You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: Oh My God and the Thesis of Chinese Democracy

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I remember the story before that.

Did you get that section of the lyrics personally or just keep the copy that was posted online back in the day

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Great points on drums from both. They are different songs, as the '99 demos are earliest affirmed incarnations. What we got were multi-gen covers, partially by the original players. Axl wanted Brain's feel to the drums, while Jimmy Iovine felt Freese's drumming was too industrial. They were snappy and to the point, but the context was a Sean Beavan album with NIN alumni. The concept was Guns w/ industrial flavor. The drumming style fit.

Judging by OMG and the demos, I think Axl, there and then, managed the solo album he started talking about after the UYI tour. It was his understanding on where his (Guns') music should be in '96-99. All the people who pushed him back on that were daft, or failed to understand him at all. Point being, he was committed to that sound at that point in time, album readied. Push him back and he goes into thinking mode again, listening to a ton of music (his band and others), before coursing his vision through his own personality kinks. Which takes him a while.

On the OMG mix, there's the story about in the NYT article.

Mr. Rose fussed over the song so much that he, Mr. Iovine and studio technicians stayed up until nearly dawn adjusting the final mix, according to people involved.

Axl on manic mode, OCD'ing over everything, in a top-flight studio space at Rumbo. If the mix sounds like the work of a madman, it's because it is so. It would've benefited a more placid Axl going through the mix again and loosening it up.

There was a really great documentary on Iovine and Dr. Dre on HBO and I was really hoping against hope they'd mention the Axl period when he took over Geffen, because it was soooo in depth about his career. But alas... Nada.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

As the years since the first set of CD demos were made and since the first HOB concert, it semed Axl was taking the CD songs further and further away from the industrial sound. I think the OMG reaction had an affect. I understand it and kind of agree, but the one song hurt in that process was The Blues, which was incredible in 2002.

I actually think RTB made the right call to rerecord those 99 recordings, though. Chinese Democracy lost its window in 2006. Had the album came out then, we would be speaking completely differently about the album and Axl. Whatever fuck up happened shattered what could have been.

And I will always believe Merck helped sabotage Bucket.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

I remember the story before that.

Did you get that section of the lyrics personally or just keep the copy that was posted online back in the day

Just an online copy of the handwritten lyrics by Axl himself when teleprompters fucked up!

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

There was a really great documentary on Iovine and Dr. Dre on HBO and I was really hoping against hope they'd mention the Axl period when he took over Geffen, because it was soooo in depth about his career. But alas... Nada.

Probably because there must be some litigation or agreement to hold the peace as there's still a contract. I'd imagine that if they were completely separated the beams would be spilled.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:

Have any of the other pages of lyrics surfaced?

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Walker wrote:

Have any of the other pages of lyrics surfaced?

back in the day I saw the that and the 2nd verse posted either on mygnr or htgth.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

The whole OMG debacle and subsequent scrapping of whatever vision Axl had for Chinese Democracy voids myth of him being a badass who does n`t give a shit what others think of his music.

He does care, he cares so much, it borders on insecurity. Had he sent everyone to entertain themselves and had put it out when the iron was hot, maybe things would have panned out differently.

Board footer