You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

I don't think it was a swing to the left, liberals went out against Northam, even calling him a racist for not supporting sanctuary cities. They almost blew shit up in the last week. If it weren't for Trump his campaign could have legitimately sunk last week. There are some big red flags here. NPR had the same view this morning.

Dems won what they should have won. But they desperately needed a big win last night. They need to get their shit together.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think it was a swing to the left, liberals went out against Northam, even calling him a racist for not supporting sanctuary cities. They almost blew shit up in the last week. If it weren't for Trump his campaign could have legitimately sunk last week. There are some big red flags here. NPR had the same view this morning.

Dems won what they should have won. But they desperately needed a big win last night. They need to get their shit together.

I need to understand more about what you mean by this....Dems won what they should have won. It's just simply not that simple.

Republicans have all the momentum right now....Virgnia is a purple state, but it was the capitol of the confederacy for Christsake...it's not exactly a bastion of liberal thought and ideas. Virginia would be a very interesting case study...it seems me that today's Virginia is a far cry from what it was just decades ago.

And New Jersey....why was it such a 'sure thing' that a Dem could win the governorship there? Christie....once a formidable candidate for president, petered out so dramatically that his political career might be over. I even read that when Christie cast his vote yesterday for governor, he got into yet another verbal altercation with another voter/citizen of NJ.

So...I'd just really like to know why these were places where Dems should win. It seems like a fairly even battleground. I'll concede that I cannot and will not draw any large scale conclusions from this...but  I also don't feel as though these were shoe ins.

And yes, the Dems could easily screw up this momentum.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It is that simple, those are blue states Trump lost. It's gone Democrat the last three elections. They had no business losing those races.

And please stop calling it the capital of the Confederacy, that means absolutely zilch. Northern Virginia is very blue.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It is that simple, those are blue states Trump lost. It's gone Democrat the last three elections. They had no business losing those races.

And please stop calling it the capital of the Confederacy, that means absolutely zilch. Northern Virginia is very blue.

Why? It was....it's part of that state's history. I don't say it disparagingly....it's just that those are the roots of Virginia. Virginia had a Republican governor as recently as 2014.

All I"m trying to say is that it wasn't that simple.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Why? It was....it's part of that state's history. I don't say it disparagingly....it's just that those are the roots of Virginia. Virginia had a Republican governor as recently as 2014.

TN had a democratic Governor before Haslam. It happens. Virginia could have had a Republican Governor had it not been for Trump. There's a strong argument that Trump increased voter turnout for Dems.

It does feel like a snide remark. Virginia has been a pretty loyal Democratic state for 12 years, they have an advantage there. The state has been a victim of redistricting that hits the statehouse, but it is a strong blue state. I'm not impressed with Democratic leadership and there is a big fracture in the party.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

TN had a democratic Governor before Haslam. It happens. Virginia could have had a Republican Governor had it not been for Trump. There's a strong argument that Trump increased voter turnout for Dems.

It does feel like a snide remark. Virginia has been a pretty loyal Democratic state for 12 years, they have an advantage there. The state has been a victim of redistricting that hits the statehouse, but it is a strong blue state. I'm not impressed with Democratic leadership and there is a big fracture in the party.

I'm not impressed with Dem leadership either...Republicans lost this as much and Dems won it...can we at least agree on that?

The reason that Virginia was the capitol of the confederacy matters to me because it has deep roots in conservative ideology and history matters here, does it not? I would prefer that you didn't take any other meaning from it than that. As we've expressed a few times in this thread, Democrats in 1850 were the conservatives and Republicans were the progressives.

Hillary won by 6% and I think I could make a case that she may not have won it without having picked the VP candidate that she did. Top that with the fact that Virginia had a repub as governor as recently as 2014 (admittedly only for one term).

I almost put Virginia in the same category as North Carolina...a state whose demos have changed slowly but surely over time...those states imho opinion are swing states that should lean Repub. Obama won NC in 2008 but not in 2012.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No. Because this wasn’t a mid term and they didn’t win anything they weren’t supposed to. .

This is false. The Dems took seats in the VA legislature (and other places) that they absolutely weren't "supposed to."

“This is an unbelievable night,” said House Minority Leader David J. Toscano (D-Charlottesville) in an interview an hour after polls closed. “There were districts we didn’t think we had much of a shot in.”

Unofficial returns showed Democrats unseating at least a dozen Republicans and flipping three seats that had been occupied by GOP incumbents who did not seek reelection. Four other races were so close that they qualify for a recount, and the outcome will determine control of the chamber. The results marked the most sweeping shift in control of the legislature since Reconstruction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi … 4a342c0e7e

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Exit polling also showed that healthcare and guns were the voters top concerns in VA.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'm not impressed with Dem leadership either...Republicans lost this as much and Dems won it...can we at least agree on that?

The reason that Virginia was the capitol of the confederacy matters to me because it has deep roots in conservative ideology and history matters here, does it not? I would prefer that you didn't take any other meaning from it than that. As we've expressed a few times in this thread, Democrats in 1850 were the conservatives and Republicans were the progressives.

Hillary won by 6% and I think I could make a case that she may not have won it without having picked the VP candidate that she did. Top that with the fact that Virginia had a repub as governor as recently as 2014 (admittedly only for one term).

I almost put Virginia in the same category as North Carolina...a state whose demos have changed slowly but surely over time...those states imho opinion are swing states that should lean Repub. Obama won NC in 2008 but not in 2012

Oregon started out as a White Paradise, founded to be an all white state, meant to ban all people of color. I don't think that means anything now.

I will say 60% of Virginia want Confederate monuments protected, which they should be or moved to a private park, but voted Democratic, and like SLC said, healthcare was their main priority. It also shows going after identity politics will not work post Trump.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Dbl post

Board footer