You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

Lomax wrote:
misterID wrote:

Oh yeah, happens more than you think. Neil Young, Prince, Iggy Pop, Gwen Stephani, etc. Van Halen was told by their label they wouldn't release another Gary Cherone album.

I never knew that. That is very interesting. I suppose maybe releasing a bad album would be more damage to the brand so merch/previous album sales in the long run.

Wagszilla wrote:

In my view, if CD2 has one song on it as good as "Better" it's marketable and worth releasing. If it's leads are "Oh My God" and "Silkworms" circa 2012...

Yeah. I'd love to hear something like that. Better is a gem.
Hopefully without the leaks this time. I loved getting them at the time but they really did impact my experience of the album.
Back when the clips of IRS were leaking I had a basic knowledge of audio editing software and pasted them all together.
I did it the wrong way though and when the later leaks of IRS eventually came out they blew my mind.

If it was rejected, it could've been due to the music itself but just as likely it was due to the brand value and the way the market was trending at the time. The album was largely more of the same in Axl's own wards, DJ Ashba was the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses, and Axl fired his manager and was in the process of suing his former manager. This isn't exactly a recipe for operating in the black.

True. At the time I thought Ashba's departure would kill GNR too but it seems to have coincided with the reunion.

I think Axl left a couple of breadcrumbs with his "even if executives at the record company like it" and "it's about working with a producer" comments at the China Exchange. The label probably doesn't see much money to be made there. They know Axl is going to play hardball, they're not a young act, and they don't have a producer to pimp out on a near completed project. And to boot, now that Slash is back, Axl is holding all the cards.

You'll see it but I don't know if soon's the word.

Yeah. Ughhhh...
I really expected them to release something the night before Slane.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl is a fucking procrastinator he never finishes what he starts.

He was putting an album together as late as summer of 2015 as evidenced by the famous ghost photo. Him and Pitman did an extensive studio work.

Then suddenly he decided to give Slash a call and put album on the shelf. Fucker.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Yeah. Ughhhh...

If they play something new, I've always thought it'd be at Rock In Rio, but I don't expect it.

Ragnar wrote:

Yep. He's like a late career Orson Welles. I wonder if was due to lack of funding like Welles or sheer laziness.

Ragnar wrote:

He was putting an album together as late as summer of 2015 as evidenced by the famous ghost photo. Him and Pitman did an extensive studio work.

Pitman had his fingerprints on everything in the studio. Him leaving was pretty damning and not just leaving but suing Axl to boot.

The "oldies tour" thing wasn't just sour grapes, it was Pitman saying Axl was raising the white flag. I remember comments from Pitman awhile back saying what's great about Axl is he doesn't whore his past, he's about creating new stuff. You can argue that point but it just goes to show...

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

pitman was around cuz axl is lazy and needed someone on the payroll just to fidget with all the doodads and gimmicks in the studio. his departure is of no consequence, imo. his best contribution to guns was the wacky "oohhh weeeee oooooh" noises on the verses of the blues back in '02.... which didn't even make the album.

if new music happens these days, it's gonna have to be spontaneous. maybe sebastian will get axl stoned enough one day to call up slash, duff and izzy to meet him in the studio with mike clink...

i mean, who else would produce the damn thing if it ever happened? axl himself? trent reznor? rick rubin?

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Nonsense.

Pitman worked in the studio performing a variety of roles, wrote a couple of songs on the album, and is an accomplished musician in his own right. He has credits on most of the songs on the record.

If they were making a new record (gigantic if) then it'd be someone to take marching orders from Axl. Trent hates Axl so lmao no

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Yeah. Ughhhh...

If they play something new, I've always thought it'd be at Rock In Rio, but I don't expect it.

Ragnar wrote:

Yep. He's like a late career Orson Welles. I wonder if was due to lack of funding like Welles or sheer laziness.

Ragnar wrote:

Pitman had his fingerprints on everything in the studio. Him leaving was pretty damning and not just leaving but suing Axl to boot.

The "oldies tour" thing wasn't just sour grapes, it was Pitman saying Axl was raising the white flag. I remember comments from Pitman awhile back saying what's great about Axl is he doesn't whore his past, he's about creating new stuff. You can argue that point but it just goes to show...

Creating new stuff what for ? to keep it locked in the vault ? he does n`t give a shit, it`s obvious, he`s collecting retirement money. Shame, what a waste of huge talent.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Nonsense.

Pitman worked in the studio performing a variety of roles, wrote a couple of songs on the album, and is an accomplished musician in his own right. He has credits on most of the songs on the record.

If they were making a new record (gigantic if) then it'd be someone to take marching orders from Axl. Trent hates Axl so lmao no

Trent does n`t hate Axl. He praised him once. It was kind of a backhanded compliment but still far from hatred.

Honestly, I would n`t want Trent anywhere close to Guns`music. Axl > > > Trent any day. Axl will most likely co-produce the next album ( assuming there is one on the horizon ) like he always did.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

lol. the actual difference between the two is, Trent is creating music and releasing it. Axl just lives from his past and has zero creative output at least in 10 years, most probably even 15 years or more. so - it's quite funny to compare those two. and don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly huge fan of Trent, but still I can admire a guy dedicated to making music happen.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Trent hates all sort of prima donna antics and was quite territorial over Robin.

Also nearly everything I've read from him about Axl/GNR has been tinged with passive aggression.

I like Trent, even if I find everything he's done after The Slip to be outright terrible.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
zombux wrote:

lol. the actual difference between the two is, Trent is creating music and releasing it. Axl just lives from his past and has zero creative output at least in 10 years, most probably even 15 years or more. so - it's quite funny to compare those two. and don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly huge fan of Trent, but still I can admire a guy dedicated to making music happen.

14 and he can release twice as much as he already has, for all I care, it will still suck for me. Have you heard "Not The Actual Events" shit or " Hesitation Marks " ? " I`m just a copy of a, copy of a copy " horrible, fucking horrible.

He should have stopped after " The Fragile" everything he has released since has been either mediocre at best, or outright rubbish at worst.

What the fuck is this crap ?

Sounds like a Godflesh B-side. Don`t even get me started on " How To Destroy Angels" abomination. Genius, my dick.

Board footer