You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Axl had more leverage to an extent. If Slash doesn't take it,

Exactly.

I agree with SG that without Slash the band would be heading towards theatres by now...but at the same time it's not like Axl isn't the type to cut off his nose to spite his face if anyone demands too much. It was totally realistic to me that he'd just retire after the 2012 band ended.

In a way Slash lost the war when he called for peace in 2004. It just took Axl another 10 years to forgive him.

Imagine if beta had let Slash into the house that night....we'd have had this reunion around the time of Axl's 2006 voice...and when the album came out in 2008 it would have had Slash. Good work #team brazil in preventing that 4

I don't think Slash would have been back even if Beta let him in. At that point, Axl was still focused on his CD vision. Slash was still with Perla and had some drug and booze issues that would not have vibed with Axl. So much would have gone wrong. Maybe in 09 Slash could have joined instead of DJ. Axl started to coast back then and wasn't on fire with his vision the way he was before Robin left. He literally looked like he didn't give a shit. Perhaps Slash got Axl at the best moment for him, also.

One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

Yes 28%
No 72%
Total votes: 25
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think Slash would have been back even if Beta let him in. At that point, Axl was still focused on his CD vision.

I wonder though.

It's interesting to ponder what Axl's views were in 2004.

Like in 2002 he was full blown rapper/sports jersy mode.

But by 2006 he'd moved his look closer back to classic rock with the ripped jeans/shirts mode. Robin grew a beard and stopped most of his NiN type outfits, and bumble's dressing was rock oriented too. The whole thing had radically altered from the visual style of the 2002 band.

In 2008 the album came out and although it does have some Shackler's type stuff overall it was much more rock than I was expecting considering Axl's talk about moving into new sounds. Interestingly some of the more pitman type stuff seems to be the ones that were dropped too. Like OMG and Silkworms (although it's back to rock now - but it wasn't when they did it in 2001)

Then by 2009 Axl had lost the braids and was cultivating a more UYI era look and when DJ left he replaced him with an outright Slash copycat.

To me it's almost like Axl was into a new idea for the band from like 1998-2002 - but when that went balls up - he's kinda been in classic-rock mode since 2006 and getting more and more like the original band at every chance.

Slash was still with Perla and had some drug and booze issues that would not have vibes with Axl. So much would have gone wrong. Maybe in 09 Slash could have joined instead of DJ. Axl started to coast back then and wasn't on fire with his vision the way he was before Robin left. He literally looked like he didn't give a shit. Perhaps Slash got Axl at the best moment for him, also.

I agree perla would be a problem for sure.

As for Slash drinking...maybe...but then Axl was doing a bit of partying too it seemed.

What's curious to me was the difference between 2009 and 2010.

I felt like Axl did give a shit in 2009 - he was doing CD heavy setlists and songs he'd not done live before on the asian tour. But by 2010 it was back to the mostly AFD setlist...then shit went massively downhill in 2012.

IT would be interesting to know more of his mindset sometimes...what happens during those breaks that changes his outlook.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

same as Matt Sorum. both these guys were great drummers in their respective eras, but as a personalities, they are a wasted idiot and a douche.

It's beyond me why fans think this about Sorum.

He's too honest is his only problem.

Duff called him negative in the VR doco when he didn't think a bunch of mail order singers were VR worthy. But time showed he was spot on - the band succeeded with Scott due to his STP pedigree.

He had a fight with Axl when Paul Huge was insulting Slash behind his back. He complained that Slash was many times the guitarist Huge was. Once again he was right.

He admitted that he fucked a bunch of hookers in sick and gross ways. Never mind that almost every other celebrity has done the same or worse.

But for these 3 reasons he's endlessly called a dick.

Even though he somehow manages to be friends with some of the top rock stars in the world with Camp Freddy, Kings of Chaos....and all his other bands...hell was has playing with Slash and Duff only like 2 years ago.

For a dick he seems to have a lot of friends and does a lot of charity work.

I'm sick of him being badmouthed. He's one of the greatest rock drummers ever and plays on 3 GNR records, 2 VR records and Snakepit 1.

The guy deserves so much more respect than he gets from GNR fans.

Long story short, he poked his nose where it did n`t belong.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think Slash would have been back even if Beta let him in. At that point, Axl was still focused on his CD vision.

I wonder though.

It's interesting to ponder what Axl's views were in 2004.

Like in 2002 he was full blown rapper/sports jersy mode.

But by 2006 he'd moved his look closer back to classic rock with the ripped jeans/shirts mode. Robin grew a beard and stopped most of his NiN type outfits, and bumble's dressing was rock oriented too. The whole thing had radically altered from the visual style of the 2002 band.

In 2008 the album came out and although it does have some Shackler's type stuff overall it was much more rock than I was expecting considering Axl's talk about moving into new sounds. Interestingly some of the more pitman type stuff seems to be the ones that were dropped too. Like OMG and Silkworms (although it's back to rock now - but it wasn't when they did it in 2001)

Then by 2009 Axl had lost the braids and was cultivating a more UYI era look and when DJ left he replaced him with an outright Slash copycat.

To me it's almost like Axl was into a new idea for the band from like 1998-2002 - but when that went balls up - he's kinda been in classic-rock mode since 2006 and getting more and more like the original band at every chance.

Slash was still with Perla and had some drug and booze issues that would not have vibes with Axl. So much would have gone wrong. Maybe in 09 Slash could have joined instead of DJ. Axl started to coast back then and wasn't on fire with his vision the way he was before Robin left. He literally looked like he didn't give a shit. Perhaps Slash got Axl at the best moment for him, also.

I agree perla would be a problem for sure.

As for Slash drinking...maybe...but then Axl was doing a bit of partying too it seemed.

What's curious to me was the difference between 2009 and 2010.

I felt like Axl did give a shit in 2009 - he was doing CD heavy setlists and songs he'd not done live before on the asian tour. But by 2010 it was back to the mostly AFD setlist...then shit went massively downhill in 2012.

IT would be interesting to know more of his mindset sometimes...what happens during those breaks that changes his outlook.

06 was a funny thing. He was desperately trying to get Bucket back, up til the eleventh hour... Literally. I don't think it was more of a musical thing. In 02 he rolled out of "Axl's world" to do the tour he didn't want to do, and it didn't look like his social life really went any further than team Brazil. No parties, not chicks. In 04 he started going out again. I think his personal life was going well and he wanted to be out there.

Yeah, 09 GN'R would have been cool with Slash. And most likely we would have gotten CD II. But the mindset thing is pretty combustible. What the hell happened to lead to the meltdown for Axl in 12? Was it Sasha? Robin? Something happened much like in 02 when he literally packed it in.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'll badmouth him, thank you kindly.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This is the kind of shit that makes me dislike Sorum.

"then I got the wrath of Mr. Scott Weiland - skinny little guy as he is. He's the kind of guy that would drive by you in a car and shout out some shit to you, and then he's got three buddies in there - and then run. It's like, ' Fuck you too, pal!' You know? If I saw him right now he'd probably be running down an alley way. He knows I'm twice his size."

Interestingly, Sorum has done a 180 when it comes to another former bandmate, Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose. "I actually have a newfound liking and love for Axl Rose," Sorum says. "I've said a couple of bad things about Axl, and I think they've come back to bite me. The one thing I know about Axl Rose, as much as a dick as he was at times, the stadium was usually sold out! A little difference between [Scott Weiland and Axl Rose]. I'm talking 50,000 not 5,000. I could deal with that. A jet, I'm not talking just a Jet, a 727, my own limo and a guy to carry my shit."

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

funny. is this some kind of competition by Sorum and Adler, who can crawl deeper in Axl's ass? thank god he doesn't give a shit. the band's drummer is Frank Ferrer, simple as that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:

funny. is this some kind of competition by Sorum and Adler, who can crawl deeper in Axl's ass? thank god he doesn't give a shit. the band's drummer is Frank Ferrer, simple as that.

The band's drummer may be a cool dude. But he is a shitty drummer.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This is the kind of shit that makes me dislike Sorum.

"then I got the wrath of Mr. Scott Weiland - skinny little guy as he is. He's the kind of guy that would drive by you in a car and shout out some shit to you, and then he's got three buddies in there - and then run. It's like, ' Fuck you too, pal!' You know? If I saw him right now he'd probably be running down an alley way. He knows I'm twice his size."

Interestingly, Sorum has done a 180 when it comes to another former bandmate, Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose. "I actually have a newfound liking and love for Axl Rose," Sorum says. "I've said a couple of bad things about Axl, and I think they've come back to bite me. The one thing I know about Axl Rose, as much as a dick as he was at times, the stadium was usually sold out! A little difference between [Scott Weiland and Axl Rose]. I'm talking 50,000 not 5,000. I could deal with that. A jet, I'm not talking just a Jet, a 727, my own limo and a guy to carry my shit."

big_smile

It's lucky Axl has never said anything unfortunate about his bandmates or you might want him out of GNR too lol

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

In all seriousness though...to me it's just that Matt calls out the truth and people don't wanna hear it.

Maybe he's not subtle...but what has he said that's wrong?

Fact:

*Paul Huge saying Slash sounds bad as a guitarist is absurd. Slash is one of the greatest of his entire generation at minimum.

* Scott Weiland, who must have weighted about 110lbs back in that era, would not be scary if he came up to someone and tried to physically intimidate them. I have a lot of love for scott, but he's not exactly a jock stuff guy is he.

* Axl's problems caused Riots and all kinds of hell on the UYI tour. Yet despite that matt says that he always sold out stadiums and is one of the great rock frontmen..

I mean they may be some hard truths....but it's not wrong....frankly he's a straight talker which is refreshing in GNR's world of lies and doublespeak and excuses.

Board footer