You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

Re: Song Idea for GNR

DtM51 wrote:

Maybe Angus has gotten in Axl's ear and will do promotion more in line with how AC/DC does it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Seeing how a lot of Axls work is inspired by world events, example; Civil War, I think the events of the last couple years, and 2016 especially are filled with fuel for lyrics.

The 21st century has been filled with fuel for lyrics. Hell....just the Bush era alone was chock full of fuel.

That's one of the fucked up things regarding how much time was spent on CD.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Don't worry, Axl's timely tribute to the Oklahoma City Bombings will be on the next record.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Nearly all of brett favre's nfl career was in between the release of uyi's and cd 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

johndivney wrote:

Axl is done with GnR. It's over. This is a(nother) nostalgia tour.
If this ever stops selling he'll retire. & honestly even if he stays with ac/dc for the foreseeable future there's no way to say the arrangement will sustain beyond that again, he could just retire completely.

Even if he is open to the idea of actually collaborating with Slash & Duff on GnR, you'd have think they'd have gotten around to something. The priority is touring & that has been said by the management & promoters & the actions of the band.

The priority is touring because at this point, new material would be a wasted PR opportunity. In the modern music industry, touring is where artists make their money; recorded material exists mainly as a promotional tool for the tour.

At the moment, the tour sells itself. People are queuing up to buy tickets to see Axl, Slash and Duff share the stage for the first time in decades. That's enough. They haven't even taken the tour on a full round-the-world trip yet; there's still Asia, Australasia and Europe to go before they've come close to running out of steam.

New material at this point would be a wasted investment; it wouldn't do anything to boost the ticket sales for the tour because they're already selling like hot cakes, and it'd rob them of the opportunity to promote a future leg of the tour with new material. The very, very earliest we could see new material would be the end of 2017, when the NITL tour has run its course – and even then, all they'd need to do is drop a couple of songs on a Best Of compilation. That may suck for fans, but it's cold hard economics talking – the same reason we're not seeing Izzy take the stage with them.

I too feel the urgency of advancing years, and the annoyance that their back catalogue is so scanty for a band of their stature. But I'm confident that we will see new material in future, even if we have to wait.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree in a sense...I mean obviously this tour will sell on it's own merits, but I also can't help but look to the examples of others that packaged a reunion album that went gangbusters with the tour. Ac/Dc's "Black Ice" era for example.

GNR don't HAVE to do this, like they don't HAVE to vary the setlist live and they don't HAVE to shell out to have Matt or Izzy or anyone.

It just seems they always do the minimum needed these days, which isn't what the band used to be like. Once they did crazy stuff like release UYI 1 and 2 together on the same day. These days it seems if we can get away with having less we always do. It just doesn't feel vital to me anymore. I love the music, and I know money has always been part of the equation with these things, but there's something not quite right about all this at the moment too. Something about the way it is being handled is bothering me. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ It still seems quite "business like" the relationship between Axl and the others. 

You could obviously argue that's good for a change - given anything the Lebeis' have their snout in is usually the furtherest thing from business like.

But I mean it in the sense of the vibe and motivation for the reunion.  Unsurprisingly it looks like it's about $$'s and that's it.  Making an artistic statement and expressing their musical talents and unity via new music etc etc seems a very very low priority, or flat out not even of interest.

Given the years of life experience they have all had since they last wrote together I thought there might be some creativity they are just busting to share with their fans.  But sadly it doesn't appear so.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Exactly.

You want the band to know what we know - that they will never find others as perfectly suited for their styles as each other - that the chemistry between the old band is 1 in a billion, that it's a work of fate, god, the universe, chance or just magical that they found each other growing up and it happened.

But instead there's a sense that rather than appreciate that themselves - what they really know is that *we* think that.

Axl even said the DJ/Bumble band was his favourite incarnation of the line up recently.

It breaks my heart to say it....but Unlike Black Ice or an album like that which came about because the founders had the desire to work together again, and when they did they recaptured that special something....and they still had something to say....

so far the way things are rolling in this camp just feels like this came about for finance....like Axl realised the only way to keep the lifestyle he wanted with promoters was to call Slash....and Slash realised that after his divorce it would make the best sense for his career to stop letting others tarnish his back catalogue.

I pray that I'm wrong and something else artistic happens sooner or later. But there's something very cynical about the way everything is executed to me sadly.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The deadline for me is Fall 2017.

If we don't hear about the idea of new music by then, it's never coming.

I don't buy the economics of music argument. Springsteen makes bank and he records while touring, releases new music every 2 years, and repeats.

Axl seemed to have some sort of ambitious machiavellian plan releasing 3 albums back in 2001, now he has everything he needs to actually do it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Axl seemed to have some sort of ambitious machiavellian plan releasing 3 albums back in 2001, now he has everything he needs to actually do it.

Indeed. And I still believe he has the skills and the ability.

God there's marvels he could do. Even the CD songs remixed with Slash and Duff would be interesting to me....which seems absurd save for that they were already doing remixes with DJ and brain and so on so it's not like those songs are necessarily untouchable.

Moreover...while I know CD was a controversial album...to me melody wise and lyrics wise...I loved Axl's parts a lot.

I believe as an artist he would still have gas in the tank.

I just don't understand why they don't pull the trigger.

I mean I'd bet the vault is full of interesting stuff, and if not, it's not like that Ac/Dc fronting Axl and modern shredgod Slash couldn't make something amazing if they wanted to.

I take Axl at his word that he said he does want to release music one day. I just hope that day comes soon...before my health or theirs gives out.

Board footer