You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 128 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I agree with you. The same applies to the US. America shouldn’t import a single drop of fuel if it’s exporting fuel. Same for Canada. Canadians should come before Americans in Canada.

It should if the product can be made cheaper and better somewhere else...

This is such a bizarre turn of events within the argument. It sounds like you don't believe in free trade unless it benefits you...but there's always a loser in a market when one product is inferior.

So if we have a good product from Oregon and one that is not so good in Minnesota....the product from Minnesota loses out in a free market. It sounds like if Canada makes the superior product...then free markets down matter anymore.


I know you hate your hometown and all, but those are the people who make your cars, manage your dairys, and mine your coal or gas. They need jobs too. If union jobs can’t compete with foreign goods at a modest surcharge to prevent Chinese or Mexican workers who earn pennies on the dollar from making a superior product, they should go away.

But I’d like to know what products you find superior in Canada that aren’t worth a modest tariff to keep your fellow Americans employed. If Canada only makes rocking chairs and the US only makes benches, work out a tariff free deal. But our oil and gasoline is fine. Europe is beginning to buy large amounts of our shale oil because they’ve learned how to refine it.  But considering how much other western nations benefit from our military, we should rarely be running trade deficits with them.

And we shouldn’t allow other nations to control our primary production materials like metal or circuitry. What happens if China or Russia makes a move that legitimately threatens our safety. What if we had to go to war. And out of fear, betrayal or disagreement, our allies whom we’ve allowed to sell us these products to the detriment of our own production capabilities and workers, withheld that material? If you say “good, fuck America”, there’s nothing left for us to discuss. But if you think America should be able to handle its own domestic production, you have to draw a line when trade prevents that.

What do you think Europe is doing with the EU? What do you think China has been doing for the past 40 years?  What do you think bankrupted the Soviet Union because they were incredibly inept and corrupt? The answer is build the capabilities to protect your nation on its own and provide a high standard of living for your people.  That’s why the US won the Cold War and was the sole super power. But we’ve sacrificed a lot of independence to the detriment of our own people. 

Trade isn’t bad. It’s great for so many things. But we need a level playing field. We don’t have that. And our government owes it to every citizen to put their needs above everyone else. That’s how this whole thing works, and it’s what everyone else is doing.

I dunno Flagg...if your product needs a tariff to be successful then by definition it’s inferior in the market place. It’s realky that simple isn’t it?

From what i understand...it’s economic dependence on each other that prevents war. Isolationist douche bags like Trump will use stuff like this to consolidate power and whattaya know....another war is just around the corner. A big one this time. Not those minor skirmishes in Iraq...

In any case...any product that needs a tarriff to compete is an inferior one. By definition...so when your precious inferior American products hit those shelves and you find out they’re more expensive...won’t that just be SO FUCKING MAGA.

Trump, Putin and now Kim...the new world order of communists and Trump....

Beyond stupid SG...you’ve turned your back on Democratic nations because you like president douche bag running his mouth. Go read a book...i know you don’t have too many in Alabama...this is very similar to how WWII started...

So fucking MAGA?!?!

mitchejw
 Rep: 128 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What about all the people employed because of international trade? Those jobs would get cut and those people would be SOL?

Freed trade creates jobs and broadens the scope of fair market value...i treat anything us made and canadian made as pretty much even quality...we arent a 3rd would country u know or a bunch out backwoods hillbillies wearing touques haha

I wasn’t saying you are. Mitch made the suggestion that something (presumably fuel) was superior from Canada. I share your sentiment in terms of quality, so I genuinely want to know.

My understanding is that Canada has a superior logging industry than the US. It doesn’t matter if I’m right, but it serves as the example to my point. Lumber is an important resource. If Canada has a surplus of lumber that the US needs, fine, sell away. But if people start to buy Canadian lumber at the loss of US lumber, we need to talk. Is it because Canadians have a more efficient model? Is it because Canadian lumber has an unfair advantage, from say government subsidies?  If it’s the former, the US needs to redesign its laws to allow lumber to compete. If American unions demand $40 an hour and benefits and Canadians do it for $25, the American market needs a wake up. But if it’s something else that unfairly disadvantages US workers, the federal government needs to step in to level the playing field. Capitalism and free trade only work on a level field.

It’s the same reason we should put seasonal tariffs on Mexican produce when American farms can make and sell the same item. If it’s the middle of winter, Buy all the tariff free oranges you want. But in the summer, American oranges should be preferable to another country’s.

This is most apparent with China and microprocessors. We’ve allowed them to take over at the detriment of our own manufacturing abilities. Sure, intel designs them here, but they’re made abroad. That’s not intelligent trade, and if we need to create tariffs or provide subsidies for our own domestic production, I’m all for that.

Dude cmon man...American cars a crap...isn’t ford or Chevy discontinuing everything but trucks and SUVs soon?

What you’re gonna end up with is a bunch of low paying/ low skill jobs that no one is going to want here anyway.

I can’t believe you can’t theorize how this could only be at best a wash situation. Tons of jobs will be lost and many of the jobs that we get will be vacant because Americans will not work hard for shit pay.

Good jobs require skills...and if you’ve chosen to neither gain skills nor work hard...we’re going to change our whole economy around for low skilled lazy white workers?!

Jesus fuck this country has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 329 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

mitchejw
 Rep: 128 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Nah it’s not...unless you’re a big fan of communist dictatorships SG? Seems like it...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 329 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Nah it’s not...unless you’re a big fan of communist dictatorships SG? Seems like it...

You mad, bro?

mitchejw
 Rep: 128 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Nah it’s not...unless you’re a big fan of communist dictatorships SG? Seems like it...

You mad, bro?

Yup...you add little to this conversation except your slobbering over every little thing Trump says.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Trump shook hands with a dude who killed his uncle with anti-aircraft gun and fed his remains to dogs and killed his brother-in-law via a nerve agent in a foreign country and told him it was a great honor to be with him.

I feel great again.

mitchejw
 Rep: 128 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Trump shook hands with a dude who killed his uncle with anti-aircraft gun and fed his remains to dogs and killed his brother-in-law via a nerve agent in a foreign country and told him it was a great honor to be with him.

I feel great again.

That’s the spirit bigbri...that’s it...no matter what happens...now matter how bad he gets...it’s always MAGA...

misterID
 Rep: 468 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seriously, this is a great day for the world. Hopefully it leads to something positive.

Trump shook hands with a dude who killed his uncle with anti-aircraft gun and fed his remains to dogs and killed his brother-in-law via a nerve agent in a foreign country and told him it was a great honor to be with him.

I feel great again.

Truman/ FDR shook hands and stood with Stalin who was not only worse than Kim Jong Un but was worse than Hitler. Obama shook hands with Castro. Reagan sold weapons to Iran that were eventually used against us. We can go on and on, it's what a president's do.

I think he's a dolt, but this should have happened under Obama. For some reason he punted.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 329 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sounds like a good start in Singapore.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB