You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: South American tour has begun

apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Those are the MSNBC talking points for sure. Trump said some stupid stuff.  But tell me one racist thing he said.

Before or during the election?

A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market…if I was starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I really do believe they have the actual advantage today. -src

Either he was completely deluded about the standing of African-Americans in 1989, or he was just taking the piss at their expense by saying they have a better shot at advancing their social standing than their caucasian peers. Still, he was suggesting people from another ethnic group had it better off - those sorts of comments are borderline racist as such (depending how well-informed he was about the grassroots reality at the time), and some down-on-their-luck caucasians undoubtedly took it into heart, which, in turn, fanned the flames of racial tension.

Smoking Guns wrote:

And on the Mexican speech that was poor but he said we get some rapists and murders from Mexico and some are good people. It was foolish, and partially true. But he didn't say all Mexicans were bad. But said some bad ones come to the US.

His sentiment was that the Mexican immigrants are rapists, killers and whatnot. Basically, the low end of their society, insinuating that the government of Mexico ships off their undesirables north of the border en masse. Thus, all Mexican immigrants were labelled in his speeches. Condemning all immigrants is just as reprehensible than condemning the whole of Mexico. Funny enough, he failed to acknowledge the same could be said about the European immigrants who moved to the US back in the day and took the land away from Native Americans, leading to segregation and genocide.

He was tact enough to avoid saying anything undeniably and explicitly racist during his campaign, I'll give him that. By this I mean, we can split hairs and argue about whether his stance was, in fact, as condemning and condescending as it sounded like to some. However, he full well knew those comments spurred hatred in his supporters, just like those Central Park Five comments. He's a full-blown agitator, carefully walking the line while whipping his audiences into a frenzy. Advocating intolerance is racism as such, and if people feel his words justify them to physically attack other racial groups, it's his burden to shoulder, as he's seen as an example of conduct - now more than ever.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think Trump is a racist, but says silly things. And we do have an immigration issue, but I agree he went about it the wrong way.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think Trump is a racist, but says silly things.

Yeah, I'm also on the fence on whether he, deep down, has any issue with people from different backgrounds. But he knew the immigrant card would win him votes, and that most of the punters he'd infuriate would've never voted him, anyway. However, he tapped into a deep-seated fear in people; many of whom (or whose parents) still remember the 60's. That's reckless, because it's like playing with matches next to a powder keg, and ethically, it's a pretty rotten thing to do.

And that stuff about grabbing women... Locker room talk for the ladies. The arrogance in those words of his is what got to me.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

What`s the problem ? they beat an effigy ? big fucking deal 14

Some of you were triggered for no reason at all. This publicity stunt was more interesting than the entire tour.

Board footer