You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

dalethirsty wrote:

the axl i know would want to "bury chinese."

with all the bullshit, negativity, rumor & innuendo surrounding that album... you'd think he would want to wipe that out of everyone's memory with an inspired return to form.

i don't think axl wants to be remembered as the failed solo artist who was forced to get back with slash just to be relevant and profitable again... or is the money enough for him to laugh his way to the bank and call it a career?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

i don't think axl wants to be remembered as the failed solo artist who was forced to get back with slash just to be relevant and profitable again...

I don't think he sees it that way though. He isn't hiding from Chinese era at all - the band plays it each night - he constantly reminds us fortus has been in the band 16 years - and he said in his most recent interview that the bumble line up was his personal favourite.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i feel like that's just a self-conscious axl trying to save face.

as nuts as he is, there's no possible way that his favorite incarnation of guns n fuckin roses is one with bumblefoot.

if he said the 2002 lineup, i might buy it... but that is just axl trying to convince himself he wasn't just treading water for the past decade of his life.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, the Bumble era was a major step down, but the DJ era was just soul crushing. That era only held my interest at the possibility of getting CD II. Axl has zero issue re-recording tracks. Who knows now. The irony was that Ashba almost got us the album in 2015. Slash gave us a much better band, but a hazy future in regards to new music.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I thought bumble era was an improvement over 2002 to be honest.

Bucket is a cool guitarist but his image looked way out of place in GNR.

Bumble and the 2006 line up seemed more believable as the continuation of GNR's image - like real rockers.

What was a step down was the DJ era.

DJ seemed to be a nice guy but didn't come off as authentic on stage in Slash's role.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It makes sense from Axl's perspective. It was a long standing, supportive band who toured the world and went through many highs and low's together.

monkeychow wrote:

Bucket is a cool guitarist but his image looked way out of place in GNR.

I hate this with the fire of a thousand suns. The guy's one of the best guitarists of all time but eh, fuck em, he dresses like an late 70s serial killer. In the entertainment industry. For a band that used to wear makeup, hoop earrings, and leather exclusively. He was, if anything, too good for Gn'R.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

He was, if anything, too good for Gn'R.

and also way, way too insane.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

2002 was a circus starting with Axl

Bumble was an amazing player but lacked the "rock" swagger and attitude Slash had. Fortus was under used. Finck was better in 2006. I saw that band 2 times live. The show in Vegas 2001 I think was outstanding. At the hardrock.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl saying DJ/Ron lineup was his favourite is him being cordial to his employees nothing more.

They toured around the world for 5 years. DJ is a tool mostly but he was tolerable in 2010 in fact, I consider the entire 2010 tour live peak of so called " New Guns`".

I`m sure 2002 lineup was amazing in studio but they did n`t click live even though I enjoyed two gigs I saw.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I hate this with the fire of a thousand suns. The guy's one of the best guitarists of all time but eh, fuck em, he dresses like an late 70s serial killer. In the entertainment industry. For a band that used to wear makeup, hoop earrings, and leather exclusively. He was, if anything, too good for Gn'R.

He's a great guitarist but utterly wrong for GNR's old music which is what Axl ended up playing 90% of the time despite all the talk of educating the fan base into slowly accepting GNR as a progressive act or whatever.

His normal style of playing does not suit the AFD or UYI songs at all.

On top of that his gimmick is the bucket/raincoat/toys/numchucks which also seemed out of place in a classic rock band.

As a fellow guitarist I respect his skills on guitar but that doesn't make him the man for the job.

Board footer