ahead of the game.  That isn't asking too much of someone. Just show up and do something while you're there.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Well, that's the problem! They're not going to give a shit as long as the money isn't floated down to the employee salaries, but used to buy up company stock, making the board richer.

You don't understand corporate America apparently.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Looks like Carter Page should have used an attorney.

This guy contradicted himself numerous times, provided multiple bombshells that implicated Sessions, Manafort, Junior, Trump etc and confirmed many aspects of the Steele dossier along the way. Most of all his testimony showed everybody was lying about their dealings with the Russians.

Board footer