You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

monkeychow wrote:

I kinda thing maybe there's nothing happening for him.

Like if you look at the themes of his records...

AFD seems to be true stories from their life on the streets.

Lies is kinda autobiographical too (you're crazy, one in a million, patience) about Axl's past.

UYI very much deals with the problems going on at the time - the pressures of fame, emotional loss etc.

CD is mostly lost love songs, a couple about fame politics and believing in yourself, lawsuits and the decisions etc.

They are all about what Axl did or was doing.

But you'd imagine his life now is relatively stable. He seems more positive mentally most of the time, there's not the massive dramas going down in his life, and he's already told most of his personal stories.

I'd hope he can write more songs like Catcher and Civil War that seem to be about his views on wider issues...but you'd imagine it might not happen quite as often.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I start to believe the rumours that Axl handed in an album in 2010 but was rejected by the label. It all makes sense.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I start to believe the rumours that Axl handed in an album in 2010 but was rejected by the label. It all makes sense.

I think that was supposedly 2012, if memory serves.

monkeychow wrote:

A fair point.

It's arguable how much of the remaining CD material has vocals and would probably be about the old band dissolution (Atlas, Jackie Chan). You wonder if Axl wrote new lyrics 2004-2006 since we know most if not all of his vocals were recorded much earlier.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Having Slash on CD II is Axl's golden ticket. He was wanting to renegotiate with the label, right? Slash is a very profitable weapon.

Lomax wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I think that was supposedly 2012, if memory serves.

monkeychow wrote:

A fair point.

It's arguable how much of the remaining CD material has vocals and would probably be about the old band dissolution (Atlas, Jackie Chan). You wonder if Axl wrote new lyrics 2004-2006 since we know most if not all of his vocals were recorded much earlier.

I don't know.
Labels don't reject material form an artist very often.
I can't think of any other artist/band I've ever heard of who had their album handed back to them with a little sticker on the back saying"Try Harder".
Label's are about the brand usually. And the GNR brand would either sink or sell an album.
Does that happen?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Oh yeah, happens more than you think. Neil Young, Prince, Iggy Pop, Gwen Stephani, etc. Van Halen was told by their label they wouldn't release another Gary Cherone album.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Label's are about the brand usually. And the GNR brand would either sink or sell an album.

I agree. It'd be interesting to know if it was rejected.

In my view, if CD2 has one song on it as good as "Better" it's marketable and worth releasing. If it's leads are "Oh My God" and "Silkworms" circa 2012...

If it was rejected, it could've been due to the music itself but just as likely it was due to the brand value and the way the market was trending at the time. The album was largely more of the same in Axl's own wards, DJ Ashba was the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses, and Axl fired his manager and was in the process of suing his former manager. This isn't exactly a recipe for operating in the black.

I think Axl left a couple of breadcrumbs with his "even if executives at the record company like it" and "it's about working with a producer" comments at the China Exchange. The label probably doesn't see much money to be made there. They know Axl is going to play hardball, they're not a young act, and they don't have a producer to pimp out on a near completed project. And to boot, now that Slash is back, Axl is holding all the cards.

You'll see it but I don't know if soon's the word.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is, if CD2 is already mostly recorded then the cost to the label of releasing anything would be a lot smaller, they'd just have to pay for mixing, mastering and promo...they'd save the entire recording cost process.

It's hard to believe they'd skip that - even a poorly performing GNR record would out-peform a lot of the smaller rock acts that labels put out (think Buckcherry etc)

My guess would be if negotiations broke down with the label, then it has to be that GNR asked for something that would alter the financial attractiveness of that deal to the label.

If for instance they wanted an unrealistic marketing commitment in advance, or 1990s level promo or tour support or something that modern sales can't justify unless you have a guaranteed smash. 

Otherwise it makes no sense. Even a bad GNR record would move a certain amount of units and the recording is paid for. There is very little reason for a label to reject it.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The problem with making a fine art rock record is that it's a fine art rock record. It has to have something for wide commercial audiences.

The items above would cost at least a million, probably a couple. The label would make a base 10% and want to farm it out to sporting events, movies, and the like. Can they with CD2? Doubtful by and large.

The thing is it's an important time for the GNR brand. To release electrofunk Bucket fuckery (as much as I'd love that) at this point is negligent from a brand management perspective. If an album is released it'll be the closest approximation to AFD2 you can get.

A new record would likely be somewhat creatively safe and then Axl can inch toward his trilogy plan from there if (and it's a big if) the Chinese era stuff is released as Guns N Roses.

I'm still in the camp that it's never coming. Too much bullshit, not enough reasons, and that's what the tea leaves are telling me.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is...they don't play any new songs live yet......

They played stuff from UYI prior to that coming out....and songs from CD since 2001 when it didn't come out until 2008.

The fact Axl does not demo a new song live suggests to me they don't have the current will to do anything new and that it isn't the label.

Board footer