You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Not digging the timing of it. I feel I've been on record of saying I was not at all a fan of Tillerson/ex-Exxon CEO being our Sec of State, however 14 months later he's done a good job & been one of the better cabinet & appointees overall (over Priebus, Bannon, Kush).

Gotta wonder if behind the scenes Tillerson disagreed with Trumps meeting with NK, or if he felt Trump was woefully unprepared for it, just a knucklehead out there. Look at his gun statements, then 2 weeks later 180s. The guys not an intellectual whatsoever.

I think NKs gonna be a train wreck of a photo op, where nothing, no progress gets achieved. We'll see. Anyway whatever, one thing is certain, the amount of turnover in this WH is astonishing.

Well, for the conspiracy theorists: Rex did just come out hard against Russia yesterday about the spy poisoning in Britain.

He also had a pretty bleak take on the relationship with Russia and talked openly of them being more aggressive. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/tillers … ussia.html

Fair enough, but I’m guessing this had more to do with NK and Tillerson’s opposition to a meeting between Trump and Kim. Britain hasn’t retaliated or even formally accused Putin, so assuming this is a move because of that is unlikely considering Tillerson and Trump’s obvious disagreement over NK. But we shall see

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Not digging the timing of it. I feel I've been on record of saying I was not at all a fan of Tillerson/ex-Exxon CEO being our Sec of State, however 14 months later he's done a good job & been one of the better cabinet & appointees overall (over Priebus, Bannon, Kush).

Gotta wonder if behind the scenes Tillerson disagreed with Trumps meeting with NK, or if he felt Trump was woefully unprepared for it, just a knucklehead out there. Look at his gun statements, then 2 weeks later 180s. The guys not an intellectual whatsoever.

I think NKs gonna be a train wreck of a photo op, where nothing, no progress gets achieved. We'll see. Anyway whatever, one thing is certain, the amount of turnover in this WH is astonishing.

Well, for the conspiracy theorists: Rex did just come out hard against Russia yesterday about the spy poisoning in Britain.

He also had a pretty bleak take on the relationship with Russia and talked openly of them being more aggressive. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/tillers … ussia.html

Fair enough, but I’m guessing this had more to do with NK and Tillerson’s opposition to a meeting between Trump and Kim. Britain hasn’t retaliated or even formally accused Putin, so assuming this is a move because of that is unlikely considering Tillerson and Trump’s obvious disagreement over NK. But we shall see

Pompeo also recognizes Russia meddling in our election.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Their disagreements have been months in the making, but NK seems to be most likely.

Still, I find this poisoning in the UK stunning. A Soviet-developed nerve agent was used in a public space, sending 21 to the hospital and exposing dozens of others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr … 46566.html

"Britain gave President Vladimir Putin until midnight on Tuesday to explain how a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union was used to strike down a former Russian double agent who passed secrets to British intelligence."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit … SKCN1GP0PG

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

How can a democrat run on raising taxes, though? I do think there's room if you run on restricting automation and (smart) entitlement reform and balancing the budget.

If it were me I'd have to start touting junk food taxes, legalized marijuana tax, and a carbon tax. Bad news, inflation will rise also. It's another reason you can't touch those tax cuts.

Universal healthcare and free college is a non starter. Democrats will lose on those because there's no way to run on it without saying you're going to raise taxes, and not just on the rich. Public option, yes, I think that could work along with price negotiations for big pharma and medical.

If they think they can win on Russia or guns pack it in. Especially if there continues to be economic growth.

Maybe, but the GOP is going to remind everyone that Russia started meddling in 2014 and Obama, the democrat, did nothing, waiting until the last few weeks of his presidency to expel a few diplomats as his only response. Combined with how much Democrats laughed at Republicans for seeing Russia as a threat for the past 10 years and absolute silence since the election, it’s a hard case to make.

Guns is a losing issue in my opinion. Not because there isn’t plenty of support, but because Democrats go full retard on the issue and never propose anything that would actually lower crime rates and general ignorance of firearms. Background checks are great. Running on a platform to ban all guns or “do something” isn’t.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:

Their disagreements have been months in the making, but NK seems to be most likely.

Still, I find this poisoning in the UK stunning. A Soviet-developed nerve agent was used in a public space, sending 21 to the hospital and exposing dozens of others.

"Britain gave President Vladimir Putin until midnight on Tuesday to explain how a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union was used to strike down a former Russian double agent who passed secrets to British intelligence."

What can they do?  Roughly 20% of their oil and 30% of the UK’s coal comes from Russia.

Sanctions are great, but the EU collectively don’t do anything. The Iran deal was never a real threat because the EU is dependent on them for energy. Same with Russia.

I agree, this behavior is unacceptable. But what is a realistic solution?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What can they do?  Roughly 20% of their oil and 30% of the UK’s coal comes from Russia.

Sanctions are great, but the EU collectively don’t do anything. The Iran deal was never a real threat because the EU is dependent on them for energy. Same with Russia.

I think I'm more in awe of how brazen this was, even for Russia. I don't know what the UK could do on their own. But it seems like Russia is still all-in on this Cold War stuff and we have Trump giving Putin BJs.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I think I'm more in awe of how brazen this was, even for Russia. I don't know what the UK could do on their own. But it seems like Russia is still all-in on this Cold War stuff and we have Trump giving Putin BJs.

Because Russia is all in. While we fight over pettiness and fake stories, which Russia designed, they’re building up.

But as NK showed us, the West has no stomach for conflict. Look at what people in our country consider important. Look at what makes the front page. There’s a general weakness that is present in the west that isn’t present in Russia or China. Russia took over two countries and the west did nothing. It’ll be the same with this.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is a wild card. This isn’t Obama. Fuck around enough on Trump and he will do something but I don’t think he is a hawk either looking for war.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is a wild card. This isn’t Obama. Fuck around enough on Trump and he will do something but I don’t think he is a hawk either looking for war.

I imagine he'll do nothing with Russia. Has he even said anything remotely critical about them?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I imagine he'll do nothing with Russia. Has he even said anything remotely critical about them?

Today he did say it appears Russia was involved in the UK nerve agent attack on former spies

Board footer