You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: New Tour Dates Added

misterID wrote:

Nah, I think you're being over dramatic. I consider myself a diehard, but I know I can't will them to do anything. I'd love new shit, but I'm not going to get bent over it. It might just be me. I guess I was at your point in 03-04. I'm long past the days of arguing what Axl should do. If I can make it through the DJ era I can get through anything. It's not a relationship. This isn't a company and I'm not buying stocks. GN'R isn't costing me anything. This is an artistic entity that carries itself the same way it has for 30 years. Why would I be so naive to think it would change, good or bad?

I'm following a band that is the musical equivalent of following Thomas Harris, but at least they're doing something.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The fact we're not naive enough to expect anything different after 30 years is part of what I mean by it's a con.....basically they don't care what the consumers and fans want, or what would be good artistically or about anything other than what brings them in easy money for as little work as possible...

No harm in artists making some coin...but you can feel the contempt anyone who wants them to actually be a band....it's been palpable for years....at least they're doing something huh?

I'll be ok with it if they do something after this tour..like that Ac/Dc album...or a new record...or hell put out silkworms that they last played live 15 years ago...or maybe that TIL remix where he had the awesome voice....anything really....but if it's a 3 year break...then another 2 year tour playing the same set again except with ever diminishing skills at some point you just have to wonder...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't expect anything from Axl.

I was cautioning others to not expect anything besides new tour dates when those videos were teased.

But when you gripe about things not going your way for years, say everything will be explained one day, and then do an about-face on new music for the reunion, well people get rightly annoyed.

Everything is going Axl's way right now. And they can't even be fucked with to put out a properly written press release or release promotional videos that don't mess with their fans heads. This isn't just hardcores mind you. Every blog comments section says the same thing: "Great! Millionaires! How about new music?" or "The tickets are so expensive!"

You can use fan's energy for your own interests. Or you can do what Guns has done since 2001. Passive-aggressive or aggressive antagonism.

Pitiful.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling like that or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that after all the stuff we've been through as a fanbase, this, right now, seems to be the breaking point for some. I thought things were going relatively good lately, with actual activity, good shows and band members we actually like. I guess I was wayyyyyy off base. 16

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The momentum has trended in the wrong direction and has exacerbated fan unrest.

Axl joining AC/DC and performing great kicked it off, those videos were a powder keg, and the fashion boutique cross-brand synergy $5000 leather jacket event thanks to Fernando was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think people thought Axl and Slash and a mountain of money meant some sort of forward momentum for Guns N' Roses. Finally. The real band is back. Not necessarily new music but more than an ethos of "let's just fulfill the contract and then go back to solo projects".

The whole thing started with great foreplay but looks to end with an unsatisfying completion.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

As cool as the shows are this whole thing could be so much better. This isn't Slash or Duff or Richard, this is all Axl.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling like that or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that after all the stuff we've been through as a fanbase, this, right now, seems to be the breaking point for some. I thought things were going relatively good lately, with actual activity, good shows and band members we actually like. I guess I was wayyyyyy off base. 16

I was waiting for someone else to chime in so I wouldn't have look like a dick... but you're 100% right. The vocal detractors (who all seem to claim to have no interest anyways!) of late have gone off their rocker to bash shit that millions of people are fucking loving. They're making presumptions based on people they have never met and they have no idea what they're talking about. A new song could be in the works and hit tomorrow and the people will flip their switch for a week until they get tired of the song. Or if there is no new music, the band never promised anything new, so shut the fuck up already, right? Anyone with half a brain should have expected about a 1% chance of anything new at all post Chinese to begin with. We got a Not in This Lifetime Tour... that's what everyone wanted to see before and now and the ticket sales are proof.

I'm tired of people claiming they're phoning it in or they don't care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be playing 3 hours and 10 fucking minutes a night. I saw GNR last Sunday and it got rave reviews from critics and fans alike, and every person I work with or know who knew I was going and knows I'm a huge fan ask how it was, and I tell them, and they say, yeah, I heard it was great from everyone. Everything is going fucking fantastic. With any luck, every few years we can get legit GNR shows go around the horn when the guys do their own things with the people they want to work with.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Long time no see, folks! I just had to come here and say that I basically gave up on GNR after I saw them for the second time last year.

I went to the Vegas shows and then, in November, got to see them in my hometown. 5 thousand miles and 7 months apart and the concerts were basically the same. I felt the bureaucracy around them and that was it.

I'm not even on forums or following concerts and setlists anymore. all the excitement has gone.

My main source of GNR news has been rolling stone, and I got to hear some new covers added to the setlist, also thought the Black Hole Sun homage was in good taste.

Besides that, to me, it's release new songs or, at least, make a plan public to move forward or get off. Nostalgia tour is ok and all but it has been this way, with multiple lineups, at least since 2011.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He's not late

Cant be late in this era. It would immediately kill the tour.

he's not ranting

What's he going to rant about....his prime rib not being rare enough? He's in his mid 50s, Seymour is ancient history, and Slash is up on stage. All rant options have expired. tongue

As far as the "con" goes.....

I always referred to it as a bait and switch. That's basically what new GNR was. Tease your hardcores with Chinese stuff to get them to buy a ticket and keep them interested, then hit the fans over the head with AFD. The pattern got established fairly early in the saga.

They don't have to bait and switch their audience anymore. What you see is exactly what you get. It's Axl, Slash, Duff, and what could wind up being a rotating cast depending on how long this goes. Its like an alternate universe where the UYI tour never ended.

I don't consider it a genuine con since every ticket buyer is now getting exactly what they want.

They're not teasing us with mentions of mind blowing new material. They're not mentioning phantom release dates. They don't have to anymore.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

This is the UYI Tour.

Goodness, Bob, look at those tour profits. Two and a half years? *whistles*

You're absolutely right, Jim. Impressive.

Boys, we're so excited you're back together after all these years. This is the show you have to go with. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

Too true, Bob. Too true. And we even did a demographic analysis and it says that these six songs from your Chinese Democracy album are the most popular. Straight from your fans at.... *snaps fingers*... what's the name of that website, Bob?

"Here Today... Gone To Hell"

Ahh yes, that's it. Here Today And Gone To Hell.

So, how about that cigar, boys?

Straight from my private collection.

Board footer