You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Trump just said "I don't want to talk about pardons yet."

I bet you he pardons Flynn right around Christmas or NYE.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I don’t know this guy. However that questioning doesn’t mean he would be a shitty judge. There are many judges that know all those technical questions that are still shit judges. What I would look for with a judge is his JUDGMENT and his ability to follow the constitution. He will learn all those terms in no time. He seems like an intelligent guy. Obviously it would be great if he knew each answer. However I am not saying he would be a shitty judge.

Fair point, however there are alot of proceedings to court hearings as to what testimony should/shouldn't be included, what witnesses can be asked, what evidence can be allowed etc. Nuances.

Like the OJ case, idiot Lance Ito did not allow the Al Cowlings phone call, and the other week the Arizona police officer who executed the guy in the hotel hallway had "You're Fucked" on his assault rifle, but that was not allowed as evidence. Things like that where it can be a bit of a 'judgement call'. Its not all black & white.

You're right though in a way, terminology isn't the only thing, or the best thing. However I still say he should've been a bit better prepared for such a line of questioning. Don't you open up your old law school books or order a book online as a refresher?

Oh, I agree!  He just didn't seem like a bumbling idiot to me.. Just seemed like a guy that didn't memorize a bunch of terms because he had not been practicing law in that capacity.  I sure would like him to know all that.  But I think there are larger issues.  The main one being character etc.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think this week has been a good week for Trump.

The Tax bill is big for him, it will pass.

Roy Moore losing was a blessing in disguise for Trump.

The stock Market soaring, good thing.

The FCC thing is not good for Trump, but no damage has been done "Yet".

Omorosa leaving the white house, this too is likely a good thing.

The FBI Agent text messages becoming public, this is a very good thing for Trump.

Over all a good week for him honestly.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

^ fair point. I'm confused on the people who are "for" the net neutrality decision. I get a kick out of it. No one here I don't think, but I've seen on FB & Twitter people who are blindly saying its a good thing, gets the government out of it, and claiming Obama added un-needed regulations and government control to the internet. Which is essentially the complete opposite of what it was.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think this tax plan will be a success. There have been many last minute changes.

Students with loans are spared as are students that get a free education because their parents work at the school (vs paying tax on that tuition because they are receiving a benefit)

Top tax bracket does fall to 37% from 39.6% however the bracket falls from 1,000,000 to 600,000 so that is an INCREASE on people that earn $600,000-1,000,000 “I think”.

Rubio is now a yes because the child deduction has been increased from $1,100 to $2,000 (I think the $2,000 is right)

Corker just came out in support.

This thing is a DONE DEAL pretty much.

Small Businesses AND corporations big winners. Stock market should do well. Hopefully we start seeing more jobs and big equipment purchases which will again, lead to more jobs.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think this tax plan will be a success. There have been many last minute changes.

Students with loans are spared as are students that get a free education because their parents work at the school (vs paying tax on that tuition because they are receiving a benefit)

Top tax bracket does fall to 37% from 39.6% however the bracket falls from 1,000,000 to 600,000 so that is an INCREASE on people that earn $600,000-1,000,000 “I think”.

Rubio is now a yes because the child deduction has been increased from $1,100 to $2,000 (I think the $2,000 is right)

Small Businesses AND corporations big winners. Stock market should do well. Hopefully we start seeing more jobs and big equipment purchases which will again, lead to more jobs.

Personally, i cannot complain...BUT the republicans can never again complain about budget deficits.

For me...I’m an LLC, so that’s what they call a ‘pass-through.’ My tax rate becomes 23 percent- i believe it’s currently 35. 12 percent is an absurd tax reduction.

Actual corporations like ‘S-corps’ will go down to 21 as opposed to the 35.

I personally am a huge winner but i fear greatly for the last Big term consequences.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Trump just said "I don't want to talk about pardons yet."

I bet you he pardons Flynn right around Christmas or NYE.

And fire Mueller after the tax plan is passed...

If those both go down, we're in the middle of a constitutional crisis IMO.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I personally am a huge winner but i fear greatly for the last Big term consequences.

Big term consequences for this country would be an understatement. Short term WS gains, and long term wins for those who need it least. All while cutting the safety net for the most vulnerable Americans, millions of children without healthcare. It's immoral and as I said prior, it will hurt us when we come up on the next recession. What are the going to do? Cut taxes again? But that's the GOP ideology for you: Always cuts taxes and always more guns. Regardless of what's going on all around them.

And what happened to the fiscal conservatives? ha, nowhere to be seen...UNTIL the tax bill passes, and then they say we can't afford entitlements anymore. Anybody who is middle class that was stupid enough to vote for Trump/GOP deserves everything they get IMO. What's sad are the people who did not, who will pay the price in the long run for this craziness.

Between this tax bill and the clear intent to fire Mueller, they're hell bent on turning us into a banana republic.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Personally, i cannot complain...BUT the republicans can never again complain about budget deficits.

For me...I’m an LLC, so that’s what they call a ‘pass-through.’ My tax rate becomes 23 percent- i believe it’s currently 35. 12 percent is an absurd tax reduction.

Actual corporations like ‘S-corps’ will go down to 21 as opposed to the 35.

I am an LLC that now files as an S Corp, we need to grow our business and in turn pay more taxes but at a lower percentage. This is a gamble but I like our chances

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/deutsche-b … 1513364009

Deutsche Bank Was Asked for Information on Transactions Potentially Linked to Michael Flynn

It's gonna go down.

Board footer